Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
OK so Alfissimo has access to a larger parts inventory and that’s great so what hell is going on with the rest of the other BS? Is Alfissimo getting it from another planet ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Vendor
4,212 Posts
OK so Alfissimo has access to a larger parts inventory and that’s great so what hell is going on with the rest of the other BS? Is Alfissimo getting it from another planet ? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yes, I am getting them from another planet.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
749 Posts
Jesus that's unacceptable. Did you ever consider getting it purchased back as a lemon?

My 2021 has, knock on wood, not had any mechanical issues at 15k miles so far (and I drive it hard). But for any other brand 15k miles is nothing. Even with a BMW it's a safe bet that they'll be trouble-free for the first 40k+ miles.

One vibrating speaker got replaced. I am however noticing more cabin rattles over rougher pavement than before. Italian cars gon Italian.
I wouldn't bet on a BMW being trouble free for 40k miles. Check out the BMW forums.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I wouldn't bet on a BMW being trouble free for 40k miles. Check out the BMW forums.
Between my family and I we've had four different Bimmers as first owners. They were totally fine until 50k+ miles.

Obviously that doesn't speak for for everybody, but there are far fewer Alfa owners who can say in confidence they've only had to do routine maintenance up to that mileage.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jesus that's unacceptable. Did you ever consider getting it purchased back as a lemon?

My 2021 has, knock on wood, not had any mechanical issues at 15k miles so far (and I drive it hard). But for any other brand 15k miles is nothing. Even with a BMW it's a safe bet that they'll be trouble-free for the first 40k+ miles.

One vibrating speaker got replaced. I am however noticing more cabin rattles over rougher pavement than before. Italian cars gon Italian.
Yes, I thought about lemon law, but I wouldn’t able to lease another car as nice as the Giulia for my monthly payments (a Subaru crosstrek costs more than my Giulia)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yes, I thought about lemon law, but I wouldn’t able to lease another car as nice as the Giulia for my monthly payments (a Subaru crosstrek costs more than my Giulia)
Yeah my lease terms were very attractive. Others in the segment didn't even come close. Such an overlooked car! Such a high degree of engineering and unique style, to me it's a bargain.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Between my family and I we've had four different Bimmers as first owners. They were totally fine until 50k+ miles.
There is a theory (with little more than anecdotal evidence...) that says BMWs are built for a 3yr/36k mile lease. The original owner is happy, warranty costs are minimal, then it gets sold to someone else...then the problems and costs start to crop up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a theory (with little more than anecdotal evidence...) that says BMWs are built for a 3yr/36k mile lease. The original owner is happy, warranty costs are minimal, then it gets sold to someone else...then the problems and costs start to crop up.
BMW build for warranty period especially for leases and fleet i.e. 20k service intervals that keeps costs down for 3 years. They then move them on into the general public whereby all the plastic pipes / parts in the engine start to fail and charge a ton of money to repair. I had a 330 ten years ago and everything went wrong at 80k, its probably worse now on the newer ones.

·
Registered
191 Posts
BMW build for warranty period especially for leases and fleet i.e. 20k service intervals that keeps costs down for 3 years. They then move them on into the general public whereby all the plastic pipes / parts in the engine start to fail and charge a ton of money to repair. I had a 330 ten years ago and everything went wrong at 80k, its probably worse now on the newer ones.
I agree on what you are saying from experience on BMW but they are so good on marketing their reputation as the Ultimate Driving Machine it’s like they put a blind fold on the majority of their buyers where AR has this curse on reliability still alive today.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you think parts supplies are an Alfa only problem.... I've got friends in service departments at other brand dealers that have had cars down since last October/November. You bought a first year car with first year problems. My five year old Italian car needs an oil pump. Well, your five year old BMW would need a turbo. Your five year old Maserati would need an engine. Or, as the last three Mazdas my dealership bought at auction, all had rod-knocks and needed engines, with less miles than your Alfa. Problems happen, and if you buy a first year car, with a first year engine, out of warranty, and expect them to give you a free rental car in the middle of a supply chain break-down, it may be a bit optimistic.
Bloody hell. So fed up to come to the forum sometimes and have to read all these rants. Why people always blame the manufactures and the car itself? Sometime one single dealership can break that special love you have for your dream car. I dealt with a very bad dealership and got the Giulia I wanted and now use a different dealership for service and everything else. I love my Giulia Veloce, especially the reliability and the smile she put on my face every time I drive her.
All cars have problem and to accuse Alfa Romeo to install lemon parts in their cars it's really rubbish. Yes it could be better but so can be many other cars that cost twice as much out there.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Imagine that!

I send parts to dealers all the time as I have access to larger supply than the dealers. I already sent out many rear rotors for the 2.9L and have more coming in, same with 4C tensioner etc... All those back order items. If you guys need anything let me know?
Ciao
We're not waiting for maintenance items like brakes and belt tensioners ,the parts we need I doubt very much you could source. But if you happen to have a factory new 3.6 for a 2022 WK,. shoot me a PM and we can talk .

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
624 Posts
That's absolutely true. They are fine during the warranty period, and after that something will go wrong. It's not a matter of if, but when. BMW is in the business of selling new cars, so they could care less what breaks after 4 years.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
That's absolutely true. They are fine during the warranty period, and after that something will go wrong. It's not a matter of if, but when. BMW is in the business of selling new cars, so they could care less what breaks after 4 years.
’When, not if’ is true for all cars. I had 4 BMWs all kept beyond end of warranty. No significant issues with any of them.

Reactions: kevinpg

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,925 Posts
We're not waiting for maintenance items like brakes and belt tensioners ,the parts we need I doubt very much you could source. But if you happen to have a factory new 3.6 for a 2022 WK,. shoot me a PM and we can talk .

View attachment 128570
Tragically young. Cause?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Tragically young. Cause?
Burning coolant and smoking quite spectacularly ...89 miles on the odometer.
The root cause is unknown to us but were speculating a cracked head or block...possibly even a defective head gasket
we are not taking it apart as its going straight to engineering for inspection so I suspect we will never know.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,925 Posts
Burning coolant and smoking quite spectacularly ...89 miles on the odometer.
The root cause is unknown to us but were speculating a cracked head or block...possibly even a defective head gasket
we are not taking it apart as its going straight to engineering for inspection so I suspect we will never know.
I'm guessing they don't hot test engines anymore.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Been lucky so far - no problems on my 2018 Veloce (23k miles). Did come with a 5 year manufacturer warranty.

Having said that, it's my 11th Alfa and only once did one fail to get me where I was going - a twin spark 155 and the garage had overtightened the smaller threaded second spark plug.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I'm guessing they don't hot test engines anymore.
No, they drive vehicles to do random quality checks but other than that they just drive them off the assembly line and deliver them to dealers.... if the delivery driver can get it on and off the truck and into your lot, thats all they care about
In thier defense, when you consider the number of cars built, the amount we see actually broken of defective when new is very very low.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts