Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

When I plug my phone into my car, AA will start up both on the infotainment screen and on my phone, but when it finishes loading, the infotainment screen will 'crash' back to the previous screen, leaving my phone in AA mode but without any functionality. I did get it to work once while the phone was plugged in, and I was playing with the AC vents, but I'm sure it was just a coincidence.

Anyone else experience this?

Verizon, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Android 8.0.0, latest version of Android Auto

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You try a different cable? Don’t use AA myself
but when things get wonky with ACP my first recommendation is always try a different cable...
I'll try a new cable if i can find an extra one, i am pretty sure i have one somewhere. Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah AA and ACP are deceptively high bandwidth applications so a marginal cable that’s fine for charging and just music might not cut it for AA/ACP. It’s the worst kind of situation because the cable might look fine and actually work when plugging it in but just cause issues all over the place making it easy to overlook as the culprit...

·
Registered
11 Posts
You try a different cable? Don’t use AA myself
but when things get wonky with ACP my first recommendation is always try a different cable...
Agreed. I have an iPhone, but the first thing the dealer told me when I bought the car was to make sure to use a cable that came from the manufacturer. In my case using an Apple cable. Maybe try using the cable that came with the phone

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice guys! If it matters, it's the same cable I used to play AA on my Charger. I might order a nice Anker cable from Amazon, as the original cable that came with my phone is on its last leg and currently serves as my bedroom night-time charging cable.

Reactions: Bender and RyanC883

·
Registered
443 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys! If it matters, it's the same cable I used to play AA on my Charger. I might order a nice Anker cable from Amazon, as the original cable that came with my phone is on its last leg and currently serves as my bedroom night-time charging cable.
I am using Anker for Android Auto and it's perfect. If that doesn't solve it (I bet it does) it's time to dig into background processes on the phone.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coming back for good news!

My old phone was retired and put to rest, so I got a new one! On paper, it's a downgrade (Motorola G6, used to have Samsung Galaxy S7E), but in real life, it's an amazing upgrade! It's a lot faster, smoother, and its battery lasts longer. Also, Android Auto works with it!

Thanks all for the help!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm trying to figure AA out myself. So far, here's what I know. My phone is also a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with AA & Waze installed. Although many suggest the problem is the cable, I think that it's something else. I have tried several original Samsung cables with the same symptoms/results. Once AA is up & running, it works flawlessly (suggesting it's not a cable problem).

Anyway, here's all that I have learned so far:

Android Auto – NOTES

1. Window Sticker – “Pre-wired for Apple Carplay & Google Android Auto” (but neither is an “installed” $100/ea option)
2. Car door label – Date of manufacture “11/17” (2018 Giulia)
3. System Page - Software
1. MV-056.000.007
2. TV-056.000.007
4. Android Auto works but initial “sync” with car is the apparent problem.
1. When connect phone to car USB, Android Auto Logo (sometimes) appears on dash screen – right side.
2. IF logo does not appear on dash, Android Auto is NOT going to work. Must re-plug USB until you get Logo.
3. If AA logo appears but then goes away seconds later, AA is NOT going to work. Must re-plug USB until you (again) get an AA logo.
4. Seems to help when trying to get the phone/car to sync, to alternately switch between USB ports on the car. (I switched between the console USB & glove box (right USB-2) connectors. This seems to re-set the car software to start fresh with a phone/car sync (but wouldn’t bet big bucks on this theory yet).
5. Tapping on the console control knob repeatedly seems to up the chances of AA syncing between phone/car.
6. Get notification on car the AA phone sync happening and to check the phone. Phone automatically starts AA and the AA app has a “swipe up” message on screen. Not sure yet if swiping up is required to make things work.
7. Also, message on dash that says to check the phone – not sure if a console knob response makes a difference.
8. Once AA is synced, “Android Auto” is a new selection on the menu (Radio, Media, Navigation, etc.) There is also a new AA choice on the control knob “12 o’clock” menu.
9. Note – Infotainment Menu “permanently” (phone connected or not) now includes an “Android Auto” choice:
1. Color Scheme - Auto/Day/Night
10. When AA is working, auto voice control is defaulted to Google voice recognition only! The car is NOT listening to your (other) voice commands. Only Google is listening to your commands. And, by the way, you don’t have to press the voice command button on the steering wheel. If you say “OK Google” or “Hey Google”, the phone is listening and will hear the command (but the car AA will respond). This may be specific to my phone – for others to find out. You have to temporarily “exit” AA (an AA menu choice) to get back to car voice control. To get back to AA, it’s a choice on the car menu.
11. It is sometimes impossible to “exit” AA to get back to the normal car menu to do other stuff.
12. Android Auto includes both Google Maps and Waze as choices for navigation. You can switch between the two using the control knob or talking to Mr. Google.
13. AA automatically has access to all of your contact information on the phone, so if you have address info in your contacts, the addresses are available as navigation destination choices. (Much easier than loading “favorites” into the TomTom car nav system.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Android Auto Research Project - UPDATE (& fixed some typos)

Still have not figured out how to make AA start up & stay connected to car on first USB plug-in.

As I said in the original post, my car is only "pre-wired" for AA & ACP. My window sticker does NOT show that I have either option really installed (the $100 each options that I've seen on other window stickers). Because of that, I thought that possibly, the flaky behavior might be that AA was really not "installed" in my car.

To test this idea, I connected my neighbor's iPhone to the car yesterday. In less than 5 seconds, Apple Carplay was up & running!! This suggests that my car is set up for AA & ACP. So the problem appears to be unique to AA. NOTE - I am only testing connectivity to the car, not operation - like navigation.

FYI - I had never seen ACP in operation so had no idea what would happen. My impression is that Apple did it (does it) correctly & Google/Android still has some work to do. (I'm saying this being a die-hard android fan).

From a display standpoint, ACP uses the *entire* dash display, making everything larger. AA, unfortunately, wastes about 1/3 of the display with a fixed AA icon. That makes the AA display noticeably smaller than ACP. This didn't really bother me before seeing ACP (and I thought it was a car display limitation. Now that I've seen ACP, I'm disappointed that AA can't/won't do the same.

Another thing to note, it seemed much easier to know which function was highlighted for selection with the control knob. I didn't spend much time on this. It probably had to do with both size of the display and Apple's color choices. After testing ACP for a very short time, when I again tried AA, the display was disappointing both for its smaller size and the "faded" color choices, making it a bit more difficult to quickly see what was highlighted for control knob selection. The workaround for this (I had already been doing this) is to rotate the control knob to see the highlight selection change. The fix --- AA should do a better job marking what selection is highlighted.

Again, this "test" was only to figure out what the AA connectivity problem is & nothing else. I now know that the problem is isolated to Android Auto. Best guess, it will take months before this is worth the attention of Google / Android / Samsung / Alfa Romeo. I suspect the problem has nothing to do directly with the car.

FYI - my phone is a Samsung S7 Edge running Oreo. To eliminate the phone as the problem, the next "test" will be to re-install the OS on the phone. Although Samsung provides the utility to do this, after re-installation, it will take hours to reorganize all of the phone display pages. I really don't want to do this but will as a test.

Finally --- it's not the USB cable - see the original post.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,635 Posts
You do have to install Android Auto. It's a free download. You have to setup permissions too.

AA on my Moto Z-Droid works fine, although some of the permissions get messed up after an OS update.

·
Registered
285 Posts
YES!!!

Although I had USB debugging disabled, I had Developer Options enabled so I shut that off. Now AA works!!

I only tried it twice but I'm a believer. The second time I tried it, I didn't touch the phone. It was still on the lock screen but AA started up.

I really don't have a real need for the Developer Options to be enabled so this looks like a fix.

Thanks!

(Will report back if I run into any other problems)

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you thought I didn't have AA installed on the phone, I guess I wasn't clear. AA is installed on the phone. All permissions enabled.

The "not installed" stuff I was talking about was on the car itself. According to the window sticker (2018 Giulia's), they are "pre-wired" for AA & ACP but apparently aren't supposed to work unless you actually buy them as an option ($100 each). On the many window stickers that I saw, although they were priced separately, all cars with the software installed had both. It was never one or the other.

The reason for mentioning this is that IF you have a "pre-wired" car, AA & ACP might work even though you didn't pay for the software to make it really work.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Update -

Sorry to report that disabling USB debugging (& shutting off Developer Options) didn't fix the problem. Syncing the phone to the car remains a crap shoot.

On a recent trip, it took many USB plug-unplug-plug-unplug-etc to get AA to sync to the car. Once up & running (navigating in progress) all is fine. One feature that I tried was sharing the trip with a contact. That worked very well. The person that I was driving to was on the list of share choices. She received an email that linked her to google maps that showed where I was.

On the way home, I sat in their driveway for over 10 minutes, first trying to get AA to sync between phone & car. Then I tried to share my ride home. It was pain factor 9.5.

Because of these problems, the next day, I did more testing. First, I ran AA standalone on the phone. It works fine. Once I then got it connected to the car (again plug-unplug-plug-unplug-etc) I tried to share a test trip with someone else. The odd thing is that, on the car, AA was not displaying my entire contact list that's on the phone. On the car, probably 15 of my 300+ contacts were available for sharing. I have not clue why this particular subset. They were not recent contacts. They were not in any particular order. On the list, I found the contact I wanted to test share & did it. AA confirmed that I was sharing the trip but the person I was supposedly sharing the trip with never got the email. We tried it several times with no luck. So, as a further test, I disconnected the phone from the car and sent an test email to the same share email addressed & that worked.

As another test about AA trip sharing, I went back to running AA only on the phone (not connected to the car). When I set up navigation, then went to Sharing, I had access to my complete contact list, in alphabetical order. I was able to choose multiple people to share my trip with (can't do that when sharing from the car)....and it worked.

Anyway, that's about it. I'm going to the dealer this week to see what they know about AA & compatibility issues with the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.