Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Giulia. There are some really good deals at dealerships in my area for around $34,000 making it hard to wait for a 2018.

This car will be my daily driver and I spend a lot of time driving on the highway. I have a VERY reliable 2013 Kia Optima that has never seen service and has been driven to the bone. I have read a lot about the issues with the Giulia.

My question is: Am I almost guaranteed to spend tons of time and energy at the dealership with issues?

I know that problems/issues are always going to be easy to find while looking at forums, but it seems like every one of these cars breaks down regularly. I have never had issues with cars I have owned and don't want to invest in a car that I will spend fixing more than driving.

Are the issues that bad? Also, are the issues software related and has the newest update as of August 11th fixed most of the issues?

I am deciding between this car and a Mercedes CLA 250 or C300.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
A Mercedes and lots of highway miles is a recipe for expensive repairs. Once you are out of warranty, those cars are pretty expensive to maintain. By the same token, so would a Giulia. As for issues, mine haven't taken the car down (i.e. made it undrivable) and it was a Jan '17 build with all the old software.

Lots of time and miles on the highway, a Kia is hard to beat with that crazy warranty.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My car, a Ti w/19' Sport package, was a Nov '16 build that I got in Feb 2017. It has been to the dealer once, for a software update early on dealing with a stop start issue. It only stalled once, in my driveway and my dealer got me in the same day and did the update. Since then, nearly 2500 miles of trouble free driving. I am behind on software updates, but none are anything that affects the way the car drives (infotainment update, etc) All I can say is this car is fantastic!

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
547 Posts
My car is a May 17 build Q4 Ti 19" Sport loaded and with a few mods and I have not had a single issue, no rattles, no stalling, no brake noise, nothing other than the remote start doesn't work but it didn't work the day I drove it off the lot. Eventually I will get around to taking her in and having the update for the remote. I absolutely love her. I find excuses just to go somewhere, so I can get behind the wheel. I maybe one of the lucky ones, NO I know I am one of the lucky ones cause I have a Giulia that I enjoy every single day.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I am veryit seems like every one of these cars breaks down regularly.
Not at all, the majority of owners aren't on forums and even those who are and had issues are only a small fraction of the total.
My Giulia has been flawless and the best car I've ever owned.

That said, if you plan to spend very long hours on the highway... it might be a waste of a good car, to be cruised all the time. The Kia might do that job just fine.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
My personal rationale is, if you are going to spend lots of time behind the wheel, do it in a car that you will enjoy.

This car certainly checks that box.

In regards to reliability, mechanical issues there have been very very few. Software wise there have been a handful with updates to address the majority of issues. I think these cars will hold up well aside from the few software hiccups, which also plague Mercedes Benz, BMW and Audi.

Fight Status Quo and get the Alfa!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey there,

I made this decision 5 months ago and never regreted that. Giulia (Veloce, i'm from Poland) has been the best car i have ever driven. The handling is superb, driving experience way better than C300 or 330i... I have almost 5500 miles on mine and didn't have a signle malfunction.

Cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a Giulia. There are some really good deals at dealerships in my area for around $34,000 making it hard to wait for a 2018.

This car will be my daily driver and I spend a lot of time driving on the highway. I have a VERY reliable 2013 Kia Optima that has never seen service and has been driven to the bone. I have read a lot about the issues with the Giulia.

My question is: Am I almost guaranteed to spend tons of time and energy at the dealership with issues?

I know that problems/issues are always going to be easy to find while looking at forums, but it seems like every one of these cars breaks down regularly. I have never had issues with cars I have owned and don't want to invest in a car that I will spend fixing more than driving.

Are the issues that bad? Also, are the issues software related and has the newest update as of August 11th fixed most of the issues?

I am deciding between this car and a Mercedes CLA 250 or C300.
The mercedes is so played out.. it's so common like a Honda civic.. if u want to stand out and be unique go for the alfa. .if u want to stay with kia.. wait for the Stinger.. designed by Peter Shreyer from Audi and performance by albert from M division of bmw.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Thanks for the responses, I did some more research last night and am leaning towards buying a Guilia in the next couple of weeks
Despite my earlier response, I like it. It's not a rational choice, and that's the point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses, I did some more research last night and am leaning towards buying a Guilia in the next couple of weeks
Despite my earlier response, I like it. It's not a rational choice, and that's the point.
That's the battle I have been fighting for a month. It's not rational which makes me want it more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts