Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I'm a relatively new owner, I've only had my Giulia for about three months and I love it (for the most part). There were absolutely no issues the first month or so, but ever since mid November (when the temperatures first started to drop), I started to hear all sorts of noises while inside the car. These are definitely weather-dependent as they worsen when it gets very cold outside (it has been in the low teens or even single digits here and the noises have become almost unbearable) and they improve when it warms up (they are basically gone when it gets above 50 degrees). The first one that showed up was the infamous sunroof(s)/headliner "cracks" and "pops" when going over a bump. This is seemingly pretty common and I'm not sure if anyone has ever actually found a fix. Then there was a rattle coming from the headliner, which I actually fixed by stuffing two pieces of cardboard in between the opening of the headliner and the sunroof; sadly, this did not fix the "cracks" from the sunroof.

These have been definitely annoying but nothing to be seriously concerned about. But recently, when it got particularly cold outside, I started to hear yet another noise that is definitely more concerning. It's hard to describe, but it sounds like pulsating vibrations/buzzing coming from the back of the car (although once I could've sworn it was coming from under the car). They start and stop out of nowhere and they have been going away completely once the car has warmed up a bit. There seems somewhat of a correlation with accelerating, although they continue for a few seconds even after I let go of the gas. Like I said, the sound is hard to describe. It sort of sounds like when you have a song with very deep bass and the subwoofer kinda vibrates (although there's no music playing, that was one of the first things I tried). I'm a bit concerned because it is almost reminiscent of a grinding sound, but so far it's only happened under a fairly specific set of circumstances, so I don't know.

Are your Giulias this noisy in the winter? I mean, this is by far the noisiest car I've driven in cold weather.

·
Registered
63 Posts
2018 Ti Sport AWD with Perf Package and HK system in upstate NY here.

I completely agree...its a creaky car when things stiffen and shrink up in the cold.

Both driver and passenger door cards get a little rattle in them (with medium loudness on the HK system (isolated by holding the card against the door shell). I'm going to pull all 4 door cards and put some sound dampening material in there and see what else I can do to snug things up.

My driver's side A pillar cover seemed to be making noise until I discovered it was the oh $h!+ handle directly above my head. A little tightening and all better.

The sunroof does have the crackles when it's wet cold out....no solution here. It's just ice between the gaskets.

·
Registered
601 Posts
There’s a winter sound that I’m constantly plagued with. It’s the sound of my smile stretching over my friggin ears! I look for any excuse to drive her and I never fail to come home with the biggest shit eating grin. I’m sure my wife thinks I’m seeing a side piece... and in a way, I guess I am.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,152 Posts
More reasons why a well optioned car should be available without a sunroof and without HK audio.

There is also the squeaky steering column problem, which gets worse with cold weather. I don't think I will try to order the steering column-less Giulia.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had a loaner with the sunroof option, and the first time hearing that loud POP scared the crap out of me! So glad mine doesn't have the sunroof after reading about how problematic they can be.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I think that vibrating noise from the rear may be similar to what I'm facing. When you hear that noise try opening the gas cap and see if the tank sucks in a ton of air. My thought is that the venting function of the gas cap might be freezing up in cold weather--for me it starts happening 20F and under.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts