Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
281 - 300 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
They have also reconfirmed that Giorgio platform will be phased out.
Out of sheer panic, I just made an offer on a '21 when I had absolutely no intention of getting a Giulia till next year.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia
609 Posts
Out of sheer panic, I just made an offer on a '21 when I had absolutely no intention of getting a Giulia till next year.
😂

Good luck!! Local dealer here is still sitting on a bunch of 2020s. Offering okay discounts but 0% APR if you have Tier 1 credit. I bet they will work on the price too. If you really want to get into one now may save you some $$$.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,108 Posts
In my humble opinion. I expect the path of least resistance....

1. Alfa was planning several new models(some based on the Giorgio platform), which got cancelled ~2019. PSA was working on plans to re-introduce Peugeot to N.America (on their own platforms)
2. PSA takes-over FCA. The new CEO of Stellantis and Alfa are from PSA.
3. They have "cancelled" their plans to reintroduce Peugeot to N.America and instead, appointed a guy who spent the last four years working on plans to reintroduce Peugeot to N.America, as the head of Alfa N.America.
4. They have started voicing their.... "concerns" about the Giorgio platform.

I'm no rocket-scientist by any measure, but:
1. I doubt the recent management changes are a coincidence.
2. I doubt they're going to throw out the work they've been doing for the past few years to bring Peugeot to N.America. (I expect them to double-down)

That's where they got the funding for the next 10 years. IMHO

The bottom line..... would I buy an "Alfa" built on a Peugeot platform?..... Most likely (99%), no.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This Alfa is meant to sit on the existing Fiat/Mazda platform. I was in a coupe kind of mood. I can come up with another car if you guys want, or can make changes to this one. I have a number of responses to a number of users on this thread, but I'm busy with a few different projects at the moment.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,108 Posts
The Giorgio rear-wheel-drive platform that underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia and Stelvio will soon be retired. The "STLA Large" architecture that's in development will take its place at an undisclosed date.

·
Registered
160 Posts
In my humble opinion. I expect the path of least resistance....

1. Alfa was planning several new models(some based on the Giorgio platform), which got cancelled ~2019. PSA was working on plans to re-introduce Peugeot to N.America (on their own platforms)
2. PSA takes-over FCA. The new CEO of Stellantis and Alfa are from PSA.
3. They have "cancelled" their plans to reintroduce Peugeot to N.America and instead, appointed a guy who spent the last four years working on plans to reintroduce Peugeot to N.America, as the head of Alfa N.America.
4. They have started voicing their.... "concerns" about the Giorgio platform.

I'm no rocket-scientist by any measure, but:
1. I doubt the recent management changes are a coincidence.
2. I doubt they're going to throw out the work they've been doing for the past few years to bring Peugeot to N.America. (I expect them to double-down)

That's where they got the funding for the next 10 years. IMHO

The bottom line..... would I buy an "Alfa" built on a Peugeot platform?..... Most likely (99%), no.
The outcome here isn’t necessarily a binary one.

The assumption seems to be that if the platform under futures Alfa isn’t Giorgio (which we know it won’t be) then new platform has to be Peugeot. Why can’t the new platform be genuinely new? Peugeot haven’t made a RWD car in decades, Alfa engineers have. Where is the expertise to design STLA coming from?

From what i’ve read STLA isn’t intended for Peugeot but for Alfa, DS, Maserati and perhaps some of the US brands. Stellantis won’t succeed turning all their products into Peugeot’s. Each band will need to have its own character. While i’m sceptical about how much fun an electric car can be I am keen to see if an electric Alfa can in fact be an Alfa.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,108 Posts
The outcome here isn’t necessarily a binary one.

The assumption seems to be that if the platform under futures Alfa isn’t Giorgio (which we know it won’t be) then new platform has to be Peugeot. Why can’t the new platform be genuinely new? Peugeot haven’t made a RWD car in decades, Alfa engineers have. Where is the expertise to design STLA coming from?

From what i’ve read STLA isn’t intended for Peugeot but for Alfa, DS, Maserati and perhaps some of the US brands. Stellantis won’t succeed turning all their products into Peugeot’s. Each band will need to have its own character. While i’m sceptical about how much fun an electric car can be I am keen to see if an electric Alfa can in fact be an Alfa.
They’re still selling Peugeots in Europe, so we will be able to compare the platforms each brand ends up using. Someone posted a slide from an FCA presentation from a couple of years ago, which seemed to allude to plans to electrify Giorgio. 2030 is ~8.x years away. If electrification is their concern i assume they should be able to do so on Giorgio if necessary(but i suspect they want to ditch Giorgio asap).

I’m not against “badge engineering” or “platform sharing”...... but it depends on the badge, and who made the platform, and as a consumer, i personally prefer Ferrari over Peugeot. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
This Alfa is meant to sit on the existing Fiat/Mazda platform. I was in a coupe kind of mood. I can come up with another car if you guys want, or can make changes to this one. I have a number of responses to a number of users on this thread, but I'm busy with a few different projects at the moment.

View attachment 111150
I'm really sorry to say this, but to me that's one fugly Italian-Japanese bastard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm really sorry to say this, but to me that's one fugly Italian-Japanese bastard.
Don't be. It was supposed to be a mix of the alfa disco and sergio concept. I'll probably come up with something else in the next few days, but I'm a bit swamped at the moment. What's your taste?

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,108 Posts

Apparently the Maserati built on Giorgio will be electrified? I didnt expect that. I’m skeptical,but if its true i assume they could make an EV Stelvio (considering the test mule for Maserati appears to be a Stelvio).

·
Registered
268 Posts

Apparently the Maserati built on Giorgio will be electrified? I didnt expect that. I’m skeptical,but if its true i assume they could make an EV Stelvio (considering the test mule for Maserati appears to be a Stelvio).
That is probably just a PHEV. You can shoehorn a small battery under the trunk/spare tire area. That is how they made my Crosstrek PHEV. It is a complete compromise. Not that much range, reduces my trunk cargo room, adds weight, a little performance, etc. Saving on gas is nice though.

We really don't want BEVs based on existing platforms since they are required to fit batteries, inverters, etc in odd places...Old engine-bay, under seats/trunk, driveshaft tunnel, vs. a proper skateboard battery.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,108 Posts
That is probably just a PHEV. You can shoehorn a small battery under the trunk/spare tire area. That is how they made my Crosstrek PHEV. It is a complete compromise. Not that much range, reduces my trunk cargo room, adds weight, a little performance, etc. Saving on gas is nice though.

We really don't want BEVs based on existing platforms since they are required to fit batteries, inverters, etc in odd places...Old engine-bay, under seats/trunk, driveshaft tunnel, vs. a proper skateboard battery.
From what i've read (I could be mistaken), the new STLA(PSA) platforms will support ice/phev/ev apparently. So there's that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
From what i've read (I could be mistaken), the new STLA(PSA) platforms will support ice/phev/ev apparently. So there's that.
Well, I am not sure why they would want it for ICE, since that's dead. PHEV, is a waste of time for a skateboard platform. BEV is all the STLA needs to do.

·
Registered
268 Posts
They might have seen your signature, stating that you dream of an ICE automobile. Dream on! :ROFLMAO:
Haha, I do, but much sooner than STLA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
... ICE, since that's dead.
say it again. say it again like it's a mantra. do it again. Do it for me. I need to be reminded that I'm a crazy person for preferring internal combustion and I'm having a hard time sleeping at night not being reminded to have a love of battery cars. I should really have those dreams of a manual transmission giulia checked out.

I'm so happy that my preference in automobile is being rendered obsolete and out of favor, constructively. i will for sure not watch Ferrari f1 v12 videos from the 90's. don't worry.

I'm being sarcastic, just in case.

·
Registered
268 Posts
say it again. say it again like it's a mantra. do it again. Do it for me. I need to be reminded that I'm a crazy person for preferring internal combustion and I'm having a hard time sleeping at night not being reminded to have a love of battery cars. I should really have those dreams of a manual transmission giulia checked out.

I'm so happy that my preference in automobile is being rendered obsolete and out of favor, constructively. i will for sure not watch Ferrari f1 v12 videos from the 90's. don't worry.

I’d love a manual Giulia too.

ICE will exist for some time, just not much investment/development for new cars. So enjoy what has come or will come out very shortly. Then keep a few for the weekend.

We’re talking about STLA platform which is BEV first.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,305 Posts

You mention f1, if f1 goes fully electric, then will it behind fe1 and the current fe become fe2? 🤔

281 - 300 of 303 Posts