Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Speaking with analysts in April, FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne said, "Alfa and Maserati together will sell 230,000 units in 2017."

That’s 170,000 vehicles from Alfa Romeo alone and Marchionne was expecting a large portion of those sales to come from the Giulia, but so far Alfa Romeo has only sold 18,908 Giulias in Europe from May 2016 to April 2017. A far cry from the predicted annual global sales of 75,000 to 100,000 Giulias. Meaning more pressure is placed on the Stelvio to help Alfa Romeo reach its 2017 goal.

Perhaps the brand’s first SUV will fare better in sales as it is a more popular body style in both Europe and the U.S. One challenge that held Giulia sales back was the lack of a wagon option in Europe, a segment that accounted for a large portion of their competitors’ sales. Another problem Alfa Romeo ran into was the cooling sedan market worldwide.

These obstacles could be overcome by the new Stelvio SUV though we won’t how well it’ll perform until the third quarter.

"In the third quarter, we might be able to get a first hint of how the Stelvio has been received in its key markets," says Gabriele Gambarova, an analyst at Banca Akros in Milan, Italy. "The U.S. market could absorb 20,000 units this year between the Giulia and Stelvio."

·
Registered
42 Posts
The US market has already sold substantially more this year than they sold all year last year. The dealer lot was full of Stelvio's, so you can certainly see which one they are relying on.

·
Registered
144 Posts
That is just the reality of things these days.

Associating the brand with Maserati (most people see it as a high end car), and pushing the Stelvio, will keep Alfa alive in the US. Fortunately, popular crossovers built on car platforms will let us enthusiasts have our sedans and (maybe) coupes.

·
Registered
440 Posts
^ I hope so.

The fact the Giulia is selling as much as the Stelvio in 2019 should be of concern for AR though.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
^ I hope so.

The fact the Giulia is selling as much as the Stelvio in 2019 should be of concern for AR though.

I believe that IF Alfa starts to subsidize their lease deals through FCA Financial they will move more...
take a page out of BMW FS.
I looked at a lease and was amazed how bad the numbers were...FYI I didn't negotiate... I just looked at what was offered cold.

and I agree that the Stelvio is the horse that should be pulling the cart (pardon the pun) as that segment is tremendous in the US market

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"Stelvio is the horse that should be pulling the cart"
horses are more fun, I have to agree.
better than riding in the cart haha.

c'mon guys, Alfa has always been known as a sports car manufacturer, even though 4 doors were and are the bread and butter. why any of you would expect the roomier 4 door to drastically outsell the "imagine it's a coupe" version is beyond me, as is the logic of one 4 door saving/making possible the other 4 door.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
"Stelvio is the horse that should be pulling the cart"
horses are more fun, I have to agree.
better than riding in the cart haha.

c'mon guys, Alfa has always been known as a sports car manufacturer, even though 4 doors were and are the bread and butter. why any of you would expect the roomier 4 door to drastically outsell the "imagine it's a coupe" version is beyond me, as is the logic of one 4 door saving/making possible the other 4 door.
You can throw the “known as a sports car maker” out the window in today’s market. Porsche used to be the same way. Heck for some the company existed solely to make 911’s and nothing else mattered. Nowadays about half of P cars are SUV’s and only about one out five vehicles they produce even has just two doors. If Porsche can’t survive as predominately a sports car maker Alfa has zero chance of it....

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can throw the “known as a sports car maker” out the window in today’s market. Porsche used to be the same way. Heck for some the company existed solely to make 911’s and nothing else mattered. Nowadays about half of P cars are SUV’s and only about one out five vehicles they produce even has just two doors. If Porsche can’t survive as predominately a sports car maker Alfa has zero chance of it....
Very well said. All of the sales traction these days is on SUVs, period. It’s to the point that Ford has deep-sixed all its cars except for the Mustang, and GM is not far behind. Volvo was able to reinvent itself completely by focusing on the XC90, then XC60, then XC40. The sedans and wagons only exist because the XC’s made the company profitable again. Alfa will need to follow that recipe. Hopefully that allows them enough revenue to continue to make cars that enthusiasts love too.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
1/2 of Alfa sales are stelvio.

but they aren't being sold to people moving from a camry to an suv, those people like the way toyota etc etc drives.

they are being sold to pretty much the same car people as are on this board, but also have a need for a suv, and would otherwise be getting a porsche bmw etc suv

·
Registered
576 Posts
It’s odd that despite sales being way off, I’m seeing so many more Alfas on the road around where I live. Saw about 4-5 today and about 6-8 yesterday. I think if they can stick with it and keep churning out entertaining new models, they will build some traction from this current slow sales pace. Eventually, the negative (inane) complaint articles/posts will quiet as well. People are easily frightened off by what they hear about the brand without any firsthand experience. Mine have been spectacularly flawless over the past few years, but I’m not getting any more at this point for at least a few years...or at least until the GTV launches.

Reactions: Rich Olmstead

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,739 Posts
It’s odd that despite sales being way off, I’m seeing so many more Alfas on the road around where I live. Saw about 4-5 today and about 6-8 yesterday. I think if they can stick with it and keep churning out entertaining new models, they will build some traction from this current slow sales pace. Eventually, the negative (inane) complaint articles/posts will quiet as well. People are easily frightened off by what they hear about the brand without any firsthand experience. Mine have been spectacularly flawless over the past few years, but I’m not getting any more at this point for at least a few years...or at least until the GTV launches.
I wonder how many of those are coming out of hibernation rather than new sales.

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Registered
576 Posts
I don’t think so as most were daily driver Giulia and Stelvio Ti Sports, not Quadrifoglios. With that said, my local dealer has sold 3-4 Quadrifoglios in the last 7-10 days. At least in the Boston area, things are picking up pretty good lately.

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
I don’t think so as most were daily driver Giulia and Stelvio Ti Sports, not Quadrifoglios. With that said, my local dealer has sold 3-4 Quadrifoglios in the last 7-10 days. At least in the Boston area, things are picking up pretty good lately.
Maybe some supah deals, then?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Maybe some supah deals, then?
We don’t really talk like that. Only uneducated dummies in East Boston, South Boston, and Charlestown working in Dunkin Donuts do...and of course the Kennedy Family...which I guess is pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
8,739 Posts
We don’t really talk like that. Only uneducated dummies in East Boston, South Boston, and Charlestown working in Dunkin Donuts do...and of course the Kennedy Family...which I guess is pretty much the same thing.
Thank you for demonstrating the sense of humor for which Bostonians are known.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.