Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Android Auto just updated with their new UI. Some people on Reddit were able to get Widescreen functionality like in this video:

Meanwhile, mine is still stuck like this:

Anyone else get a functioning and not useless right side of the screen?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Someone at a 2016 car show did have it working in a Giulia, but it doesn't do anything for me and I don't see any evidence that it did anything for the guys in the video. I think AA "widescreen" is actually AA "HD". The aspect ratio of Giulia's screen is wider than cinematic widescreen and a lot wider than HD.

I've got AA 4.4.592344 release. Is there a newer version?

OTOH, I see "allow car and phone to negotiate" under developer settings -> video resolution. By default it seems that none of the setting were selected. However, no joy.

This guy claims that 1280x480 should work, but does not explain if anything needs to be configured on the phone

Note the complaint from a Stelvio owner in the comments that it does not work for him.

·
Registered
30 Posts
IT was at CES 2018 when some of the new AA features were demoed in an Alfa, including widescreen. Disappointing that it hasn't been released -- I'm assuming it's an Alfa issue. Here's the video link

·
Registered
418 Posts
So instead of having that Android Auto icon, looks like they put widgets in that area rather than make the main screen take up the full space

·
Registered
242 Posts
Someone at a 2016 car show did have it working in a Giulia, but it doesn't do anything for me and I don't see any evidence that it did anything for the guys in the video. I think AA "widescreen" is actually AA "HD". The aspect ratio of Giulia's screen is wider than cinematic widescreen and a lot wider than HD.

I've got AA 4.4.592344 release. Is there a newer version?

OTOH, I see "allow car and phone to negotiate" under developer settings -> video resolution. By default it seems that none of the setting were selected. However, no joy.

This guy claims that 1280x480 should work, but does not explain if anything needs to be configured on the phone

Note the complaint from a Stelvio owner in the comments that it does not work for him.
Yes, that's the version I have, but there's a new version is supposedly rolling out. Some users already reported that the update is out, but I personally haven't been able to download it yet. The linked video in the first post shows the new version which is supposedly able to support wide screen.

·
Registered
242 Posts
So instead of having that Android Auto icon, looks like they put widgets in that area rather than make the main screen take up the full space
Yes, that was my conclusion as well after watching the linked video. That is pretty disappointing. I hoped that I was finally able to see the map on the full width of the screen instead of the clock or now some useless widget.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Do we have to download a new app update or does alfa have to send a software update? Or both?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
IT was at CES 2018 when some of the new AA features were demoed in an Alfa, including widescreen. Disappointing that it hasn't been released -- I'm assuming it's an Alfa issue. Here's the video link
Thanks for the correction. It is worth noting that they moved the control buttons for google maps to the left side of the screen, freeing up some height for the map display.

FWIW: sometimes google cannot "hear" the microphone in my car. Is this unique to my car or has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I think this has been discussed before, but it's believed (maybe confirmed) that a software update to enable this would need to happen on the car side. That means 1.) AR producing an update and 2.) convincing a dealer to install it. Based on track records for this, I'd put the odds somewhere between slim and none.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just tried it on my 2018 QV and it does not work. I enabled developer mode and enabled 1080p and it still does not work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FWIW: sometimes google cannot "hear" the microphone in my car. Is this unique to my car or has anyone else had this problem?
I've actually had this happen a couple of times. I would press the "Talk" button on my steering wheel and Google would not be able to hear me. Still trying to figure out why..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, that was my conclusion as well after watching the linked video. That is pretty disappointing. I hoped that I was finally able to see the map on the full width of the screen instead of the clock or now some useless widget.
I would still rather there be something else rather than just "Android Auto" taking up space.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Am I wrong to guess that this can't be a one off infotainment software version Alfa is running in the car in this video? If not, then quite possibly the update is on Android side.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Just tried it on my 2018 QV and it does not work. I enabled developer mode and enabled 1080p and it still does not work.
The 8.8" display in Giulia is 1280 x 480, so enabling 1080p is not useful. I enabled "negotiate" instead.

In the CES demo they have Google Assistant enabled. Has anyone tried that? I am reluctant to do so since it requires allowing google to see everything on the phone OTOH, I keep very little information on my phone because of Google's out of control spying. When I get directions I give a neighbors' address, etc. Perhaps I am a bit paranoid, but not without justification.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The 8.8" display in Giulia is 1280 x 480, so enabling 1080p is not useful. I enabled "negotiate" instead.

In the CES demo they have Google Assistant enabled. Has anyone tried that? I am reluctant to do so since it requires allowing google to see everything on the phone OTOH, I keep very little information on my phone because of Google's out of control spying. When I get directions I give a neighbors' address, etc. Perhaps I am a bit paranoid, but not without justification.
Yes the all knowing Google, I would never have it or Alexa or Siri in car or house listening to everything.

knowing

·
Registered
83 Posts
A couple people on the Reddit post mention they need to clear the cache and data on the AA app for the new widescreen to work.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts