Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1976 Alfa created the Alfetta Challenge Cup, a racing series based on showroom stock Alfettas competing in Class A of the SCCA National and Regional events across the country. The series was created after a disastrous fire aboard a transport ship, the Tarrantino which caught fire while at sea and damaged scores of new Alfettas. Many of the cars were only smoke damaged but were not saleable to the general public so Alfa chose to make them available to racers to compete in the Alfetta Challenge Cup Series with a purse of $35,000. I purchased two of the cars, an Alfetta sedan and an Alfetta GT and competed in the series traveling to 21 SCCA events in three months. I won 17 of those races and the Series championship and was presented with the Alfetta Challenge Cup at an awards presentation at the New York Trade Center in January of 1977 by the CEO of Alfa Romeo, C.V. Ronchetti. This championship was my first national title followed by two more SCCA National Championships and the IMSA Endurance Championship. Alfa Romeo continued to support SCCA racers driving Alfa Romeos for the next several years and I competed in SCCA Class B National competition until 1979 winning the 19 SCCA National races and the Southern Pacific Division National Championship 3 years in a row. Unfortunately Alfa discontinued its support of American sports car racing by the early 80s. With the introduction of the Gulia it would be wonderful and very appropriate if Alfa Romeo could renew its interest in the sport of auto racing. Of course back in 1976 a new Alfetta cost just a bit over $6000 . . . just 10% of today's cost. But if they did create something similar to the Alfetta Challenge Cup for the new Gulia I would be first in line to participate!

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Giulietta TCR will be running in Pirelli World Challenge and IMSA Continental Challenge in 2018. Tim Munday, owner of BAM! racing, has imported them from Romeo Ferraris in Italy and is campaigning them. He has seats still available, if you're interested and funded. There will be an open test at Palm Beach International on 1/18/18.

I tried to get some support from FCA to get into one of these cars, but FCA US is not interested in supporting this effort, likely because the Giulietta is not sold here.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/munday-bam-heading-up-alfa-romeo-tcr-north-american-effort/

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I think/hope that IF Alfa has some success in the new ahem Michelin series..LOL they might just get behind a sports car racing program...
after all the Cadillac crew campaigned the CTS-V and had great success with Andy Pilgrim....might be nice to see the QV on a track...or at least the Ti up against Acura and the like!

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I was a bit distracted and using a phone when this thread reappeared - but I thought the original post was a good read, the pic of the alfetta sedan and quadrifoglio on the van is classic, and it's too bad this gentleman isn't a regular participant here.
if I wore a hat it would be off, a national championship is a real big deal, four of em ....
there's fast cars, and then there are fast drivers.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Thread Relocation

I moved this thread from 'Classified' to 'Motorsports Discussion'.

·
Registered
619 Posts
i so wish the scca and imsa were like they were in the nick craw and john bishop days. the bilstein cup, the Renault cup etc were exciting racing series. the firehawk series began so well but the manufacturers got interested and there went the racing budget for the average racer. scca showroom stock national racing was also great fun and very competitive. even scca production racing was semi affordable prior to the allowance of tube frame cars.

my love of racing and participation has really waned due to cost and lack of any material participation. the grids have gotten generally so small.

vintage racing is where the fun is these days...at least in my humble opinion. i am 50 years old so it may be a sign of my age:)

·
Registered
619 Posts
I was a bit distracted and using a phone when this thread reappeared - but I thought the original post was a good read, the pic of the alfetta sedan and quadrifoglio on the van is classic, and it's too bad this gentleman isn't a regular participant here.
if I wore a hat it would be off, a national championship is a real big deal, four of em ....
there's fast cars, and then there are fast drivers.
and yes...back in the day, a scca national championship was a very big deal. it was hammer and tong racing. winning the runoffs was huge! those were great days indeed!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
vintage racing is where the fun is these days...at least in my humble opinion. i am 50 years old so it may be a sign of my age:)

I’m a bit younger than you but I agree. I grew up around vintage racing though so it’s always been cool to me. I’m into vintage motorcycle and vintage sports car road racing because the machines are cool, the racing fun and the paddock camaraderie is great. Plus I’m not competitive enough to win plastic trophies and contingency money doesn’t really light my fire so modern car bang em up road racing isn’t my preferred flavor of entertainment.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I posted this the prior day - because you were sleeping, papa.
for those of us who don't speak Italian, this and other vids have translation, click on CC, and then on the gear looking thing and specify english, or any other preference you have.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts