Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can people share their solutions / what I need to get to stop the rear plate clanging against the paint work every time I close the truck? @JerryNY , yours was cool but I forgot what you used now?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, don't really want to stick it down as i'm taking it off for track days. Maybe thick single sided tape will deaden it? I know Jerry had a good solution with stoppers and Velcro or something :D

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I had some self-adhesive felt furniture foot pads, one of which I stuck to the back of the plate (not to the car) to prevent rattles.

My plate frame has no clips or backing to hold the plate, it just sits atop the plate and is bolted through the top two holes, and was free to rattle against the plate in addition to the plate rattling against the car, soI also used a piece of clear packing tape to hold the bottom of the frame and plate together. The top is bolted to the car, so no problems there.

Slap dash, perhaps, but it is invisible and functional.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanks, don't really want to stick it down as i'm taking it off for track days. Maybe thick single sided tape will deaden it? I know Jerry had a good solution with stoppers and Velcro or something :D
I've used adhesive backed Velcro strips. You can pick it up at Home Depot.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I went for foam tape. I could only easily find double sided so I just trimmed off one layer of adhesive and its worked great since.

Reactions: FNM

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
all sounds great but pics and links are needed as i'm terribly lazy.. I use amazon prime to speed things up ;D

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Can people share their solutions / what I need to get to stop the rear plate clanging against the paint work every time I close the truck? @JerryNY , yours was cool but I forgot what you used now?
My QV had little black stick on rubber bumpers on the paint near the bottom corners of the plate area to prevent the metal plate from rattling. They look something like these:
Black Self-Adhesive Bumper Pads

Those things come in handy for everything.

I also noticed that there was no way to secure the bottom license plate screws, I think the mount only has screw attachments on top, so your plate will rattle against your chosen frame especially when you close the trunk. All I did was secure the bottom of my frame down with a small nut and bolt and covered the back of the plate with adhesive foam to prevent the bottom bolts from rubbing on the paint and further dampen any resonance the plate may make and eliminate any annoying rattle...

I used some of these adhesive foam squares. I also used them under my front plate so if the plate came lose, flexed or someone knocked it into the bumper it would have some cushioning...

4in4in1/8in 10Pcs Adhesive Foam Padding, Self Stick Weather Stripping Non-slip Furniture Pads Black Rubber Insulation 4 Inch Long X 4 Inch Wide X 1/8 Thickness

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks! Can you remind me where you put the nut in? If you can a chance to take a pic of the setup you'd get extra brownie points, maybe one free pass on a ban lol

·
Registered
658 Posts
Still think the 4 screw plate mount from Advance auto part number 79150 originally posted by Lowflier and detailed in the Rear License Plate thread and elsewhere is the best solution. It’s cheap and has been absolutely solid for me it’s a permanent fix. Haven’t even thought about the plate rattle for months.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
thanks! Can you remind me where you put the nut in? If you can a chance to take a pic of the setup you'd get extra brownie points, maybe one free pass on a ban lol
All I did was use some small nuts and bolts with washers to bolt the plate and frame together so the plate itself doesn’t free float at the bottom and rattle against the frame. I have a metal frame which is even worse of a rattle if you don’t sandwich the frame and plate together There’s no ways to actually screw the bottom two holes of the plate to the car and I didn’t want to make holes either. The only potentially bad thing about what I did is you have a bolt head that could hit the paint behind the plate. That’s why I covered the back with the foam. I use screw caps on the plate so you don’t see the ugly bolts. You can also use a bunch if those rubber bumpers to eliminate any metal to metal contact.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Also some plate frames don’t have bottom holes. If yours doesn’t just use some double sided tape to stick the frame to the plate if it rattles.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still think the 4 screw plate mount from Advance auto part number 79150 originally posted by Lowflier and detailed in the Rear License Plate thread and elsewhere is the best solution. It’s cheap and has been absolutely solid for me it’s a permanent fix. Haven’t even thought about the plate rattle for months.
Missed that one. That screws in fully without modification? If so might go that route as it's $5

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Did you have to drill holes for the bottom two or just use the top two mounting holes? My QV only came with two mounting holes on top and I just wanted a solution that didn’t require drilling any new ones...

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Missed that one. That screws in fully without modification? If so might go that route as it's $5
It's two additional screws to take out and put back in for track days, though, which is small, but decreases convenience.

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
658 Posts
Did you have to drill holes for the bottom two or just use the top two mounting holes? My QV only came with two mounting holes on top and I just wanted a solution that didn’t require drilling any new ones...
My Ti has 4 mounting points on the Giulia. But you have to have the backing plate to be able to use all of them. Then you can use the four holes on the license plate and frame into the backing plate on the Giulia.

Definitely no drilling required.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My Ti has 4 mounting points on the Giulia. But you have to have the backing plate to be able to use all of them. Then you can use the four holes on the license plate and frame into the backing plate on the Giulia.

Definitely no drilling required.
Mine has a two screw holds on the top but there aren’t any on the bottom. There are some white plastic plugs in the middle of the plate area where the foreign plates seem to go though.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts