Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Giulia TI
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This going to get a little ranty as I need to get this off my chest but the point is to highlight a continual problem alfa has with defective parts and their lack of care to fix it.

I'm currently undergoing a nightmare situation at an alfa dealer but I want to take a second to talk about Alfa's unacceptable parts situation and their constant lack of taking responsibility for their defective and lemon quality parts they install in their cars.

If I've learned anything talking to Techs and Service managers, it's that alfa has been constantly installing broken oil pumps and vapor canisters in their cars since their relaunch and have no intention of fixing it anytime soon. I've been informed by a service manager that they constantly rotate alfas out of service for replacing vapor canisters and oil pumps. So much so that the parts are back ordered for months. I also know this from first hand experience as my Giulia has need a new vapor canister every single year since I've gotten it and now requires an oil pump at 38,000 miles. Not only is this ridiculous and these are supposed to last the life of the car, but the service manager and parts staff has informed me that they constantly get shipments of broken oil pumps and vapor canisters.

So not only is alfa selling cars with lemon parts but their solution to the problem is sending dealerships more broken and defective parts to replace these. I don't understand why a brand that is trying to hard to fix it's reliability branding is so insistent on doing nothing to fix the problems with them.

It seems alfa has since started installing new types of oil pumps on later model years (2019+ I believe) but as for if you have a 2017 or 2018, well just deal with the $4,000 pump when it comes along and wait 2 months for it to come in. And because of their horrible dealership experience you don't even get a loaner or a call informing you on the wait either.

I didn't pay for a luxury car to sit in the shop for months out of the year and terrible customer service and staff that truly couldn't care less about you or if they leave you stranded without your car for months on end.

I understand these type of cars are made with performance and luxury over reliability but when you have so big of an issue with known parts that you are backlogged months in advance, distribute defective parts they will break in another year or even are broken on arrival, and quietly update parts will leaving older model years to just deal with the bill, that is a different story. As alfa stands, they have zero chance of improving their reputation and are even actively harming it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you think parts supplies are an Alfa only problem.... I've got friends in service departments at other brand dealers that have had cars down since last October/November. You bought a first year car with first year problems. My five year old Italian car needs an oil pump. Well, your five year old BMW would need a turbo. Your five year old Maserati would need an engine. Or, as the last three Mazdas my dealership bought at auction, all had rod-knocks and needed engines, with less miles than your Alfa. Problems happen, and if you buy a first year car, with a first year engine, out of warranty, and expect them to give you a free rental car in the middle of a supply chain break-down, it may be a bit optimistic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This going to get a little ranty as I need to get this off my chest but the point is to highlight a continual problem alfa has with defective parts and their lack of care to fix it.

I'm currently undergoing a nightmare situation at an alfa dealer but I want to take a second to talk about Alfa's unacceptable parts situation and their constant lack of taking responsibility for their defective and lemon quality parts they install in their cars.

If I've learned anything talking to Techs and Service managers, it's that alfa has been constantly installing broken oil pumps and vapor canisters in their cars since their relaunch and have no intention of fixing it anytime soon. I've been informed by a service manager that they constantly rotate alfas out of service for replacing vapor canisters and oil pumps. So much so that the parts are back ordered for months. I also know this from first hand experience as my Giulia has need a new vapor canister every single year since I've gotten it and now requires an oil pump at 38,000 miles. Not only is this ridiculous and these are supposed to last the life of the car, but the service manager and parts staff has informed me that they constantly get shipments of broken oil pumps and vapor canisters.

So not only is alfa selling cars with lemon parts but their solution to the problem is sending dealerships more broken and defective parts to replace these. I don't understand why a brand that is trying to hard to fix it's reliability branding is so insistent on doing nothing to fix the problems with them.

It seems alfa has since started installing new types of oil pumps on later model years (2019+ I believe) but as for if you have a 2017 or 2018, well just deal with the $4,000 pump when it comes along and wait 2 months for it to come in. And because of their horrible dealership experience you don't even get a loaner or a call informing you on the wait either.

I didn't pay for a luxury car to sit in the shop for months out of the year and terrible customer service and staff that truly couldn't care less about you or if they leave you stranded without your car for months on end.

I understand these type of cars are made with performance and luxury over reliability but when you have so big of an issue with known parts that you are backlogged months in advance, distribute defective parts they will break in another year or even are broken on arrival, and quietly update parts will leaving older model years to just deal with the bill, that is a different story. As alfa stands, they have zero chance of improving their reputation and are even actively harming it.
Every owner of any car tends to have varying experiences of a brand, I researched the Giulia due to Alfa's perceived reliability issues and felt on balance that the car would be worth a chance. And most car owners of any brand, given the large investment will look for the good in the brand especially if it looks nice! I was one of those people, I loved the styling and how it drove but for me it became the biggest single source of stress in my life as I was never sure whether or not there would be a recovery truck needed and the worry was worse especially when I had the kids with me.

The design of the car is poor mine also had 40,000 miles when things went wrong, and my experience tells me Alfa's are difficult to fix, for example Alfa charging large sums of money to unblock an A/C drain because the transmission is in the way. Broken wires, I mean what design even allows that to be a thing. The ZF gearbox you cannot put into neutral unless without the car running unless you crawl under the car and put an M6 screw in the mechanism to release it, I could go on. I accept that no car is perfect and everything eventually breaks, however Alfa do break prematurely and certainly the customer service experience is also poor. I have owned a Mazda for 7 years and out of warranty, on the 2 occasions I had something fail, a parking sensor and rubber door seals they fixed free and both were new designs not the same inferior part that was installed when the car was made, something I cannot imagine Alfa doing that often.

Alfa is owned by Stellantis who as we know own Fiat, Chrysler, Peugeot, Vauxhall etc all of whom have questionable reliability and share parts bins and consequently share faults. They are more concerned with the quarter to quarter profits than the customer, it is all a short term view so the executives get bonuses and the shareholders get the dividend. I voted with my feet as I did with BMW when they charge you for the whole steering column assembly rather than the cheap faulty solenoid that failed.

I have now purchased a Toyota with a ten year warranty, yes it may be not as attractive styling wise, quite as fast and handle the same and some may say boring! However the chances of me being stranded and stressed about it the fragility of it are now massively reduced. I don't care what others think or it's to sensible, I am sick of chucking money at the Stealership to repair a car that should be built to last.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have deal with alfa for long time. i think first of all will need to separate sport car and daily use car, sport car is priority is performance isn't durable. also i think all car will have problems only soon or later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have deal with alfa for long time. i think first of all will need to separate sport car and daily use car, sport car is priority is performance isn't durable. also i think all car will have problems only soon or later.
Therefore Alfa need to state its a sports car and shouldn't be used daily! I will then take my 50K and buy something that can do both! Secondly well yes all cars will eventually have problems but some at 40,000 i.e. Alfa and others at 140,000!

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
If you think parts supplies are an Alfa only problem.... I've got friends in service departments at other brand dealers that have had cars down since last October/November. You bought a first year car with first year problems. My five year old Italian car needs an oil pump. Well, your five year old BMW would need a turbo. Your five year old Maserati would need an engine. Or, as the last three Mazdas my dealership bought at auction, all had rod-knocks and needed engines, with less miles than your Alfa. Problems happen, and if you buy a first year car, with a first year engine, out of warranty, and expect them to give you a free rental car in the middle of a supply chain break-down, it may be a bit optimistic.
Thank You!. Please write a note in your agenda to re-issue your above post every other week. Put it in the never ending threads about the subject. Some day, people will get it.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,903 Posts
My Giulia is my daily driver, and I rely on it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 2020 Giulia is my daily, and I bought it new. First year of ownership, it spent 5 months at different dealers for electrical issues. And yes, I've had the fuel canister replaced. Now at 2 years old, my fuel gauge is failing, not sure if its caused by the fuel pump. There's now also a rattling/grinding sound coming from the engine when accelerating, constant rattles, and one of my rear lights is starting to hang low. All at 17k miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2020 Giulia is my daily, and I bought it new. First year of ownership, it spent 5 months at different dealers for electrical issues. And yes, I've had the fuel canister replaced. Now at 2 years old, my fuel gauge is failing, not sure if its caused by the fuel pump. There's now also a rattling/grinding sound coming from the engine when accelerating, constant rattles, and one of my rear lights is starting to hang low. All at 17k miles.
The thing is they are not cheap in the first place, the total cost of ownership is ridiculous! Are you going to keep it or get rid and would you buy another?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
5,146 Posts
The thing is they are not cheap in the first place, the total cost of ownership is ridiculous! Are you going to keep it or get rid and would you buy another?
Mine has been really low, because I don't go to the dealer for anything other than Wty work. TCO is the same as my other vehicles. $50 oil changes.

Reactions: Drew and Engi_Nerd

·
Registered
71 Posts
As of now, I haven't spent any money since all repairs are still under warranty. First service was free. I do plan to keep the car after my lease because I got an amazing deal on it. Hopefully, all issues will be fixed while under warranty 😄

·
Vendor
4,190 Posts
Exactly. It's not Alfa. It's every brand of vehicle to everything else if you have recently tried to purchase anything.

I know a Porsche mechanic who still can't get parts to fix the 15-20 cars he has sitting on his lot. When manufacturing stopped for almost a year and product sits on ships in the ports, not able to be processed through, chip shortage, worker shortage, Italy and others still fighting covid = no parts!!! I do expect in a year or so things will be semi-normal again.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
We are constantly waiting on parts and almost everything is on back order....we have brand new cars sitting behinds the dealership waiting for parts for months with no help in sight.

Who would have thought that closing down the whole world for 18 month would cause supply chain issues....o_Oo_O

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Let’s see if Alfa Care will make a comment on this post on what is going on but I noticed lately are not saying much ….. just very curious.
I would assume that everyone in the planet is now aware of the global crisis in supply chains, including automotive spare parts so, I do not see why Alfa Care has to respond to any posts and repeat the same story over and over again. Perhaps, they are already assuming the same so not responding.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Toyota's cost of ownership is very low. My wife's Toyota Senna is low cost. You can try with either Hyundai or KIA, too. I assume that you already know what are the ownership costs of Mercedes Benz, BMW and Audi.

·
Vendor
4,190 Posts
We are constantly waiting on parts and almost everything is on back order....we have brand new cars sitting behinds the dealership waiting for parts for months with no help in sight.

Who would have thought that closing down the whole world for 18 month would cause supply chain issues....o_Oo_O
Imagine that!

I send parts to dealers all the time as I have access to larger supply than the dealers. I already sent out many rear rotors for the 2.9L and have more coming in, same with 4C tensioner etc... All those back order items. If you guys need anything let me know?
Ciao

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
738 Posts
Let’s see if Alfa Care will make a comment on this post on what is going on but I noticed lately are not saying much ….. just very curious.
They're victims of the same supply chain shortage-or they're on an extended vacation.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
615 Posts
Jesus that's unacceptable. Did you ever consider getting it purchased back as a lemon?

My 2021 has, knock on wood, not had any mechanical issues at 15k miles so far (and I drive it hard). But for any other brand 15k miles is nothing. Even with a BMW it's a safe bet that they'll be trouble-free for the first 40k+ miles.

One vibrating speaker got replaced. I am however noticing more cabin rattles over rougher pavement than before. Italian cars gon Italian.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts