Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
2018 Ti Q4 Lusso built August 2017. Original oil pump and vapor canister. Nothing but miles of smiles.

Reactions: hawk02

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,925 Posts
No, they drive vehicles to do random quality checks but other than that they just drive them off the assembly line and deliver them to dealers.... if the delivery driver can get it on and off the truck and into your lot, thats all they care about
In thier defense, when you consider the number of cars built, the amount we see actually broken of defective when new is very very low.
I am old enough to remember when Ford hot tested every engine before shipping it to the assembly plant. I also remember how they tested metal fuel tanks for leaks.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I remember when I worked for the Oldsmobile Dealer in the early 90's there was a certain engine (don't remember) that could have been built with the oil control rings missing. The engines were assembled by automation and the machine that put the rings on the pistons had a malfunctioning switch that would alert (and shutdown) when the hopper was near, or empty (so we were told). It was estimated that several hundred engines were built without the OC rings. Yes, they smoked when the oil got up to full temp. My machine shop buddy recently showed me a Jasper rebuilt engine that came through with no rings on any of the pistons.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Just got back from my Alfa 1 yr service visit which amounted to a two and a half hour oil change and tire rotation. They needed a dohickey to hold the underside of the floor mounted velco pad for the driver floor mat. I was told it was listed as backordered and 60 days out. Good times.

Still love the car and the brand so far. The red QV on the show floor made me sad about my level of poverty.

Reactions: JeFizz

·
Registered
28 Posts
This going to get a little ranty as I need to get this off my chest but the point is to highlight a continual problem alfa has with defective parts and their lack of care to fix it.

I'm currently undergoing a nightmare situation at an alfa dealer but I want to take a second to talk about Alfa's unacceptable parts situation and their constant lack of taking responsibility for their defective and lemon quality parts they install in their cars.

If I've learned anything talking to Techs and Service managers, it's that alfa has been constantly installing broken oil pumps and vapor canisters in their cars since their relaunch and have no intention of fixing it anytime soon. I've been informed by a service manager that they constantly rotate alfas out of service for replacing vapor canisters and oil pumps. So much so that the parts are back ordered for months. I also know this from first hand experience as my Giulia has need a new vapor canister every single year since I've gotten it and now requires an oil pump at 38,000 miles. Not only is this ridiculous and these are supposed to last the life of the car, but the service manager and parts staff has informed me that they constantly get shipments of broken oil pumps and vapor canisters.

So not only is alfa selling cars with lemon parts but their solution to the problem is sending dealerships more broken and defective parts to replace these. I don't understand why a brand that is trying to hard to fix it's reliability branding is so insistent on doing nothing to fix the problems with them.

It seems alfa has since started installing new types of oil pumps on later model years (2019+ I believe) but as for if you have a 2017 or 2018, well just deal with the $4,000 pump when it comes along and wait 2 months for it to come in. And because of their horrible dealership experience you don't even get a loaner or a call informing you on the wait either.

I didn't pay for a luxury car to sit in the shop for months out of the year and terrible customer service and staff that truly couldn't care less about you or if they leave you stranded without your car for months on end.

I understand these type of cars are made with performance and luxury over reliability but when you have so big of an issue with known parts that you are backlogged months in advance, distribute defective parts they will break in another year or even are broken on arrival, and quietly update parts will leaving older model years to just deal with the bill, that is a different story. As alfa stands, they have zero chance of improving their reputation and are even actively harming it.
Sorry to hear what you are going through man it took them 6 months to approve and fix my car i said after that i traded it in and never looked back...so in my personal opinion alfa just sucks all around....i jumped through alot of hoops to get my car fixed its just a bad experience with this company and there techs have no knowledge of the product there working on

·
Registered
31 Posts
This going to get a little ranty as I need to get this off my chest but the point is to highlight a continual problem alfa has with defective parts and their lack of care to fix it.

I'm currently undergoing a nightmare situation at an alfa dealer but I want to take a second to talk about Alfa's unacceptable parts situation and their constant lack of taking responsibility for their defective and lemon quality parts they install in their cars.

If I've learned anything talking to Techs and Service managers, it's that alfa has been constantly installing broken oil pumps and vapor canisters in their cars since their relaunch and have no intention of fixing it anytime soon. I've been informed by a service manager that they constantly rotate alfas out of service for replacing vapor canisters and oil pumps. So much so that the parts are back ordered for months. I also know this from first hand experience as my Giulia has need a new vapor canister every single year since I've gotten it and now requires an oil pump at 38,000 miles. Not only is this ridiculous and these are supposed to last the life of the car, but the service manager and parts staff has informed me that they constantly get shipments of broken oil pumps and vapor canisters.

So not only is alfa selling cars with lemon parts but their solution to the problem is sending dealerships more broken and defective parts to replace these. I don't understand why a brand that is trying to hard to fix it's reliability branding is so insistent on doing nothing to fix the problems with them.

It seems alfa has since started installing new types of oil pumps on later model years (2019+ I believe) but as for if you have a 2017 or 2018, well just deal with the $4,000 pump when it comes along and wait 2 months for it to come in. And because of their horrible dealership experience you don't even get a loaner or a call informing you on the wait either.

I didn't pay for a luxury car to sit in the shop for months out of the year and terrible customer service and staff that truly couldn't care less about you or if they leave you stranded without your car for months on end.

I understand these type of cars are made with performance and luxury over reliability but when you have so big of an issue with known parts that you are backlogged months in advance, distribute defective parts they will break in another year or even are broken on arrival, and quietly update parts will leaving older model years to just deal with the bill, that is a different story. As alfa stands, they have zero chance of improving their reputation and are even actively harming it.
What alerted you to the fact there was a problem with the oil pump? What symptoms? I’m at 36k now with mine. It’s been trouble free so far. Just wondering what to look out for.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
What alerted you to the fact there was a problem with the oil pump? What symptoms? I’m at 36k now with mine. It’s been trouble free so far. Just wondering what to look out for.

One issue was internal failure which causes lack of pressure and the car simply won't run..you cant predict this ..
The other is a rattle noise from a failed scissor gear..neither of these is common

Not really sure what his endgame is but nothing is widespread as he suggests.

I suspect he ran across some dealer employees with diarrhea of the mouth who had no real idea what they were talking about

41 - 47 of 47 Posts