Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, we picked up our 2018 Giulia Base Sport which we factory ordered back in August 2017. The main reason we went with a 2018 was the promised support of Android Auto ( & Apple Carplay). Love, love the car but playing around with Android Auto is a little frustrating. I'd love to hear other's experience. Here's what I found so far:

1. I got AA to launch when plugged it. It uses only about half of the 8.8" screen.

2. I was able to make a phone call to one of my contacts without problem. Haven't tried texting yet.

3. Without a touch screen makes moving between functions very hard. I was able to do it by moving the rotary pad back and then rotating the pad left or right. Pushing the pad down to chose a function usually moved the selection to the adjacent choice.

4. AA started listening as soon as I pressed the steering wheel button or moved the rotary dial to the right. However using voice to ask it to drive (or navigate) to one of my contacts (Google maps) was successful only about 1 out of 20 attempts. Usually the response was something like "Sorry I can't help with that".

5. Once I used the voice command to ask it to play a station on iHeartradio. The response was that iHeartradio was not available in my country (I'm in the USA and have used iHeartradio on the AA app on my phone). When I picked the station using the rotary dial from my AA screen, it worked just fine.

This may just be a learning curve issue but I was sure expecting it to work much easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Let me know if yours instructs you to return to magnetti marelli like mine did when I tried android auto on my 2018. Google maps was displayed on the nav screen

·
Registered
63 Posts
Just got my car few days ago. I can say Android Auto is much more difficult to use without touch screen. Using dial takes lot of getting used to. However, voice controls work really well and those are with the price alone.

As for screen I agree it should fill the entire screen. My wives Cadillac Escalade does and it is not same deminsions as phone. They would be able to fix this in an update easily.

Overall it is good and glad I have it but I wouldn't consider it a deal breaker if you don't. Having maps on split screen with Bluetooth audio accomplishes most of the Android Auto unless you depend on Waze or Google maps alot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tried texting and using voice is easy for sending while voice transcription on incoming texts work well.

However I just realized that navigation with Google Maps doesn't work at all. In fact, a blank screen is displayed where the map should be. Maybe that's why I can't use voice to navigate to any contacts. I'm just told, Sorry, I can't help with that. The other strange thing is that the Android Auto main screen shows the temperature for Turpan, which from I can tell is a city in China. I live in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. I'm beginning to think Android Auto, at least my version, is not quite finished.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have tried texting and using voice is easy for sending while voice transcription on incoming texts work well.

However I just realized that navigation with Google Maps doesn't work at all. In fact, a blank screen is displayed where the map should be. Maybe that's why I can't use voice to navigate to any contacts. I'm just told, Sorry, I can't help with that. The other strange thing is that the Android Auto main screen shows the temperature for Turpan, which from I can tell is a city in China. I live in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. I'm beginning to think Android Auto, at least my version, is not quite finished.
Did you give permission to Android auto to your GPS and whatever else it needs? Sounds to me like it doesn't have permission so it's defaulting to manufacturing location.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Navigation with Google Maps is still unworkable. Voice commands aren't understood by Google. Also, where I thought the navigation screen was blank (actually black) isn't quite right. I was able to zoom out a bit to realize that there is a map there just not with the right GPS coordinates. It's really my location with the correct latitude but with the longitude 180 degrees off. It's black because it's nighttime in China (I'm in Wisconsin). I assume I must be one of the rare ones with this problem, else I'd be reading bout this wide scale problem. Back to the dealer on Monday.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I just tried using Android Auto on my new 2018 model Ti and it never appeared on my infotainment screen. Am I doing something wrong? It is my understanding that MY 2018 Giulias have it built into the infotainment system. I have the Android Auto selection under the "Infotainment" settings but all it does is change the background color from "Day" to "Night."

Am I missing something or doing something wrong? I downloaded the app on my Google Pixel, and it automatically turns on when I turn on the car (even my Pandora starts playing), though nothing ever appears on the screen as far as the App interface itself.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Are you plugged in via USB?

If you have your phone set up with your Giulia via Blue tooth Android Auto will auto launch on your phone when it connects via blue tooth. (that feature is on by default I believe- in the app)

You have to connect via USB AA won't work via BT.

It should Auto Launch as soon as you connect your phone.

If your Build Date is before Sept 2017 you highly likely do not have ACP/AA.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Are you plugged in via USB?

If you have your phone set up with your Giulia via Blue tooth Android Auto will auto launch on your phone when it connects via blue tooth. (that feature is on by default I believe- in the app)

You have to connect via USB AA won't work via BT.

It should Auto Launch as soon as you connect your phone.

If your Build Date is before Sept 2017 you highly likely do not have ACP/AA.
The build date, IIRC, is 10/2017. So I should disconnect my phone from Bluetooth and then plug-in with a USB? I tried plugging in with the USB. It definitely works as my phone started charging. I figured it was possible that since my phone connected via Bluetooth that Android Auto wouldn't cast, but I wanted to make sure. I'll try disconnecting from BT if that's the case and see if AA appears once I plug-in.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Shouldn't matter if it is connected via blue tooth. mine always is and when I plug it in via usb AA comes right up. Is there anything in settings about ACP/AA on the infotainment? Or with your phone plugged in do you get an AA option when you hit the menu button (Left of selector dial)?

If it doesn't work I believe yours would be the first I have heard of that doesn't have working ACP/AA with a build date after Sept 2017.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I feel sorry for you guys that need navigation to get where you want to go. Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: OmniStrife

·
Registered
535 Posts
Shouldn't matter if it is connected via blue tooth. mine always is and when I plug it in via usb AA comes right up. Is there anything in settings about ACP/AA on the infotainment? Or with your phone plugged in do you get an AA option when you hit the menu button (Left of selector dial)?

If it doesn't work I believe yours would be the first I have heard of that doesn't have working ACP/AA with a build date after Sept 2017.
Yeah, like I said whether connected to Bluetooth or not I tried multiple times to plug into the USB and AA never appeared on the Infotainment screen. The only thing I noticed was an Android Auto option under "Infotainment" and you can change the background element, though the actual AA interface never appears. The app on my phone automatically opens and Pandora even starts playing over the radio. Only other thing I can think of is that the USB chord is somehow faulty, but my phone begins charging once I plug in. Strange. Just annoying since I'm a huge music fan and I'd like to be able to have multiple playlists available to play in the car.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Pleased to say that it was a bad USB chord. Used a newer one and it loaded just fine.

·
Registered
573 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts