Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://youtu.be/9yWKOkCQnCg

Hazards come on under moderate braking. As well as being annoying, it confuses other drivers; I've had two oncoming vehicles stop now to ask if I was OK as they thought I was flashing them to ask for help.

Does anybody know if this can be disabled?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
https://youtu.be/9yWKOkCQnCg

Hazards come on under moderate braking. As well as being annoying, it confuses other drivers; I've had two oncoming vehicles stop now to ask if I was OK as they thought I was flashing them to ask for help.

Does anybody know if this can be disabled?
Do you mean that the hazard lamps illuminate under hard braking?
Was that the the audio sounds heard?
Sounded like some kind of brake knocking sound.?
Was that the Premium Bi-Xenon headlights moving / turning with the curves?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Hazards are designed to flash under hard braking...several reviewers have indicated a concern that the hazards are activating under too light a pressure on the brakes. Seem likely to be "functioning as designed". I suggest posting in the new member area under the "AlfaRomeoCares" thread and asking this question.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you mean that the hazard lamps illuminate under hard braking?
Was that the the audio sounds heard?
Sounded like some kind of brake knocking sound.?
Was that the Premium Bi-Xenon headlights moving / turning with the curves?
Hazards flash at double speed under moderate braking.
The audio sound (click click click) is the hazards, like the clicking when you put the indicators on.
It isn't brake knocking, mechanically the car is good.

Yes, that is the premium Bi-Xenon headlights moving, I have a longer demo of them here: https://youtu.be/qJzMZNSArB4

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hazards are designed to flash under hard braking...several reviewers have indicated a concern that the hazards are activating under too light a pressure on the brakes. Seem likely to be "functioning as designed". I suggest posting in the new member area under the "AlfaRomeoCares" thread and asking this question.
Yes, I think it is designed like this. Officially Alfa won't advise if this can be disabled by the dealer, but there are some knowledgable people on this forum that may know otherwise, or a 3rd party that has a plug-in solution.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hazards flash at double speed under moderate braking.
The audio sound (click click click) is the hazards, like the clicking when you put the indicators on.
It isn't brake knocking, mechanically the car is good.

Yes, that is the premium Bi-Xenon headlights moving, I have a longer demo of them here: https://youtu.be/qJzMZNSArB4
I did not know about the hazard light/moderate braking feature. Interesting...
I watched the premium bi-xenon video. Cool!
WTF! You're driving on the wrong side of the road!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Cassino. Your not alone in finding this annoying. I drove a 300km mountain loop yesterday in the QV (for recreation). I drove half the journey in Dynamic (and half in Race). l had two instances under heavy braking where the hazard lights flashed. Most of my fast drives to date have been in Race mode so I have not yet encountered this phenomena. Around town in Dynamic (I dont think Ive ever driven my Giulia QV in Normal or Eco mode) of course I do not activate this feature.

I find it a curious feature which isnt present on any of my other cars ('16 Cayman GT4 and '17 Ford Focus RS). Like the trip computer reading "---" after 50 miles/km left in the tank I understand Alfa have designed it this way using some weird logic but neither "feature" serve any beneficial purpose IMO and neither add any value to the driving experience, no safety.

I can live with Infotainment idiosyncrasies, truth is I dont care much for in car audio or smartphone functionality but if there were three simple software changes I could lobby FCA to make on the QV after these last few month it would be:

1). Give me a speedo on Race mode please (and reinstate the direction and temperature in the top TH corner of the display). The gear selection already sits in the top LH display - I dont need to see it again and migger in the main display - Id rather know how fast I was going!

2). Let me see how many miles I have to travel before empty, even if its just an estimate and is not accurate. I need some kind of "security blanket" please.

3). Get rid of the hazard flashing on hard braking on A, N, D modes. I dont need to know Im braking hard, my right foot already knows that and its actually creating consternation to those im overtaking - they think Im about to break down in front of them!

Lastly, Id like the engine to fire up quicker when I hit the start button please. Ok, while we are at it please give me open exhaust valves from idle in Dynamic mode too :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
I am in the US, and did not know about this feature, but it would logically explain the noise I heard under moderately hard braking which I posted about in this thread...

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/7...es-problems/13226-brake-knocking-noise-4.html

I don't think I mind the feature, I just wish it only came on when the brake is applied harder. This seems like something more cars will eventually do in the name of "safety".

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Is this some type of EU regulatory requirement? i did break very hard numerous times in last 4 montjs and blinkers never came on....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Section 4.116 of the UK Highway Code states:

Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.

This is what UK legislation states regarding hazard lights:

Hazard warning signal device. Manner of use prohibited other than:
(i) to warn persons using the road of a temporary obstruction when the vehicle is at rest; or
(ii) on a motorway or unrestricted dual-carriageway, to warn following drivers of a need to slow down due to a temporary obstruction ahead; or
(iii) in the case of a bus, to summon assistance for the driver or any person acting as a conductor or inspector on the vehicle.

Seems that braking above 0.5g in D,N or A mode is causing me to break the law.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Section 4.116 of the UK Highway Code states:

Hazard warning lights. These may be used when your vehicle is stationary, to warn that it is temporarily obstructing traffic. Never use them as an excuse for dangerous or illegal parking. You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead. Only use them for long enough to ensure that your warning has been observed.

This is what UK legislation states regarding hazard lights:

Hazard warning signal device. Manner of use prohibited other than:
(i) to warn persons using the road of a temporary obstruction when the vehicle is at rest; or
(ii) on a motorway or unrestricted dual-carriageway, to warn following drivers of a need to slow down due to a temporary obstruction ahead; or
(iii) in the case of a bus, to summon assistance for the driver or any person acting as a conductor or inspector on the vehicle.

Seems that braking above 0.5g in D,N or A mode is causing me to break the law.
Interesting. In the USA it is common to turn on the hazard lights when driving slowly. Most truck (lory) drivers will turn on their hazard lights if their speed falls significantly below the speed limit to climb a hill for example. Another use is when driving slowly due to snow, ice, or fog. I sometimes turn them on for 2-3 flashes when someone uses a turn out to let me pass to say "thank you". I don't know about UK habits but in California slow drivers are supposed to use turnouts to let faster drivers pass (slow drivers being poorly defined), but only about 10% of them actually do so.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good find. The relevant clause in the relevant regulation is:

5.2.23.1. The signal shall not be activated when the vehicle deceleration is below 6 m/s2 but it may be generated at any deceleration at or above this value, the actual value being defined by the vehicle manufacturer.

The Giulia activates at the minimum allowable limit of approx 0.61g. In my opinion this is too low for a performance vehicle like the Quadrifoglio when Dynamic mode is selected.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,465 Posts
Reactions: SirRog and 407Guy

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
It's a good idea here in the states, if I need to brake hard and there is an F350 behind me, the more attention to the brakelights I can get, the better. I always knew the new Fiat 124 Spyder did this but didn't know if the Giulia did it

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
It's a good idea here in the states, if I need to brake hard and there is an F350 behind me, the more attention to the brakelights I can get, the better. I always knew the new Fiat 124 Spyder did this but didn't know if the Giulia did it
A while back MBZ introduced 2 stage brake lights for this purpose. I don't know if they are still offering them.

The 0.61 g (6m/s2) number is actually reasonable for this purpose. In highway traffic I have had people behind me veer onto the shoulder rather than apply their brakes hard. "Average" quality extra hard compound tires found on most trucks and many cars can only manage about 0.6 g anyway. Better driver training and periodic vehicle safety inspections would go a long way to improve things in California at least.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm confused. I have a QV and have broke very hard numerous times in spirited driving, bedding the brakes(80-0mph), etc. and never had this happen. Is this turned off in Race mode perhaps?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts