Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the Android Auto update they are installing on the 2018's will work on the 2017's?:D

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Nope

Does anyone know if the Android Auto update they are installing on the 2018's will work on the 2017's?:D
From everything I have read on this forum in numerous threads, the hardware on the 2017s can not handle AA or Carplay. They can not simply do a flash update. It will not work with the infotainment system in the 2017s.

·
Registered
86 Posts
HI guys
I am Italian but I was in touch of this picture that is evidently talking about US market
As you can see this picture is asking the presence of some hardware as minimum for the retrofit
The system infotainment must be RAJ (for 6,5") or RAN/ANA (for 8,8")
In EUROPE the last Giulia have RB4 and RB5
Infact another picture (coming from Germany market ) is asking different hardware

Can somebody that is owner of GIULIA check the code of his SYSTEM and report it here ?

Really appreciate your contribute
Paolo

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,910 Posts
HI guys
I am Italian but I was in touch of this picture that is evidently talking about US market
As you can see this picture is asking the presence of some hardware as minimum for the retrofit
Infact another picture (coming from Germany market ) is asking different hardware

Can somebody that is owner of GIULIA check the code of his SYSTEM and report it here ?

Paolo
Somewhat different subject: So the standard audio system (at least for Germany?) comes with 4 midrange 30watt speakers, 1 20 watt tweeter (in the dash?) and 1 40 watt woofer (on the deck behind the rear seats?). The RMS rating of all of the speakers is less than the power (peak?) rating of the amplifier. Compare with HK which adds 4 tweeters, increases the wattage rating of each speaker, and increases the total amplifier output to 900 watts (peak?).

·
Registered
140 Posts
HI guys

Paolo
US market must have different hardware, since they have the local (Satellite) HD radio system, which is unique to USA. In Europe we have FM or DAB radios.

The slide about the Carplay/Android Auto availability on German market refers to 6.5 NAV or 8.8 NAV as being the requirement. Non-NAV-systems do not seem to have Carplay/Android Auto-support. However, this might just be a licensing difference in the systems rather than difference in the hardware itself. If someone has access to the latest spares information, we could see whether the hardware itself is the same or not.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Somewhat different subject: So the standard audio system (at least for Germany?) comes with 4 midrange 30watt speakers, 1 20 watt tweeter (in the dash?) and 1 40 watt woofer (on the deck behind the rear seats?). The RMS rating of all of the speakers is less than the power (peak?) rating of the amplifier. Compare with HK which adds 4 tweeters, increases the wattage rating of each speaker, and increases the total amplifier output to 900 watts (peak?).
Wattage number of car amplifiers seem to be out of this world in general (this is not unique to Giulia's anyhow). The amplifier installed in Giulia will not provide more than 60 watts of real continuous power. It's is simply impossible considering the power cables used and the size of the amplifier itself (cannot include proper power supply in that size).

Hifi system seems to have 30A fuse. Peak power of more than 30 x 12 = 360 W would blow the fuse. Thus, even the peak power has to be a lot less than 300W.

·
Registered
86 Posts
HI guys

Paolo
Come on guys, nobody want contribute to analyze this topic ?
Many thanks
Paolo

·
Registered
86 Posts
How do you find these codes?
In Italy there is a sheet attached to the purchase Order where all the HW/SW installed (base and optional too) are listed and each has its code
For instance ... on my sheet you find (sorry for Italian language):

396 SOVRATAPPETI
733 CATALIZZATORE OSSIDANTE (D.P.F.) PER SISTEMA A RIGENERAZIONE
7BM PROTEZIONE FULL BODY COVER
CMB : DS COMBUSTIBILE : GASOLIO
TC : 3V CARROZZERIA : 3 VOLUMI
79U BATTICALCAGNO SPECIFICO 2
8G2 ALLARME SENZA TELECOMANDO
8TW WEST EUROPEAN MAP
COLEST : 217 COLORE ESTERNO : BIANCO
LA1 LANE DEPARTURE WARNING
RB4 DISPLAY MULTIFUNZIONE CON NAVIGATORE

·
Registered
440 Posts
In Italy there is a sheet attached to the purchase Order where all the HW/SW installed (base and optional too) are listed and each has its code

396 SOVRATAPPETI
8TW WEST EUROPEAN MAP

Thanks, I think only folks that special ordered their car will have that. It's the "Configuration Preview" sheet for us US folks

My radio shows RCA. I have the 8.8 HK Non-Nav

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thank you
So based on the picture ... you could have the system not available for retrofit ...
Correct, though I'm curious on what they mean by availability for other radios to be announced at a later date statement.

To me it just seems like they are trying to keep Android Auto/Apple Car Play from cannibalizing their Nav option on the outset.

So I think there's still more to come here.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Correct, though I'm curious on what they mean by availability for other radios to be announced at a later date statement.

To me it just seems like they are trying to keep Android Auto/Apple Car Play from cannibalizing their Nav option on the outset.

So I think there's still more to come here.
Completely agree with you !!
In Italy too there is a lot of confusion regarding Android and Car Play on AR cars ... we are asking to dealers, costumer care, Social Forum ... but we have not gained any certain information about
Good luck
Paolo

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,910 Posts
Wattage number of car amplifiers seem to be out of this world in general (this is not unique to Giulia's anyhow). The amplifier installed in Giulia will not provide more than 60 watts of real continuous power. It's is simply impossible considering the power cables used and the size of the amplifier itself (cannot include proper power supply in that size).

Hifi system seems to have 30A fuse. Peak power of more than 30 x 12 = 360 W would blow the fuse. Thus, even the peak power has to be a lot less than 300W.
Naw, power figures are a lot more complicated than simply looking at fuse ratings. First, peak power should be max voltage and amperage put on the speaker wire without any consideration for duration or distortion. The amplifier has capacitors built in that can supply for energy for a brief moment, plus the fuse will not blow immediately even if substantially more than 30A is drawn through it. Compare with max RMS which should consider both duration and distortion.

Second, I would not be surprised if the measure max power to one speaker, then multiply by the number of individually amplified speakers without considering that the amp might not really be able to drive all of the speakers at the max peak or RMS rating simultaneously.

Third, the amplifier is not 100% efficient. They can range from a few percent to 90% or so (a small amp that I recently reviewed for driving 1-200 MHz signals with roughly 0.1% THD managed a whole 3% efficiency in spite of having dynamically switched power rails and other advanced efficiency features), but to get lower distortion and wider frequency range the efficiency will be lower. So are those power amp numbers input power (typical of the way radio amplifiers are rated) or output power (the actual meaningful number)?

Fourth, speaker efficiency varies wildly from about 1.5% to 3.5% (the Harman 2 ohm speakers might be closer to 1%). More efficient speakers tend to be heavy and expensive while adding watts to the amplifier seems to be relatively inexpensive so I believe the inefficient speakers with big power amplifier configurations predominate simply because it is less expensive.

Multi-way speakers also have a built in crossover network that lowers the efficiency of the speaker.

The whole point of this exercise being to determine if the OEM speakers can be upgraded to get both better sound and less weight. Hopefully I am not misinterpreting the specs so any experts out there please chime in. Comparing 6.5" 4 ohm ceramic magnet speakers to 6.5" 8 ohm neodymium magnet speakers, I see that it should be possible to get about 5-6dB more sound in spite of the impedance mismatch combined with a roughly 3 pound per speaker weight reduction (alternatively, get about the same sound level with another 1 pound/speaker of weight reduction). Some tweaking of the equalizer settings may be necessary to compensate for the higher efficiency mid-range; or matching improvements to the tweeter(s) (not much weight to reduce) and woofer (Giulia uses an unusual size, so upgrading may be difficult) might be advisable.

One thing I am concerned about in changing speakers is to make certain that the speakers cannot be damaged by loud sounds from the amplifier.

I believe that more efficient speakers also tend to have less distortion due to having a stronger magnetic field and larger voice coil.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do not know where to get my Build sheet. I have the window sticker it says Premium 8.5 H K Stereo with Navigation

·
Registered
440 Posts
I do not know where to get my Build sheet. I have the window sticker it says Premium 8.5 H K Stereo with Navigation
The radio code that we're talking about here is only available on a "Configuration Preview" sheet. This is a print out I received from my dealer at the time I placed my special order.

As far as I know this is the only place where this code exists for US owners.

I've shared my build sheet and window sticker just for reference to highlight this.
https://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=ZARFAEEN4H7554160 - Build Sheet
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=ZARFAEEN4H7554160 - Window Sticker

·
Registered
86 Posts
The radio code that we're talking about here is only available on a "Configuration Preview" sheet. This is a print out I received from my dealer at the time I placed my special order.

As far as I know this is the only place where this code exists for US owners.

I've shared my build sheet and window sticker just for reference to highlight this.
https://www.chrysler.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=ZARFAEEN4H7554160 - Build Sheet
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=ZARFAEEN4H7554160 - Window Sticker
Thanks for sharing but on your build sheet there are not codes ...

I checked your VIN o ePER web site
Unfortunately it seems that you have not possibilities to retrofit to Android Auto or CarPlay as well ...
Just because on your car has not been installed the right hardware

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks for sharing but on your build sheet there are not codes ...

I checked your VIN o ePER web site
Unfortunately it seems that you have not possibilities to retrofit to Android Auto or CarPlay as well ...
Just because on your car has not been installed the right hardware
Thanks @paolocorpo. I'm aware my vehicle doesn't currently match the requirements for the campaign.

I think there's a challenge right now for any US owners to identify their radio code if they don't have access to the configuration preview sheet.

Hopefully we'll be hearing more from Alfa on this shortly.

·
Registered
231 Posts

396 SOVRATAPPETI
8TW WEST EUROPEAN MAP
As far as I know, we don't get these sheets with that listed information in the USA. A bunch of differences with this car depending on market.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts