Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had about 5 warranty issues with my Giulia TI, which now has about 6k miles. Most of these were electronic and resolved by software updates. The most recent ones were discoloration of the (previously) black trim strips surrounding the the windows on both sides (the body is MonteCarlo blue). Also, an intermittent failure of the A/C after driving for about 2 hours in >90F weather.

While my Giulia was in the shop having the trim replaced, the Giulia loaner went on the fritz and had to be towed back to the dealer! It was presumably the same engine management problem I had with my Giulia about 5 months ago: misfiring and barely running, with CEL and "service engine" message. The problem with my car was quickly resolved with a software refresh.

After cursing Alfa and the dealer for 2 weeks, and even contemplating getting a buy-back, I did get my Giulia back yesterday, and fell in love all over again. What a great driving, responsive, comfortable, good-looking car. What else in that price range could replace it? They couldn't replicate the intermittent A/C failure, so that's still an annoyance. Anyone else have a similar problem with the A/C?
Don

·
Registered
332 Posts
I've had about 5 warranty issues with my Giulia TI, which now has about 6k miles. Most of these were electronic and resolved by software updates. The most recent ones were discoloration of the (previously) black trim strips surrounding the the windows on both sides (the body is MonteCarlo blue). Also, an intermittent failure of the A/C after driving for about 2 hours in >90F weather.

While my Giulia was in the shop having the trim replaced, the Giulia loaner went on the fritz and had to be towed back to the dealer! It was presumably the same engine management problem I had with my Giulia about 5 months ago: misfiring and barely running, with CEL and "service engine" message. The problem with my car was quickly resolved with a software refresh.

After cursing Alfa and the dealer for 2 weeks, and even contemplating getting a buy-back, I did get my Giulia back yesterday, and fell in love all over again. What a great driving, responsive, comfortable, good-looking car. What else in that price range could replace it? They couldn't replicate the intermittent A/C failure, so that's still an annoyance. Anyone else have a similar problem with the A/C?
Don
are you going to henrick? whats their service like? i havent been a fan.

There is another thread on the A/C similar problem to yours and seems there are many people with that issue. I heard that taking it off auto prevents it but its only anecdotal.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Good to see a couple other folks from the triangle region of NC on the forum. Don, sorry you’re having so many problems with your car. And you’d think that they would have put all the updates on their loaner cars. Ugh.

Colin

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
They couldn't replicate the intermittent A/C failure, so that's still an annoyance. Anyone else have a similar problem with the A/C?
Don
Sfourza,

My 1994 348 had a notorious HVAC system that was stone age OBD1 digital. Even had a hidden fuse under the carpet between the wiper cowl and front boot. My system still worked up until I was hit last year, and probably still does in another car after the total ;) But it used to freak out after extended use and show an ER code on the two digit digital green LEDs. You could set temperatures from Lo - about 60'F to Hi about 80'F and it would do automatic climate control style management. But then after working hard on cooling, especially in traffic with no flow through the ac scoop on the front passenger bumper skirt, fan and all, it would throw an ER or EE or E3 code. Shutting down and restarting after a while was just fine. Like some sensor or memory limit, or chip lockup was just being caused by heat and data overload. Like many digital devices, they can go wacky when the transistors and chips get warm.

This is not an excuse, but a hint at understanding how bean counting and penny pinching can cause problems when you try to squeeze too much out of a computer system. It boils down to real physics, chemistry and engineering. All the code in the world won't run if the processor gets fouled up. Or the mightiest processors in the world won't do squat if the code sucks. See my point? I'm sorry you had a double whammy like this but it leads to another point, customer service and product management. Not updating a loaner and sending it out is lazy and unprofessional. It shouldn't have happened especially after the issues have been made known on sold vehicles.

It's kind of like our IT management on our city system "here." Our workstations should update nightly for Windows and Adobe Flash. All we have to do is log off and the routines run automatically. But Flash hasn't been updated in weeks AFAIK and it's been going on for years. It ties into a whole other bunch of issues up the chain with staffing and all that, but ... 2 cars is not an entire lot of vehicles. Come on!

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Isn't crazy on how we are with this car? I mean, this car has many issues! My car has it. I've taken the car 5 times to get it serviced since April when i bought it. But once you get it back you fall in love it it again!!! You lose your mind! I just don't get it. No car has given me this raw attraction and emotion as the Giulia has so I have been tolerable. If it would have been any other car, I would have blown it up by now haha.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
The True Test

fact is, and it has been said SO MANY times already....completely new platform, first year run cars have issues...period.
before anyone gets their panties twisted I know this is no excuse...
all I'm saying is that many people like the OP have had issues...I had a couple with my Quad...and yet there are many who have had NOTHING....EVERYONE needs the software updates, patches, flashes whatever you tech guys care to call them...and most everyone has said that those cured many of the issues that they experienced....my issues were actually hardware related...though once I received the updates my infotainment system was as it should have been from the get-go...
that said....The True Test will be with all the MY18 cars.....these cars SHOULD NOT & BETTER NOT have the same issues present in the MY17 cars....Alfa needs to get this right on the MY18 cars if they plan on being successful....
to date I have not heard anything bad about the MY18 Stelvio though I have not really been following it...

the other reality to the "Alfa Question" is that the dealer network leaves much to be desired for quite a few forum members...
that in my eyes is the real issue facing Alfa NA. EVERY marque has good/bad dealers that is just a function of commerce unfortunately. Alfa, being in competition with Merc/AUDI/BMW etc. needs to work on the service end.
@the request of a fellow board member I had to help a fellow Quad owner reach out to a new dealer for service because the current dealer is just not capable.
@OP feel for you, really do, at the end of the day though when its right you really notice the difference in the driving of the Giulia, it is really well done, unfortunately when its wrong its a horror show at times. best advice I can offer is search out a quality dealer....everybody here searches out the BEST DEAL $$$ wise, spend the same amount of time looking for a great shop.
to those whose location poses logistical issues with the amount of dealers or locations....your task is harder for sure...
Rant Over
Regards Alfisti
M

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My A/C failed to cool last week after start-up. Switched it off, then back on, it cooled. Computers...

·
Registered
296 Posts
The most recent ones were discoloration of the (previously) black trim strips surrounding the the windows on both sides

While my Giulia was in the shop having the trim replaced,?
Don
Wow - trim discolored already?
- car kept outside?
- got any photos?
- and wax or powerful cleaners used on the trim?

Sorry to hear.

Thanks for any feedback in advance!

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts