Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for the more advanced than myself:

I recently purchased a used QV from a dealer. New stock tires were put on but I dont know who actually did the work. when I drove it home I noticed a tiny bit of vibration in the steering wheel at freeway speeds (not breaking).

So I took it in to have the tires' balance checked. All 4 tires were off by 1oz. I believe one tire was off by as much as 2.5oz!

Am I being paranoid to want to get the alignment checked now too? More importantly, are all alignments created equal? I got a quote from a dealer for $350 but the shop that did my tire balance (didnt scratch the rims) will only change me $85.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Such imbalance is in perfectly normal range for unballanced tires:), question really is why whomever mounted new tires didnt also balance them wtf.....what you experienced is primary vibration, occurs somewhere around 60-70mph and I assume the balancing completelly cured it and you are now enjoying smooth ride...

I dont see a reason for you to do alignment check unless car is handling funny or you just want to do it for your peace of mind since you bought slightly used car...

·
Registered
537 Posts
I’d take that bill to the dealer you bought the car from, they should cut you a cheque for the balancing since it should have been done when the tires were changed.
As for the alignment, probably not needed but compared to the cost of new tires it’s well worth it. Pretty much any decent shop will be able to do an accurate alignment.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,788 Posts
i thought only Alfa dealers could do the alignment properly to mesh in with the brakes/ESC etc

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies! I figured I wouldn't "need" the alignment done but the considering all tires were unbalanced my spidey-sense of shoddy work started tingling. And peace of mind seems reasonable at $85.

Needless to say I took her out for a spirited drive through the canyon today and of course she felt just fine!

I think I'll take her to the office next week, the tire shop is 3 blocks away so I'll probably just pay. As some of you have mentioned it would be comforting to ensure everything is good on a slightly used car.

AFATECH- I like the idea, but the dealer is 500 miles away and I don't know for sure they were the ones who changed the tires.

Again, much appreciated everyone.

·
Registered
537 Posts
i thought only Alfa dealers could do the alignment properly to mesh in with the brakes/ESC etc
Alignment is independent from brakes and drive train. It's just suspension geometry.
When we do an alignment our machine tells us to rest the adaptive cruise and electric steering, but we only do it if the car was misaligned badly for a long time as the systems will actually need to be reset, if it’s just maintenance it’s not really needed.

Reactions: 19737

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Tire install uses a tire lube so the tires don't get damaged while mounting on the rims. It takes about 100 miles for the lube to dry. Until then the tires can slip on the rims causing the balance be suddenly wrong. All it takes is for some to try hot-rodding the car, after all it isn't his car. Stab the gas then slam the brakes, and spin the tires (on the rims).

$80 to 120 is a fair price for an alignment. $350 is rape pricing. Get the alignment done.

The front only has a toe setting, no camber, no caster. The rear has toe and camber.

Reactions: 19737

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,788 Posts
When we do an alignment our machine tells us to rest the adaptive cruise and electric steering, but we only do it if the car was misaligned badly for a long time as the systems will actually need to be reset, if it’s just maintenance it’s not really needed.
right, thanks for clearing that up, im just repeating what i have been told by the service centre themselves, and took them on their word,

car was pulling to the kerbside initially and enquired about getting the alignment checked, and thats when i was told it had to come to Alfa, i found tyre pressures had been set very badly at a tyre place,
have set pressures and havent had a problem since, now steers perfectly straight, and even wear, all good ...mine was just an uneven pressure problem

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I'm sorry to question you, but is this true? There's not camber settings up front?
I believe that Madness sells a kit to make the front camber adjustable by having an adjustable length upper arm. I am not sure of the current part availability or reliability.

IIRC, several forum members have added front camber by putting shims under the lower arm support. This is unlikely to be an Alfa approved procedure, so use at your own risk. I think this also throws off the front toe, so that has to be fixed afterwards.

Alfa specs a very tight, very near 0 toe angle. This is a piece of the great handling, but toe out makes the handling unstable so it needs to be done accurately and competently. 0.1 degrees wrong is noticeable in a Giulia, not so much other cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts