Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are Alfa Romeo OEM alloys even made - anyone?

I accidently got in contact with a ebay dealer, who informed me the WSP W258 are made at same factory as the OEM 5EQ alloys, using same mold, material, color everything..

This is the 2020 line up for the Giulia:

I'm on the hunt for a staggered set of the "5EQ - 19" Performance burnished alloy rims"
Now, colors on webpages will always vary some due photo/ lighting, but to me the W258 look identical...

·
Registered
124 Posts

I accidently got in contact with a ebay dealer, who informed me the WSP W258 are made at same factory as the OEM 5EQ alloys, using same mold, material, color everything..

View attachment 102526

I'm on the hunt for a staggered set of the "5EQ - 19" Performance burnished alloy rims"
Now, colors on webpages will always vary some due photo/ lighting, but to me the W258 look identical...
View attachment 102527
View attachment 102528

View attachment 102526

View attachment 102527
View attachment 102528
Yeah man.I am in the same boat.Looking for winter set of 19' and considering between WSP and OEM. I didn't find any info about where and who exactly makes the OEMs but they are 2 times more cash than WSP here in Europe.That leads me to the conclusion that WSP are made in China, under Italian management.This is not necessarily bad thing, but I really doubt they have the same strength and finish quality , like OEM.I was looking for OZ Leggier HLT too.They cost same as OEM, but found really mixed reviews of their strength and ruled them out for now. I suppose the OEM are made in Italy , for that price.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose the OEM are made in Italy , for that price.
Loads of spareparts to Alfa are made by sub suppliers and simply stamped Fiat/ Alfa for OEM.
Iirc TRW makes loads of suspension parts for Alfa.

Pretty sure even OEM's alloys are made in China - not really a bad thing as long quality control is done.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Loads of spareparts to Alfa are made by sub suppliers and simply stamped Fiat/ Alfa for OEM.
Iirc TRW makes loads of suspension parts for Alfa.

Pretty sure even OEM's alloys are made in China - not really a bad thing as long quality control is done.
Well, so it is better to spare the cash and simply go with WSP set? They are around 300EUR here.What do you think?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is what ebay dealer wrote to me:
Our alloy wheels in this auction are manufactured in the same OE plant which makes the Originals. They are replacemente parts but same mold, same aluminium, same weight, same design, same offset, same details.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Remove your wheels and look on the inside face of the "spokes", it will have more information than you ever wanted about your wheels.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Improper terminology adds confusion; if WSP make original equipment (i.e. OE) wheels, then WSP are an OEM (i.e. original equipment manufacturer) who almost certainly make non-OE wheels as well.

I think the term OEM, insofar as the consumer is concerned, has no real value, as the term does not indicate or imply anything at all about fitment or quality of wheels other than OE wheels.

Whether the copy-cat, non-OE wheel indicated in the eBay ad is made to precisely the same construction and performance spec as the OE wheel, who knows...could be, or could be not, alhough it does not make any sense to me that Alfa would allow one of their OEMs to produce knockoffs.

Certainly non-OE wheels are not covered under Alfa warranty, either.

·
Registered
845 Posts
OEM wheels I have found are much stronger than aftermarket ones. Granted Forged vs gravity poured or pressure cast are non contest but it seems I have bent more aftermarket ones than OEMs.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 10 spoke 18” turbine wheels are made in Thailand to, so seems like most standard Alfa wheels are made there. Google was not helpfull where that factory is located...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I bought 18 aftermarket "OEM" wheels from this site: Aftermarket Wheels

I've had them for about 6 months now with no issue. Comes with 1 year finish warranty, lifetime structure warranty. They look great and I'm super happy with them.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
This is my "lesson of the day." I did not know that. Is there a significant difference between the two?
Well they look significantly different, but beside that, the alloys are different and the Tecnicos are forged, resulting in the Tecnicos being lighter.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I was asking more about the quality and build. I should have clarified that I was not aware that they were built in two different countries. German products are normally seen as higher quality. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a 2020 QV with the exact spec as my current car with the only difference being the Technicos and 5 holes. It's just another 1st world problem to add to my long list. Cheers.

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,423 Posts
I find it odd that they are supposedly made in the same factory but are then cut to different offsets than oem.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I find it odd that they are supposedly made in the same factory but are then cut to different offsets than oem.
Offset:ET33 + ET34

No sure what you meen, but the ones I posted are same as OEM 8x19 / 9x19

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I believe staggered 8x19, 9x19 offsets for 2.0L 5-holes are 33 and 44.5 respectively, so it does beg the question that those so-called OEM wheels are the same as the OE wheels.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts