Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never researched coolant as much as I have with the Giulia (I think it's because I care about the car a LOT). On these forums, I've read the handful of threads and still didn't seem clear to me. One of my reservoirs is below the min level, which made me start the research.

Here's what I found and what I'm thinking:

1. The Giulia uses an OAT based coolant
  2. The coolant in my 2018 Giulia TI is red/pink in both reservoirs and is the same type.
  3. The owners manual states a coolant with MS.90032 specification should be used.
    • When searching for this, the only one that shows up is Mopar MS.12106 which appears to be the same, but have read conflicting discussions. I assume this will work but is only available online where I'm located.
    • The factory fill is Paraflu up but is difficult to find in the US, at least not without expensive shipping.
  4. I read that Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 is compatible, but haven't seen too much discussion
    • The 50/50 prediluted version comes in a gold bottle with a red lid and states it is compatible with all makes/models and suitable for top up
    • The color is amber/orange, and claims it won't change the original color of the coolant in the reservoir (at least not significantly)
    • The website claims compatibility with Chrysler MS.12106 which matches my 3rd bullet above.
So I think I'm going to try Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 for a small top up, and will report if anything suspect occurs.

I would love to hear from anyone else's experience. I did see user jzchen went this route and haven't seen any negative updates. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe the 2 part numbers are based upon the same coolant. One is the full strength and the other is diluted. Funny thing is they are about the same price, so I would go for the full strength. I don't recall which was which...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You can buy it online..

I always recommend the pre mixed since it saves you the trouble of also going out and finding distilled water to mix the full strength coolant with

·
Registered
599 Posts
Yes, at first I tried GM Dexcool. DO NOT try that. This resulted with small dark cloudy areas.

The Peak Global Lifetime seemed fine upon top off. No discoloration either, which I read about when mixing/adding the Mopar stuff.

I just went to the Peak website and it notes European Pink 50/50 as Premium choice, and Global Lifetime as Enhanced choice. (It used to be Premium choice before. Not sure why they made such a change).

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,818 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Guys, I have discussed this before. The Mopar 10yr purple antifreeze is what you need 50/50 or the concentrate. I use the concentrate because it's cheaper in the long run and mix it with distilled water. It is 100% compatible with the original factory orange coolant just the color will be off due to the different dyes used. I can attest to this as I had to perform some cooling system repairs due to a botched warranty repair. I didn't want to go to the dealer and fixed it myself.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Guys, I have discussed this before. The Mopar 10yr purple antifreeze is what you need 50/50 or the concentrate. I use the concentrate because it's cheaper in the long run and mix it with distilled water. It is 100% compatible with the original factory orange coolant just the color will be off due to the different dyes used. I can attest to this as I had to perform some cooling system repairs due to a botched warranty repair. I didn't want to go to the dealer and fixed it myself.
Yep, got a purpled intercooler tank because I'm having to top it occassionally until I take it in to get fixed, again.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Jason, any idea why the rear tank is typically lower? Are they linked or separate systems? I just noticed men was low yesterday when I was putting my intake in. About 1/2” below min line.
I only guess there’s some air in the system from the factory and eventually bleeds out. It stabilized after the 2nd top off for us....

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Jason, any idea why the rear tank is typically lower? Are they linked or separate systems? I just noticed men was low yesterday when I was putting my intake in. About 1/2” below min line.
they are 2 completely separate cooling systems...if one or the other is continuously low, you more than likely have a leak

·
Vendor
1,818 Posts
If it stays close to that level all the time, then yes, top it off. You're not really loosing coolant per say but more like the fluid is in the lines rather than returning to the tank. Turn engine on and let it come up to temp, see where the level is on the rear tank. If still low, then you can top off.

Now, there are other possibilities, air in the system of course and turbo o-ring seal leaking (TSB for this but I cannot locate it right now). Check your records if it has been done. Most likely this was already done though if at all.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ok
Thanks
First time I noticed, but I haven’t popped the hood much. No need to. Car has been great! Just had my 10k service 2 weeks ago so I found it odd. My service Dept is pretty good. I’ll top it off and keep an eye on it.

·
Vendor
1,818 Posts
Yeah, just top it off. Put enough in to go just past Min. mark. Check in another few days.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just bought my 2017 Giulia TI a little while ago and have been following the coolant threads. My (used) Giulia has GREEN coolant in both reservoirs; it came that way from the dealer (not an Alfa dealer). At the time I didn’t know it should have been orange or purple. Am I screwed now? Should I flush the green coolant and replace with purple/orange? It’s been running fine (22k miles) so I’m not inclined to change anything yet. Also, it’s still under warranty. TIA

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Where did you purchase your used Giulia? Who changed the coolant? Green IAT antifreeze is incorrect for your Giulia. If I were you, I would drain, flush, and refill with the correct antifreeze. These days, it it can be very problematic to various under hood components if you are using the wrong antifreeze.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I just bought my 2017 Giulia TI a little while ago and have been following the coolant threads. My (used) Giulia has GREEN coolant in both reservoirs; it came that way from the dealer (not an Alfa dealer). At the time I didn’t know it should have been orange or purple. Am I screwed now? Should I flush the green coolant and replace with purple/orange? It’s been running fine (22k miles) so I’m not inclined to change anything yet. Also, it’s still under warranty. TIA
a lot of the universal coolants are green...so dont be scared just because of the color....it may actually be fine.....that being said, since you bought it used, I would return to that dealer and ask them nicely to change the coolant to the correct coolant since you are concerned that it may not be up to the spec that the car calls for and since its the wrong color, you cant even verify if its correct for the car

·
Registered
7 Posts
a lot of the universal coolants are green...so dont be scared just because of the color....it may actually be fine.....that being said, since you bought it used, I would return to that dealer and ask them nicely to change the coolant to the correct coolant since you are concerned that it may not be up to the spec that the car calls for and since its the wrong color, you cant even verify if its correct for the car
I bought it used from a Chevy dealer, so I KNOW they don’t have the right coolant. I guess I’ll just drain and replace the coolant myself. How hard could it be?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I bought it used from a Chevy dealer, so I KNOW they don’t have the right coolant. I guess I’ll just drain and replace the coolant myself. How hard could it be?
It has 2 separate systems and each one will need to be filled and bled properly...Its not rocket science but without the proper tools and instructions you could so some serious damage to the engine if there is an air pocket left in either system .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts