Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the G.QV in for a service the other day to replace a faulty battery and while there they updated the software. I asked what the updates were for but they couldn't really explain other than saying they were for fixing various glitches and were applied to the infotainment, ECU1 and ECU2 or something like that (the service letter mentions a campaign 6148 operation A and H). I thought I'd try to see if I could notice anything on my drive home though and yes, yes I did.

The infotainment system seems to be faster now. A lot of the time switching menu and options was very slow. It's now more responsive and it hasn't lagged so much like before, at least so far. I'll continue to observe with further drives, however I think is real.

The other was the brakes! There's no initial harsh grabbing to them when lightly touching now, there's a nice soft linear start to the braking, they feel now like... hmmmm...? brakes! I have noticed they still grab a bit at the end when at low speed, but overall so much nicer to modulate initially.

That's all I've noticed so far, haven't had much of a chance to drive properly since picking up but will put some more kays on it soon and see if I notice anything else.

For anyone else who's had their G.QV software/firmware updated let me know if you've noticed these changes and or know of anything else that may have been included.

PS:

So to clarify why had to go in for a service, went to start the car one day, the battery was dead, got a jump and then straight off to the service centre in limp mode. All they could say after doing the diagnostics that it was the battery as it was barely charging and not anything else. So my Alfa hasn't been unreliable.... Just the battery :)

By the way, who makes the battery? Can it please be Germany so we can blame them and get some pro-Italian anti-German reliability banter going on hehehe.

PPS:

They also replaced the passenger side compartment handle because there was a recall on it supposedly :S Such an odd mundane recall, it was working fine, you pull it, it opens, you close it, it stays shut, anyway...

I spoke about the headlight washer not retracting issue that seems to be popular on this forum and the service manager had never heard of that, so I don't know how popular of an issue it really is.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm taking in my car for it's 1 year service. I'll be sure to note if any software updates are done.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any word on Apple CarPlay?
Nar, wasn't mentioned and didn't ask as it's a bit of a dead horse on this forum. My understanding is it just ain't gonna happen, at least for the MY17.

I'm taking in my car for it's 1 year service. I'll be sure to note if any software updates are done.
Sounds good, please do report back.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Has there ever been an issue that was beat to death more than the question of whether we will get Apple Car Play/Android Auto for our 2017s? The 2017's are not wired for it, and are not capable of running these programs. But the 2018's are.

I just got my February build, Ti Q4 back from its complimentary 10,000 mile service. They also did the glove box handle replacement, and engine odor, hood gasket installation updates. Last summer, I had the infotainment update along with the other long list of service bulletins performed. There were no other service bulletin updates for my car, which I viewed as a positive. The car has been running flawlessly!

Not looking forward to paying for the 20,000 mile service next winter. My service guy told me will cost over $500!

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Included

Hi ChiGuy
Is the complimentary 10K service something you negotiated with the dealership? Or did they just offer it to you?
Thanks
When I got my car in May 2017, the complimentary 10,000 mile service was included by Alfa Romeo with all new vehicles. I did not have to negotiate it. I'm pretty sure it is still included as part of all new Giulia sales and leases.
You probably have it and don't even realize it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just got back from the dealer for my first service. No updates as they said my car's software was good to go.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Has there ever been an issue that was beat to death more than the question of whether we will get Apple Car Play/Android Auto for our 2017s? The 2017's are not wired for it, and are not capable of running these programs. But the 2018's are.

I just got my February build, Ti Q4 back from its complimentary 10,000 mile service. They also did the glove box handle replacement, and engine odor, hood gasket installation updates. Last summer, I had the infotainment update along with the other long list of service bulletins performed. There were no other service bulletin updates for my car, which I viewed as a positive. The car has been running flawlessly!

Not looking forward to paying for the 20,000 mile service next winter. My service guy told me will cost over $500!
What. Over $500. Yikes!! What will the 30K be w/ the spark plugs!!!

Try to find a "foreign auto repair" shop. That's what I plan on doing for the 20 and 30K service. Price shop.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I read alot about carplay on this forum - let me tell you, its not that great. I have it on my BMW, used it exactly twice as the car's own head unit software is better. I guess the issue with the Giulia is that the car's infotainment system isn't as modern as it could be, so carplay is a improvement over that.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I read alot about carplay on this forum - let me tell you, its not that great. I have it on my BMW, used it exactly twice as the car's own head unit software is better. I guess the issue with the Giulia is that the car's infotainment system isn't as modern as it could be, so carplay is a improvement over that.
You guess right, and it’s what makes having CarPlay great.

Having CarPlay enables SMS replies and use of Maps navigation, which are my two favorite CarPlay features, though having access to Siri is also very nice.

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,799 Posts
Had the G.QV in for a service the other day to replace a faulty battery and while there they updated the software. I asked what the updates were for but they couldn't really explain other than saying they were for fixing various glitches and were applied to the infotainment, ECU1 and ECU2 or something like that (the service letter mentions a campaign 6148 operation A and H). I thought I'd try to see if I could notice anything on my drive home though and yes, yes I did.

The infotainment system seems to be faster now. A lot of the time switching menu and options was very slow. It's now more responsive and it hasn't lagged so much like before, at least so far. I'll continue to observe with further drives, however I think is real.

The other was the brakes! There's no initial harsh grabbing to them when lightly touching now, there's a nice soft linear start to the braking, they feel now like... hmmmm...? brakes! I have noticed they still grab a bit at the end when at low speed, but overall so much nicer to modulate initially.

That's all I've noticed so far, haven't had much of a chance to drive properly since picking up but will put some more kays on it soon and see if I notice anything else.

For anyone else who's had their G.QV software/firmware updated let me know if you've noticed these changes and or know of anything else that may have been included.

PS:

So to clarify why had to go in for a service, went to start the car one day, the battery was dead, got a jump and then straight off to the service centre in limp mode. All they could say after doing the diagnostics that it was the battery as it was barely charging and not anything else. So my Alfa hasn't been unreliable.... Just the battery :)
Did you complain about the brakes. Mine exhibit the initial grabbiness occasionally, and I'd be happy to see that addressed. Sorry to hear the low-speed end wasn't as well.

Reactions: rjmcinnis
1 - 19 of 19 Posts