Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I've just taken delivery of a 2018 Giulia Ti Sport AWD with 19" wheel package in Alfa Rosso with a black/tan interior. It's got the 8.8" nav-enabled infotainment center, two packages with driver assist, park alert, lane keeping, active cruise, etc., and dual pane sunroof.

Some odd things popped up as soon as I picked it up:

1. the info center screen didn't turn on right away. I had to shut car off and restart before it came up.

2. a weird, burning oil smell while driving was very strong the first few hours, and may still be present. Kind of like a mix between a new exhaust and machine oil. Car had only 10 miles, so I assume it was just stuff getting hot for the first time.

3. outside mirrors didn't return to drive position from park position on restart once, and I had to shut off and restart to fix.

4. lots of buzzing from stereo at certain frequencies, probably from behind panels, perhaps wire bundles, panel clips, connectors or something like that. One song in particular seemed to have an abundance of those lower frequencies, and it reminded me of the kinds of buzzing I chased around as a teenager after upgrading stereo bits in my first cars in the late '80s and early '90s. Silly to hear in a car of this caliber.

Other than those things, it handles superbly, of course, and is fun to drive. It does feel slightly cramped for a hulking, 240lbs 6-footer like me, but it's a sport sedan, not a luxury sedan, so that comes with the territory (although it feels smaller than my friends BMW 335i, for example), and the lack of storage space, like for a cell phone, is slightly annoying, as is the absence of a dash area 12V plug for my radar detector.

I'll figure stuff out, though, and get settled in with the car I'm sure. I'm coming off a '16 Ford Edge, so the contrasts are stark. Previous to that it was an Audi A8, so again, it's been awhile since I've had a car this size, but I wanted to try the sporty thing, so I'm happy!

I'm looking forward to participating in the forum!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Welcome, beautiful car

Here are some of my thoughts going through the list ... Sometimes I misread things but please don't take anything I say as critical or harsh

1: Never had this problem, but have had a quirk of my phone not connecting twice over 7k miles (no big deal)

2: There was a smell that a lot of us experienced on 2017 cars that smelled a bit like an odor, but what you describe sounds a bit more than that. Mine only occurred under acceleration or restart after start/stop and it went away completely around 1500 miles or so, or sooner if you went to the dealer for the TSB issued. I say what you have sounds like an anomaly esp for 2018 cars, but keep an eye on it. If it never comes back, don't think much of it.

3: Know that the middle position for the mirror adjustment knob when pulled back is to close the mirrors manually (though electrically, ironically) and they do not open up unless the knob is pushed for the opening position. Maybe someone closed them manually but based on what you're saying that's not the case. I know if I lock the car, the mirrors fold (as I want them to as specified in the menu) and come back every time.

4: Only listen to pandora, or Sirius XM, so not familiar with FM experiences

My thoughts are that this car likes to be driven, and I think as you break it in and drive it around, quirks will disappear and it'll feel normal. I think my car feels better at 7k miles than it did when I picked it up, but that's just me.

:)

Max

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
welcome and congrats she's lovely! My thoughts are a lot of that might be solved by a software update minus the burning smell (I didn't get that). I'd run her for a check up as much as you won't want to be parted and use that warranty.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,790 Posts
Watch out for the deer and the sharpshooters.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, all!

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some of them are gremlins, but others are just weird build quality choices. For example, I’ve never experienced such hard-to-plug-into and chintzy feeling USB ports as the ones in the armrest bin. It must have been about 3mins of fiddling during which time I was feeling certain the things were just broken before I realized they’re just shitty and finicky. Apple brand USB plugs don’t even seat all the way in those things! Just weird, poor spec by Alfa.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I like your avatar. May I ask how the warp speed effect was achieved?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like your avatar. May I ask how the warp speed effect was achieved?
Eurocompulsion V2 Intake.

Ha! I wish! No, it's just a background offered by the iPhone app, Eraser.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome Chad! I'm in Dexter and my car should be arriving in April. Rosso over Tan Giulia Q2, Ti Sport, Performance Pack, leather dash, summer tires. Good call on your color combo ;)

Reactions: marcants19977

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for the welcome, everyone!

I’m definitely in for a meet-up! If we want to have it here in Ann Arbor, I’d be happy to host at my warehouse, and as I’m sure @TiSpdDmn can attest, we can rally on some nice roads just a short drive from town, west of Dexter. Actually, looking at his sig line, maybe he can get us on the proving grounds track! ;)

If anyone wants to propose a date, maybe in late April... Where would we organize this, in the Regional forum?

Also, if we do it here in Ann Arbor, I can wrangle my business partner into bringing out his ‘17 QV! We also have a pair of Stelvios in the company, too, so we gotta invite them!

Maybe we could get Ann Arbor Alfa Romeo in on it, too, for promo purposes, and we could take some fotos or whatever. I’ll squeeze ‘em for free swag!

Someone else who would be happy to have us by is the owner of Paesano Italian restaurant here in town; he’s an Alfa guy (‘59 Giulietta) and loves to post up sweet rides on the drive fronting the main road; he’s hosted my Porsche club before, and brought in cars to display from AA Alfa just for promo. It’d be a good post-drive lunch spot.

If there’s really interest for such a get together, I’m happy to take point on organizing it, or just lend a hand.

— Chaad

·
Registered
31 Posts

I’m definitely in for a meet-up! If we want to have it here in Ann Arbor, I’d be happy to host at my warehouse, and as I’m sure @TiSpdDmn can attest, we can rally on some nice roads just a short drive from town, west of Dexter. Actually, looking at his sig line, maybe he can get us on the proving grounds track! ;)

If anyone wants to propose a date, maybe in late April... Where would we organize this, in the Regional forum?

Also, if we do it here in Ann Arbor, I can wrangle my business partner into bringing out his ‘17 QV! We also have a pair of Stelvios in the company, too, so we gotta invite them!

Maybe we could get Ann Arbor Alfa Romeo in on it, too, for promo purposes, and we could take some fotos or whatever. I’ll squeeze ‘em for free swag!

Someone else who would be happy to have us by is the owner of Paesano Italian restaurant here in town; he’s an Alfa guy (‘59 Giulietta) and loves to post up sweet rides on the drive fronting the main road; he’s hosted my Porsche club before, and brought in cars to display from AA Alfa just for promo. It’d be a good post-drive lunch spot.

If there’s really interest for such a get together, I’m happy to take point on organizing it, or just lend a hand.

— Chaad

Wow you clearly already had a meet thought up in your mind, sounds great.... we have plenty of time to get this planned out and hopefully by then we'll have more giulia/stelvio owners that would be interested, it also gives me sometime to get eurocompulsion v2 and hopefully they will have their tuning module out by then.>:)

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Sounds as if A^2 rivals AH in per capita AR population. I wonder how GR is doing. Are 2017 sales by state available?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm in a2 also. I'm drooling over a couple cars on the a2 alfa lot. You guys are not helping my, "i don't need a new car" side.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk
You should go jump in one for a ride. Aldo and Patrick over there are nice guys, and easy with the test drives. They practically insisted I take a RWD model out in the snow just to prove how stable it was. I went Q4, but they were right!

Reactions: TiSpdDmn

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds as if A^2 rivals AH in per capita AR population. I wonder how GR is doing. Are 2017 sales by state available?
John over at Suburban on Jackson Rd, the parent dealership for A2 Alfa, pulled up a computer search on their system which showed that A2 Alfa had sold a total of 71 cars since opening 2 years ago. Well, 74 by end of that day!

FCA website offers sales figures, but I don’t know how granular they get; worth a look, anyway.

·
Registered
53 Posts

— Chaad
Chaad,

No, I can't get everyone in the proving grounds, at least not easily. It's something I'll feel out, but don't hold your breath. Sorry!

Regarding roads, yes... I have a good route that we use for evaluation and I also use for amusement. I'd be happy to lead a drive.

I've spoken at length with Patrick and he "gets it". He knows the importance of engaging with the enthusiast community. At the very minimum, I think they'd like to host a Cars and Coffee (or Macchine e Espresso might sound nice!). We could then do a drive from there.

What's this warehouse that you own? Does it contain cars? You can PM me if you'd rather not publicly discuss.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts