Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic and I were checking out my Giulia under hood when he pointed out the strut tower, and the fact that it is an alloy casting. No flex possible in that chassis component. I have never seen this level of quality in a passenger car. No wonder everybody raves about the steering quality!

Attachments

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
798 Posts
Keep Looking - More Amazing!!

My mechanic and I were checking out my Giulia under hood when he pointed out the strut tower, and the fact that it is an alloy casting. No flex possible in that chassis component. I have never seen this level of quality in a passenger car. No wonder everybody raves about the steering quality!
I was similarly blown away when I poked around in other parts of the car. Look into the wheel wells and look at the quality of the suspension components behind those wheels.

Look underneath see the quilted aluminum fairing and the gorgeous CNC and casting work on the ZF transmission. Peek under the driveshaft tunnel (also quilted aluminum) and get a glance at the Carbon driveshaft and aircraft grade UJs. Look at the rear (LSD, since you've got the Performance Package) diff housing.

finally, take a magnet, or your magnetic trouble light (like I did), and try to find any steel under the hood (to attach the troublelight to) and on the body parts. That's because so much of our Gs are aluminium, and steel is only used where it matters (roll cage/armor for the passengers).

Amazing is right. Piece of rolling auto car-art!!

Sure, there are some foibles and certainly some owners are not being delighted and/or even downright upset. I am still giddy about this car.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Awesome post and reply guys - yes these are built quite special.
Lots to love for sure!!!

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
86 Posts
Don't forget all Giulia models started life as a QV platform, unlike the M3 and AMG C63, which started life as a base 3 series or C series sedan and were upgraded to get to M3 and C63 level of performance.

This was a deliberate and unusual approach by Alfa, and what you are noting in your comments are the results.

Every Giulia is built on a first class, high performance platform, and all model buyers benefit.

This article mentions this approach, as have others I have seen. Subtle but important distinction.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2017-alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-first-drive/

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Huh...?? How can this be...???

But it's not German....!! Only German cars can have UBER QUALITY !!!! VAT IZ GOING ONZ HERE....???

·
Registered
647 Posts
But it's not German....!! Only German cars can have UBER QUALITY !!!! VAT IZ GOING ONZ HERE....???
I bought my base Giulia Q4, mainly because of its Italian Engineering and Italian Charisma! In keeping with the current worldwide PC movement it has a German transmission, Bridgestone RFT tires made in Poland and a carbon fiber drive shaft made by Hitachi in Japan. BTW, my wife was also made in Japan!

My Giulia is very inclusive, aka diverse! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
On the TI the doors, hood, front fenders are aluminum, trunk and rear fenders steel.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Great post and replies. It is nice to read about the quality aspects of the car, instead of the problems people experience which tend to dominate forums like this. After all, you're not likely to get 20,000+ views on a thread titled "love my ally casted strut tower."

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Good thread, guys :cool:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm blown away by how good is this car (Q4 Ti Sport). My life-long way of compensating for not chasing the road less traveled, be that flying bush planes in Alaska, running off with the circus or joining a pirate crew, has been to indulge in cars, old and new. Of the 30+ I've owned, and many more of course simply driven, I thought the best of the bunch had been a 987 Cayman S with Sport Chrono. Apart from the underwhelming engine noise, which sounded like some sort of exotic vacuum cleaner, the car was preternaturally good at being exceptionally good. It was perfectly "dialed-in", whatever that means exactly (I'm not really sure, but if any car is dialed-in, it is that Cayman S). But it wasn't my very favorite, that honor going to an '84 GTV6. I let the GTV6 go because I had to make room for the latest acquisition, at the time, and I've since regretted it. That car was not the Platonic Ideal of sports car perfection as was the Cayman S, but it sounded better at idle than the Cayman S did under hard acceleration, and it was just as fun (though in a different way), and of course it oozed character. Not good at much else besides having fun and looking (and sounding) great doing it, but that's all I asked of it and it delivered like no other.

When I let the Cayman go (for an Odyssey) I thought I would never again own a car that felt so perfect as I've now got two boys and I need back seats. A friend who had a 987 Cayman S as well, and now owns a 991 911, insists that the 991 feels every bit as good as that Cayman S (he was never impressed by the 997 911). The 991 has back seats but I love my boys too much to force them to sit back there. As well, they are a little pricey for what you get, at least for someone with a budget, IMO.

So along comes the Giulia which feels just as dialed-in as that Cayman S, which I like just as much as the GTV6 (so it's tied with the Cayman S as the most dialed-in car I've ever driven and tied with the GTV6 as my favorite to drive), which has perfectly usable back seats, and which even my wife seems to like (which might be a first, eminently practical as she tends to be). I don't even miss an NA engine and a manual transmission as I'm so impressed with the power and torque of the 2.0T, and the quickness of the paddle shifting. I'm amazed at the build quality throughout. They really did this right. Too bad the software people stumbled so badly but that's fixable; the stuff that's baked in is as good as you'll get outside of a car costing two to three times as much. Couldn't be happier or more impressed with this car. Friends and coworkers who've seen it are genuinely impressed as well. They think it's head and shoulders above like-priced cars. Just love this car in a way that's, if not illegal in most Southern states, would certainly be frowned upon. Great job Sergio for getting the right people to realize this car, and then letting them do it! Software issues aside (which will become merely a footnote in the car's history), this car will be seen as an industry game-changer, I've no doubt, much like the E46 nearly twenty years ago, where everyone else spent the better part of a decade trying to catch up. That's how good this is, I believe.

p.s. speaking of the E46, a 330i ZHP had been the best sedan I'd ever owned, and driven for that matter, until now. I lamented that BMW no longer made cars that felt that good, that in-tune with the driver, but Alfa's stepped in fill the void. Feels like someone's arisen to challenge The Beatles, that's how unlikely this all seems to me. Two years ago I was hoping to see Alfa come out with something that was passable (there was still rumors of FWD); I'd have never dreamed they'd come out with the best driver's sedan in a generation (at least). A lot of what I've written might seem like hyperbole, or recent-purchase enthusiasm, but I can say that I really am this impressed and I have every expectation the glow won't fade.

p.p.s. This is probably the wrong sub-forum. Is there a "This I Believe!" forum?

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
There are a lot of mechanical things about the Giulia that Alfa probably didn't need to make as nice as they actually did and they would have still been competitive. The engineering behind this platform is beyond impressive.

It's too bad that is being overshadowed by a few small QC and software issues. Thanks for recognizing the inherent quality in the chassis!

·
Registered
57 Posts
One of my good friends was brought up on south African race tracks. His father runs a business designing and building one off components. When I first popped the bonnet on the guilia, his comment was roughly "Jesus, it's designed like a GT Race Car"

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
While I agree (enthusiastically!) with much of this, there are still plenty of places where the Giulia is almost disappointingly conventional. I'm looking at you, seat tracks and door hinges (to name two). Oh to have pieces worthy of a concept car to go with the rest of the wonderment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts