Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know/figured out a way to disable the **** seat belt alarm??

According to the manual, the dealer could do it, but my dealer told me "no sorry we can't"...

I'm not interested in reasons why i should put my seatbelt on, as that decision is mine to make, not the car's.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I wish you could disable it. When I'm coming home, I get out at the end of my driveway to get the mail, then when I get back in to drive up to the house, I have to put my seatbelt back on or that chime bores through my skull. It's like a 30 second trip at 10 mph on a private driveway, I'd love to disable it just for that.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I wish you could disable it. When I'm coming home, I get out at the end of my driveway to get the mail, then when I get back in to drive up to the house, I have to put my seatbelt back on or that chime bores through my skull. It's like a 30 second trip at 10 mph on a private driveway, I'd love to disable it just for that.
Similar issue here. Reference the thread on the turn signal buzzer. I wonder if that buzzer is also used for the seatbelt chime and if it can be simply disconnected?

·
Registered
296 Posts
The turn signal chime is a separate device behind the instrument cluster (I quieted mine down as you can see on the other thread).

Seat belt chime is piped through the speakers I believe.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
BGorilla buddy! 30 second drive just down your driveway....Heck of a First World problem

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
"Does anybody know/figured out a way to disable the **** seat belt alarm?? "

Use your seat belt ?

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
It is surprisingky annoying . Eprcially when your wife whines about it ! I have a protocol from FCA about turning it on or off, but I cant make it work. Part of the issue is that it references ignition key positions, which our cars really dont have. I can scan it when i get back home this weekend....

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
"Does anybody know/figured out a way to disable the **** seat belt alarm?? "

Use your seat belt ?
For a 90 second drive at 10-15MPH on a private driveway? It's wear and tear on the seatbelt and on me for nothing.

If the seatbelt chime is piped through the speakers, is the sound an auxiliary input to the amplifier or does the audio system create it internally in response to something like a canbus command? The former should be easy to disable while the latter could be very difficult.

Maybe MacGeek knows, or someone has gotten the schematics for the car?

·
Registered
420 Posts
For a 90 second drive at 10-15MPH on a private driveway? It's wear and tear on the seatbelt and on me for nothing.

If the seatbelt chime is piped through the speakers, is the sound an auxiliary input to the amplifier or does the audio system create it internally in response to something like a canbus command? The former should be easy to disable while the latter could be very difficult.

Maybe MacGeek knows, or someone has gotten the schematics for the car?
I have the same problem. My drive is about a 1/4 mile. The noise is very irritating.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Guys REALLY??!!...and in your other cars the chime for the seat belts are melodic??..LOL
The Alfa, for me, is no better no worse than any of my other cars.....

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Guys REALLY??!!...and in your other cars the chime for the seat belts are melodic??..LOL
Agreed, some people just have to find something to complain about.....

·
Registered
81 Posts
Agreed, some people just have to find something to complain about.....
It is very loud though. I dont mind the chime and it only chimes like 5 times and mutes. The issue is when the radio is on the chime is too loud. I would love a fix where the volume is reduced 10-20%. Life would be perfect. When it is 5am and that chime goes off in your left ear....rage.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think the main issue is most cars have a much longer delay before sounding the belt chime off - the Giulia doesn’t even let you start the car without a belt on.
A longer delay would help for sure.

My .02

Reactions: SDdreamer

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
So maybe its me...because as a point of reference better than 95% of my cars have been BMW and the chime is freaking annoying but not any worse than the Alfa....and it goes on and on in the BMW as well until I click the belt...maybe people who have a variety of brands it is different...
all I'm saying...for Christ's sake...LOL....

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Annoyance with chimes is a typical intended consequence of nanny government regulating your behavior not really car manufacturers....whether it is seat belts chime or too small toilet flush tanks we tend to instinctively blame manufacturer....
I agree that maybe delay could be longer, since I cant realy belt up until the seat is fully forward

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Buy an extra metal buckle (without the belt) and leave it plugged in 24/7
That may solve the issue.....:grin2:

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
The chime in my Truck and my Protege is generated by a separate plug in module. Both modules are in the glove box now.
The chime in my Crosstrek only comes on when the vehicle exceeds 10MPH. That works for me, so I left it alone. IMO, Subaru has the "right" implementation.

Multiple forum members have this complaint, so it should not be discounted. Just because it does not bother you does not mean that it is not a problem for others. Just because a BMW does the same thing does not make it right.

For most people the purpose is not to disable needing to have seatbelts on during highway driving, but to disable needing to have seatbelts on when seatbelts are unnecessary (parked, low speed driving, etc). Putting a buckle in the clip makes the seatbelts non-functional. I have no idea if shorting out the seatbelt engaged switch will cause errors to be thrown.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts