Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know there is a magic date at around Dec 2017, after that date all car can update to apple car play. I checked the VIN of the car I am going to buy, it says the production date is in 2018. But it only has pre-wired Apple car play.

My question is, can I update this to Apple car play? Has anyone who has a 2018 production date successfully done that?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,721 Posts
My car was fabricated in Sept 2017 but was "release to vendor" status at the port of San Diego throughout December 2017. It was delivered with Android Auto installed and working. I think the only way to be 100% certain is to try it. However, checking for the $200 line item on the window sticker for AA and ACP might actually be sufficient.

My AA decided to stop working properly about 1 week ago (it won't let me make a phone call). I wonder if some phone SW update is not quite compatible with the car SW.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I know there is a magic date at around Dec 2017, after that date all car can update to apple car play. I checked the VIN of the car I am going to buy, it says the production date is in 2018. But it only has pre-wired Apple car play.

My question is, can I update this to Apple car play? Has anyone who has a 2018 production date successfully done that?
No and No.

There may have been reports of ACP working unexpectedly, but I don't know if in a car with the "prewired" designation on the window sticker; certainly Lockem's suggestion to plug in and check is easy to do, but do not buy with the expectation to get an update to make the feature operable, rather find a car which has the feature(s) listed as standard equipment on the window sticker.

Additionally, insofar as "magic dates" go, I'd suggest a more useful implementation of the concept would be to look for MY18s with build dates from 9/17 forward as having Apple CarPlay and Android Auto enabled.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,172 Posts
My car's build date is 09/17. The window sticker states 'pre-wired' in the standard features, but had additional options of ACP/AA for $100 each. I can confirm that ACP works in my car.

Cheers

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the result of VIN number is actually the model year? not the real build year?
I asked the dealer but they only replied me that it can update to the Apple Carplay. But I don't think they know what's going on...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
My car's build date is 09/17. The window sticker states 'pre-wired' in the standard features, but had additional options of ACP/AA for $100 each. I can confirm that ACP works in my car.

Cheers
I think I have the same date too on my QV and ACP works. Haven’t tested AA though.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
So the result of VIN number is actually the model year? not the real build year?
I asked the dealer but they only replied me that it can update to the Apple Carplay. But I don't think they know what's going on...
I don't understand what you're asking, but can give you assurance that your dealer almost certainly does not know what is going on.

Reactions: RyanC883

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Cheers
hi
where do you live? Did you went to a service center and ask them to update?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am confused with these... I like the color of the car, but it only has pre-wired. I asked Alfa Cares account in this forum but never get a reply.
It looks like I have to buy a car with other color.
I think this is a simple question, why Alfa don't want to clarify it?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I am confused with these... I like the color of the car, but it only has pre-wired. I asked Alfa Cares account in this forum but never get a reply.
AA/ACP matters more to you than color? Color you look at every day. A high level of connectivity is still achieved with Bluetooth. This seems like a no brainier to me.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I only like one color.

So real. To think you’re giving it out for free...

·
Registered
448 Posts
AA/ACP matters more to you than color? Color you look at every day. A high level of connectivity is still achieved with Bluetooth. This seems like a no brainier to me.
Some people need navigation with real time traffic info every day too, and that cannot be achieved through Bluetooth. Some people after spending nearly 50k on a new car might not want a ghetto phone mount on their dashboard either.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,172 Posts
hi
where do you live? Did you went to a service center and ask them to update?

Houston. My car came installed with it, I didnt have to have anything done after purchase.

If the car has it installed, you will see it on the window sticker, either in the standard or optional sections. Test it out with your phone to confirm it. IMHO, if this feature is important to you, make sure the car has it before signing on the dotted line (I say this based on what i've read other users saying on these forums).

At the end of the day, just make sure you get the car you want.

Good luck.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Some people need navigation with real time traffic info every day too, and that cannot be achieved through Bluetooth. Some people after spending nearly 50k on a new car might not want a ghetto phone mount on their dashboard either.
Waze absolutely achieves this via Bluetooth. You don't have to look down and it verbally gives you prompts. This is what I've been doing for ten years in my cars.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Alfa cannot clarify anything, because FCA has NO CLUE what's going on, with anything in the vehicles. The "we need to call Italy for this and that' is ridiculous. Never need to "Call Germany" if I had an issue with an Audi or BMW, which was almost never.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Waze absolutely achieves this via Bluetooth. You don't have to look down and it verbally gives you prompts. This is what I've been doing for ten years in my cars.
Sorry, but I don't think you can have Waze running on your infotainment display. Probably what you meant is running the Waze app on your phone and having the navigation prompts coming through the car speaker via Bluetooth. Well, that's not the same thing as having Android Auto or Apple CarPlay integrated with the system and the navigation shown on the 8.8 inch infotainment screen right in your line of sight. I personally would never even put a dashboard phone holder in my car when I can have everything I need running through the infotainment screen. Yes, I also used to have that in my 13-year old Audi, but this is 2018. Many of you trivialized this issue as something not important, but it is important for lot of people, especially if you drive in high traffic and unfamiliar areas. Apple just announced that they will allow 3rd party maps on CarPlay, so you could run Waze on your car not on a small phone screen.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I know the color is important. But I also don't like to mount a cellphone in front of me. One of the reason I like Giulia is that it has an integrated display, not some iPad-like thing stand outside.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Houston. My car came installed with it, I didnt have to have anything done after purchase.

If the car has it installed, you will see it on the window sticker, either in the standard or optional sections. Test it out with your phone to confirm it. IMHO, if this feature is important to you, make sure the car has it before signing on the dotted line (I say this based on what i've read other users saying on these forums).

At the end of the day, just make sure you get the car you want.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I will definitely do it very carefully.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sorry, but I don't think you can have Waze running on your infotainment display. Probably what you meant is running the Waze app on your phone and having the navigation prompts coming through the car speaker via Bluetooth. Well, that's not the same thing as having Android Auto or Apple CarPlay integrated with the system and the navigation shown on the 8.8 inch infotainment screen right in your line of sight. I personally would never even put a dashboard phone holder in my car when I can have everything I need running through the infotainment screen. Yes, I also used to have that in my 13-year old Audi, but this is 2018. Many of you trivialized this issue as something not important, but it is important for lot of people, especially if you drive in high traffic and unfamiliar areas. Apple just announced that they will allow 3rd party maps on CarPlay, so you could run Waze on your car not on a small phone screen.
You shouldn't be looking at ANY screen while driving. Not your car display, not your phone. NONE. That's why they have voice prompts. At 30 miles an hour you travel 44 feet in a single second. Looking at a nav screen you're probably looking down at least a second and a half or 66 feet. This is longer than a semi-truck. Please don't take your eyes off the road for any reason. Use the voice prompts.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Bender drops in to every CarPlay thread to let us all know that we're wrong for wanting CarPlay.

Bender, no one here is capable of convincing you. You've made that clear.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts