Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a little difficult to explain. But I finally got Android Auto working correctly on my 2018 Giulia Base Sport. Now, I've been been connecting my phone, and using voice commands such as 'Navigate to [contact name], home' and it seems to work great but I did notice that sometimes I'd get the reply - 'Sure. Which address? For example, you can say , the first'. This surprised me, since the contacts only had 1 address in my phone's Google contacts. It didn't matter whether I replied 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, it always routed me to the same (correct) address.

Confusing, but I think I've figured at least part of it out. I've connected 3 of our family phones to Giulia recently for Android Auto testing. Where we have shared contacts, that's where I'm getting the confusing message above, even though I only have one of them connected at a time. Furthermore, I've found that when I have my phone connected but ask it to navigate to a contact that is only on my wife's phone, the navigation route still appears.

I can only conclude that once a phone is connected, the navigation address (and maybe the phone number) goes into some database in the infotainment system that is then available to other Android Auto users. I don't generally see this as a problem except for the curious response I noted above. But what if the addresses are different? Android Auto doesn't tell me what the addresses are so I'd have to guess (1st, 2nd, etc). I can edit/delete my own contact list but I don't see anywhere I can edit/delete entries in this presumed database.

Sorry if this all sounds a little confusing but I didn't expect this. Am I on the right tract and anyone know how to get to this database of contact address information in Giulia?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I seem to recall that under settings for the bluetooth you can ask the car to save address information yes or no.
I assume that if you select save (on more then one phone) you get the problem you described. If no, it should just use the address base on the current phone.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Android 'anything' is ultimately owned by Google. Google tracts everything and stores it all in a cloud setting. I wouldn't be surprised if it's accessing something from the cloud. And, yes, it could be storing data in the infotainment device itself.

I guess the next question would be: If you have one phone connected and try to call a contact that is not in that phone, what happens?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I seem to recall that under settings for the bluetooth you can ask the car to save address information yes or no.
I assume that if you select save (on more then one phone) you get the problem you described. If no, it should just use the address base on the current phone.
I did see an option in Settings/Bluetooth to save (or not) personal data but it didn't specifically mention address. But maybe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts