Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for recommendations for all season tires for a Quad....

This is one option....Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

vs..

Michelin PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED)....

On Tire Rack the reviews seem a little vague and mixed.....anyone make the change yet to an All Season tire on a Quad and if so...your impressions.....D

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you remember if they were W or Y rated...?

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
I have the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my 1967 Giulia Super.

The cars and tire sizes are quite different, but the tires offer great road feel and low noise. They have more dry grip than I can use in that car. It's primarily a 3-season driver but I get caught out in snow once in a while and they do OK, considering the only traction control and ABS are my right foot.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Another user targeted the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, which I have in mind for my first replacement set...

Firestone FIREHAWK INDY 500
Ultra High Performance Summer

Front: 245/35R19

Rear: 285/30R19
I agree with the thread starter, that the pleasure of this vehicle far outweigh any quirks. After throwing initial codes in the first week of operation, I have that flawless behavior with the exception of things that her truly problems of luxury.

Just put a set of firestone firehawk 500 summer tires on it, and pulled 1.01 G's. got to go with the Corvette or a Porsche to get that kind of performance. Big grins!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Are you sure you want all seasons? I swear by my new Pirelli Sotto Zeros. M+S rated full winters on the Miata. Quiet and very grippy. Made it up my driveway every time after work with snow during the day. Up to a few inches of snow, and a compound sloped road, apron and driveway.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you sure you want all seasons? I swear by my new Pirelli Sotto Zeros. M+S rated full winters on the Miata. Quiet and very grippy. Made it up my driveway every time after work with snow during the day. Up to a few inches of snow, and a compound sloped road, apron and driveway.
I'm in NY and this is my daily driver....work is close to the office (8 minutes without traffic...10 with) but I need something primarily for when it's cold vs snow...if there's accumulation, I can borrow wifey's Ghibli which is AWD....Most high performance tires are inadequate at low temp ranges....and I can't seem to get a consensus about the Continental vs. the Michelin based on Tire Rack reviews...Don't want something extremely loud and need a firm sidewall to ward off NY potholes.....the car won't be seeing the track....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Another user targeted the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, which I have in mind for my first replacement set...

Firestone FIREHAWK INDY 500
Ultra High Performance Summer

Front: 245/35R19

Rear: 285/30R19
I agree with the thread starter, that the pleasure of this vehicle far outweigh any quirks. After throwing initial codes in the first week of operation, I have that flawless behavior with the exception of things that her truly problems of luxury.

Just put a set of firestone firehawk 500 summer tires on it, and pulled 1.01 G's. got to go with the Corvette or a Porsche to get that kind of performance. Big grins!
Reading the reports on this it looks to be a very good tire indeed. In fact exceptional! It comes in exact factory sizes and load/speed ratings, has a decent TW and appears to have a stiffer sidewall. I think it could well be a good tyre for lapping the track with too! It's much cheaper than the factory tyre too...

Reactions: larrysing

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm definitely getting dedicated winters.....once they come out for the QV. I've been checking TireRack, but it' s a good bet I may have to wait until September before choices are available.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm definitely getting dedicated winters.....once they come out for the QV. I've been checking TireRack, but it' s a good bet I may have to wait until September before choices are available.
I hear you and I've thought of that but I don't want to be changing wheels during the seasons....anyone else have feedback on Continental vs Michelin....??

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Looks good. I have always been patient enough to get my summers up to temp for cruising in winter. But that's when roads are clear and I am not on a schedule. There is always the risk of sudden stops and so forth, where the summer compounds might skate. So with such a good all season listed above, it looks like a good solution.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Are you referring to the "Firestone"....??

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a set of the Continentals on one of my cars. They are terrific! The only thing I can say is that the sidewalls of continentals in general i've found to be a little on the squishy side. Other than that, the winter performance was very good for NY area winters...

·
Registered
554 Posts
I hear you and I've thought of that but I don't want to be changing wheels during the seasons....anyone else have feedback on Continental vs Michelin....??
Which ones did you end up with? After driving in the PNW rain for a few days (and breaking the rear tires loose a couple of times in Dynamic mode with 1/2 throttle), I ordered a set of the Continentals yesterday.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,450 Posts
I'm in NY and this is my daily driver....work is close to the office (8 minutes without traffic...10 with) but I need something primarily for when it's cold vs snow...if there's accumulation, I can borrow wifey's Ghibli which is AWD....Most high performance tires are inadequate at low temp ranges....and I can't seem to get a consensus about the Continental vs. the Michelin based on Tire Rack reviews...Don't want something extremely loud and need a firm sidewall to ward off NY potholes.....the car won't be seeing the track....
IMO all-season = no season. I'll be going for winter tires for December-April, as my Q4 is my one-and-only car. Understand your reasoning, though.

Now gotta figure out what kind and where to get them. I think I have a line on 18" OEM wheels.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports...Haven't been through winter yet....a few times in the rain....found them to be fine....on dry pavement I've been able to kick out the rear from a dead start...nothing uncontrollable....certainly not like the Corsas that came with the car but changing tires at 8 K miles is unacceptable for me and my needs....Had Continentals on the S 5 I had....didn't care for them...swapped them out for the Pilots when I needed to change.....

Reactions: BGorilla

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Have had Continental Procontact all season run flats close to ten years, and have not felt the need to get stickier tires for summer, didn't have issues going to Mammoth (lockems neighborhood) in winter, and have not had issues in the Boston area last three years - other than my own driveway. Between salting and plowing and city/work snow day shutdowns, and weather reversals, there just isn't much snow on the road for many days.
Dedicated snow tires aren't making sense to me - and I was anticipating/planning on them when moving, and was out here for the historic 8 feet.

I am an enthusiastic driver when traffic etc permits, and look forward to playing on fresh snow.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,450 Posts
I find there are about 10-20 days per winter where dedicated snow tires are indispensable, as much or more for their stopping improvement as their go traction. I'm also hoping that running snow will allow me to return the car at the end of its lease with sufficient tread remaining on the OEM Pirellis.

I haven't looked but am curious whether there are any run-flat snows. If not, I suppose I should carry one of those fix-it cans.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts