Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, just joined today. Yes, I am an alfa tech, i will be checking in from time to time, likely not daily but a few times a week likely. Also, my work computer is on caps, BUT SOMETIMES SHOW NO CAPS, IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT, BUT IF MY REPLIES LOOK FUNNY, ITS NOT MY FAULT, LOL. IF I'M SHOWING CAPS I'M NOT YELLING, JUST LAZY.

·
Registered
8 Posts
AlfaTech,

You should introduce yourself to the stelvio forum also. Lots of people there would love to hear your advice.

http://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/

Hello all, just joined today. Yes, I am an alfa tech, i will be checking in from time to time, likely not daily but a few times a week likely. Also, my work computer is on caps, BUT SOMETIMES SHOW NO CAPS, IM NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT, BUT IF MY REPLIES LOOK FUNNY, ITS NOT MY FAULT, LOL. IF I'M SHOWING CAPS I'M NOT YELLING, JUST LAZY.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts

LOL Welcome and hope you like answering a lot of peoples questions :) Can you say which area you are from?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Great to have an actual official tech among us. Hope you don't mind being a resource as I'm sure you'll be asked MANY questions on many different topics, such as: Do you have an Alfa yourself? How long have you been an Alfa tech? Are you a factory tech or a dealer tech? Just to start off with a few. :)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome, i'm an fca dealer tech in canada. I'll try my best to answer questions, the cars are still fairly new to our market though and we are not a high-volume alfa deaaler, so bear with me.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
It's great to hear from an actual tech. You can verify first hand what a quality car this is.
When I had mine in for some routine updates last summer, I had a chance to talk to a veteran tech guy working at my dealership. I arrived before the service department opened, and he was hanging around in the parking lot, having a smoke. He's an Italian who works on Ferraris and Maseratis. I was still feeling a bit insecure about the car, given Afla's history. But this guy could not have been higher on the car and how well it was built. He absolutely raved about it.

Don't worry, I know that he works for the dealership, so he's not going to say negative stuff. So save your "you naïve fool" replies.
This was just an experienced car guy giving me his personal opinion.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,758 Posts
Are you at liberty to tell us which province?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, Ontario.

So far the cars have been very good, especially considering they’re a totally new car, there have been a few recalls, mostly silly stuff, glovebox door, engine bay weatherstrip, and some software stuff, but overall they’re holding up well. We have a bunch that we use as demos and I’ve really only ever had a problem with one of them, which turned out to be a battery issue. They are finicky about battery state of charge, and the batteries have been freezing around here, which they don’t recover from very well.

One other thing that our other Alfa tech discovered about the cars is a kinda “chirping” noise at low speeds, with a rotational pattern to it, upon closer inspection he found that the tags on the axles are wrapped around the shafts and stuck together, instead of wrapping over and over, so the tag actually contacts the strut wishbone and causes a noise. We cut them down with scissors, noise is gone.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I got low speed noise too. It happens or got noticed only when touch the gas the lightest way. Not at total idle. I will try record it or take to the dealer when I get a chance. Or raise the car somehow (due to run-flat there is no jack) and get down there with a flashlight and scissors :--) Show me a pic where need some scissor work if you can. Thanks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome fellow-Canadian Alfatech,
Since day one, my car has a squeaky steering wheel.
It sounds like a rubbing sound inside the cabin.
Clockspring was replaced, but noise is still présent.
Any feedback?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,904 Posts
Yes, Ontario.

So far the cars have been very good, especially considering they’re a totally new car, there have been a few recalls, mostly silly stuff, glovebox door, engine bay weatherstrip, and some software stuff, but overall they’re holding up well. We have a bunch that we use as demos and I’ve really only ever had a problem with one of them, which turned out to be a battery issue. They are finicky about battery state of charge, and the batteries have been freezing around here, which they don’t recover from very well.

One other thing that our other Alfa tech discovered about the cars is a kinda “chirping” noise at low speeds, with a rotational pattern to it, upon closer inspection he found that the tags on the axles are wrapped around the shafts and stuck together, instead of wrapping over and over, so the tag actually contacts the strut wishbone and causes a noise. We cut them down with scissors, noise is gone.
If the battery freezes and ruptures (I've had this happen twice in other vehicles), where does the acid go? Is there a proper drain?

Do you know if the car will work with a lighter weight battery such as an Optima? These have a lower AH rating but a higher cranking amps rating and a lower self discharge rate.

What tags on the axles got wrapped around which shaft? Is that front or rear (Q4)?

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alfatech:

My QV sits a little high. Can the car be lowered with the stock springs?

Thanks,

Lew
Not unless you want to cut coils.

I got low speed noise too. It happens or got noticed only when touch the gas the lightest way. Not at total idle. I will try record it or take to the dealer when I get a chance. Or raise the car somehow (due to run-flat there is no jack) and get down there with a flashlight and scissors :--) Show me a pic where need some scissor work if you can. Thanks.
All of our lot cars have likely been cut, but I’ll try if I see one without. I usually just turn to full lock and cut them off, the tag would be basically right inside the barrel of the wheel as far as placement goes, if that makes any sense. It’s easy to spot, look at the strut wishbone where it connects to the lower arm, right in there is the tag. Grab a pic of you do it.

Any feedback?
Clockspring is the only likely cause, I’ve had a few that are a bit noisy but most new cars are anymore, and nobody has complained yet.

If the battery freezes and ruptures (I've had this happen twice in other vehicles), where does the acid go? Is there a proper drain?

Do you know if the car will work with a lighter weight battery such as an Optima? These have a lower AH rating but a higher cranking amps rating and a lower self discharge rate.

What tags on the axles got wrapped around which shaft? Is that front or rear (Q4)?
They’re a gel battery (according to FCA) so they won’t leak in the car, but they don’t rupture, it just seems they don’t like to charge fully afterwards. An optima will work although they aren’t nearly as reliable as they once were, have had plenty of issues with them.

The tags are on the outer ends of the axle shafts, they are the manuf. tags, with the part number, near the outside cv boots, the fronts are the noisiest, but the rears can make contact as well....I believe with the lower control arm, not sure, we started cutting them last year so I just do them all instead of risking a customer concern for the noise.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Any feedback?
Me too... supposedly they took it apart and lubed it... which succeeded in making it worse. :mad:

·
Premium Member
840 Posts
Me too... supposedly they took it apart and lubed it... which succeeded in making it worse. :mad:
I had the same issue and they adjusted something not (lubed) which aligns with Alfatec's earlier reply. Take it back in :)

Reactions: Alfa 1

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welcome to our group of Alfistis. Thanks for jumping right in and helping us out. >:)

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Great

Yes, Ontario.

Great stuff! I find it very aggravating every time you see an Alfa Romeo post on line or on Facebook a whole string of trolls jump on and talk about all the alleged reliability problems. After the MotorTrend Car of the Year Award, there was lots of it.

Reactions: Mailman44

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Happy to help guys, any more questions don't hesitate to ask, i'll do my best.

The cars have been great overall, usually just minor issues, mostly programming/software.

Reactions: ChiGuy
1 - 20 of 113 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.