Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting in a doctor’s office waiting room with about eight other people.
A man burst through the door and literally yelled “is that anyone’s Alfa Romeo outside!?”
Sheepishly raising my hand, I could only imagine the horrible damage he had inflicted on my car.
“Belissima,” he shouted to the entire room. “What a beautiful car, I used to have a 156 GTA in South Africa. I haven’t seen a Giulia yet. You have wonderful taste, that is probably the best car on sale in America today!”
An old guy stood up, muttering, “you have my curiosity, I have to see this.” He looked out the window and said, “Oh, that’s one of those cars that can’t pass a repair shop without costing you a thousand bucks. I know—I used to have an MG!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
I literally have to restrain myself every time someone makes a smartass comment about the car's reliability. People just trying to make themselves feel better about not having the car for themselves. Like give me a break.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I literally have to restrain myself every time someone makes a smartass comment about the car's reliability. People just trying to make themselves feel better about not having the car for themselves. Like give me a break.
Was at a cars and coffee recently and overheard and older man in his 70s talking to another while standing next to my QV....saying that these cars were underpowered, poorly designed and he wouldn't pay the 50k MSRP for those. I bit my tongue. My 13 year old son wanted to set him straight but I explained to him you'll all through life meet these types of miserable people who have to berate something to feel important to others. I told him these types of people won't listen so it's not worth the breath to try to educate their ignorance.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My 13 year old son wanted to set him straight but I explained to him you'll all through life meet these types of miserable people who have to berate something to feel important to others. I told him these types of people won't listen so it's not worth the breath to try to educate their ignorance.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I was pulling into work yesterday when this lady walked up to me and asked about the car. Basically she likes it but has never spoke to anyone who has ever bought one. She was into cars and currently had a 1 series that was eternally broken and how BMW's are 'no longer special'. I spent 15 minutes basically selling my own car to her, all the incentives and last I checked she's on the way to the dealer after work.

-BMW broken and no longer special- seems to be a common theme. :)

Oh and yes, the reliability issue- my best friend is Italian (Sicilian) - and he cracks about it. So, I fire back- I tell him Italian flat tire jokes. No, I'm not gonna tell them here. His grandpa drove nothing but Alfa's in his youth, and Cadillacs as he got old.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Was at a cars and coffee recently and overheard and older man in his 70s talking to another while standing next to my QV....saying that these cars were underpowered, poorly designed and he wouldn't pay the 50k MSRP for those. I bit my tongue. My 13 year old son wanted to set him straight but I explained to him you'll all through life meet these types of miserable people who have to berate something to feel important to others. I told him these types of people won't listen so it's not worth the breath to try to educate their ignorance.
My Standard Pitch :

1) When people speak of Alfa reliability, they are usually referring to the cars from the early 90's (since they haven't) been in the USA since 95. Unless you live in Europe or the UK .....
2) Most of the cars that people are referring to are front wheel drive fiats, that are re-badged. This is a new rear wheel drive architecture that shares no parts with fiats.
3) This car\SUV is brand new and needs to establish a reliability record, what reliability record ?? Its not a Fiat .....
4) People usually just make stuff up with absolutely no basis of facts ....

I will acknowledge the dealer support seems a bit spotty in certain areas, we are fortunate in Denver to have Mike Ward ......

Bob

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nice to have a Hot-Air Balloon describe the QV as under-powered. I'll give him a ride in mine and see if he calls it "under-powered"

·
Registered
134 Posts
The worst I had so far was when I was at the Exotics @ Redmond was some guy telling his lady friend that the QV looked just like a BMW and he would never own one. I was so dumbfounded I couldn't even come up with a decent retort.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The worst I had so far was when I was at the Exotics @ Redmond was some guy telling his lady friend that the QV looked just like a BMW and he would never own one. I was so dumbfounded I couldn't even come up with a decent retort.
Redmond is an endless sea of silver German cars - many of which are driven by imported techie posers. You get arrested on Mercer Island if you don't drive a Mercedes.

(I grew up in the area :) )

·
Registered
134 Posts
Redmond is an endless sea of silver German cars - many of which are driven by imported techie posers. You get arrested on Mercer Island if you don't drive a Mercedes.

(I grew up in the area :) )
It really is the land of sliver imports (lots of the fancy Hondas driving around too). The other day I was a red Audi in a parking lot and darn near caused an accident. I didn't realize that Audis came in other colors beside silver.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I do not explain anything to any basher, they are but a blip in my life

If Alfa is a Romero to them any effort is pointless, Alfa will fight this for a long time

When I was a kid in Europe, japanese cars had reputation of being made for 60k kms then they all explode....until they buzzed around with 300k kms without any problems or rust (super common on euro cars in 70’s; some Lancias and Alfasud for example were rusty before first oil change) and people’s perception started to change

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

(I grew up in the area /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif )
It really is the land of sliver cars. The other day I was a red Audi in a parking lot and darn near caused an accident. I didn't realize that Audis came in other colors beside silver.
You should see Germany, they have something against colors, all cars are something between black and silver lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
It really is the land of sliver imports (lots of the fancy Hondas driving around too). The other day I was a red Audi in a parking lot and darn near caused an accident. I didn't realize that Audis came in other colors beside silver.
NE 8th St @ lunchtime. LOL. Nothing but Audi / BMW / Benz. Maybe a Subaru or two.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Someone mentioned the Alfa reliability reputation came from early '90s cars, the last ones sold here. Maybe, among some, but having owned and driven an '83 Spider through the '80s (was running strong at 116K miles when I had to sell it before moving overseas), I found that the Alfa reliability trope went back to the '70s, when Alfas had a bad rust problem (most cars did then but Alfa was among the worst), and the SPICA mechanical fuel injection gave them a reputation for being mechanically finicky. No matter that they went to Bosh L-Jetronic in '81 (with the GTV6; '82 with the Spider) and became every bit as reliable as the solid BMW E30s which also used L-Jetronic. But the Spider was "Eye-Talian" and so was surely an unreliable POS (even my erudite dad would refer to me car as "that Italian POS", even though it carried my to 160K miles with only one breakdown, and that was when a $10 Bosh sensor went out, screwing up the air/fuel mixture... could have happened to most European cars of that era. I've never had another breakdown in any of my ten other Alfas, apart from one instance that was completely on me for installing the connectors to a component wrong).

Anyway, judging Alfa by '70s cars would be like judging an '18 Mustang by the Mustang II or the Fusion by the Tempo, especially as those who knowledgeably (presumably) opine on Alfa reliability in the U.S. have zero knowledge of Alfas of the last twenty years (and zero knowledge of past Alfas as well, almost always). Even in the Fiat era, Alfa made some pretty good cars with reliability on par with other European premium cars according to warranty data. There's zero basis for assuming that Alfa reliability will be any worse than any other European car, as CR unabashedly did (but if I listened to them I'd be driving a Prius, so enough said about them). To paraphrase H.L. Mencken, when it comes (at least) to auto knowledge, you aren't in much danger of underestimating the intelligence of the American public, no matter how low your opinion. Reading Jalopnik or YouTube comments makes one think that maybe democracy is an experiment doomed for failure, if those same people are voting (to be fair though, I'll trust the ignorant masses before self-appointed elite, because at least the worst impulses of the masses are uncoordinated, unlike the elite).

·
Registered
422 Posts
Someone mentioned the Alfa reliability reputation came from early '90s cars, the last ones sold here. Maybe, among some, but having owned and driven an '83 Spider through the '80s (was running strong at 116K miles when I had to sell it before moving overseas), I found that the Alfa reliability trope went back to the '70s, when Alfas had a bad rust problem (most cars did then but Alfa was among the worst), and the SPICA mechanical fuel injection gave them a reputation for being mechanically finicky. No matter that they went to Bosh L-Jetronic in '81 (with the GTV6; '82 with the Spider) and became every bit as reliable as the solid BMW E30s which also used L-Jetronic. But the Spider was "Eye-Talian" and so was surely an unreliable POS (even my erudite dad would refer to me car as "that Italian POS", even though it carried my to 160K miles with only one breakdown, and that was when a $10 Bosh sensor went out, screwing up the air/fuel mixture... could have happened to most European cars of that era. I've never had another breakdown in any of my ten other Alfas, apart from one instance that was completely on me for installing the connectors to a component wrong).

Anyway, judging Alfa by '70s cars would be like judging an '18 Mustang by the Mustang II or the Fusion by the Tempo, especially as those who knowledgeably (presumably) opine on Alfa reliability in the U.S. have zero knowledge of Alfas of the last twenty years (and zero knowledge of past Alfas as well, almost always). Even in the Fiat era, Alfa made some pretty good cars with reliability on par with other European premium cars according to warranty data. There's zero basis for assuming that Alfa reliability will be any worse than any other European car, as CR unabashedly did (but if I listened to them I'd be driving a Prius, so enough said about them). To paraphrase H.L. Mencken, when it comes (at least) to auto knowledge, you aren't in much danger of underestimating the intelligence of the American public, no matter how low your opinion. Reading Jalopnik or YouTube comments makes one think that maybe democracy is an experiment doomed for failure, if those same people are voting (to be fair though, I'll trust the ignorant masses before self-appointed elite, because at least the worst impulses of the masses are uncoordinated, unlike the elite).
Things have definitely changed- we're in a global era of design and engineering. A lot of the technology is shared across borders and between brands and price ranges. The same people build all the sensors and bits that make up a lot of the car these days.

I don't expect this car to be particularly worse in reliability than any other mid-high range Euro car. Once the assembly line defects are fixed, the car should stay together.

·
Registered
460 Posts
p.s., I should mention to that there's always been a sort of populist prejudice against Italian cars in the U.S., especially among the muscle car crowd: fragile cars designed by tight pant-wearing, espresso-sipping effetes, shabbily assembled by swarthy Marxist laborers. Can hardly conceive of a more un-American car.

p.p.s. to the original topic, I get approached all the time with questions or admiring comments. Funny that when I pick my kid up from school, other elementary kids get all excited about it. It seems U.S. kids know more about Alfa than their parents. I think this is one reason Alfa can use an expensive halo car; kids learn about cars from Gran Tourismo and Forza, and the cars they want are the hot ones. Trickle down car theory.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts