Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay. This was a little shocking. I am buying my car out of state. However, they offered the Alfa Romeo Premium Care Plan for service. Included Oil Changes, brake Fluid, Spark Plugs and inspections. So I thought, well I think I will call the local Alfa dealer here to find out about the plan. So I called and talked to the Service department and said I was going to get the Alfa Premium Care and they informed me that there would still be a large portion of the cost out of pocket to me. For example. Annual Oil and Inspection (includes filter) $375. Alfa covers $150 I pay the balance. Brake fluid and spark plugs same deal but with spark plugs due at year 3 I think cost $450 Alfa covers $150 I pay $300.

So my question is for Alfa Care or anyone else that can help me understand how this makes sense. I pay for maintenance coverage but it does NOT cover all the cost of the item it supposedly covers. I said my BMW dealer has never questioned my coverage. Answer: Well BMW has had a long time to work things out......So then why is Alfa Romeo having dealers sell service plans that the dealership is not accepting as payment in full for services covered???????

Alfa HELP!!!!!:D

·
Registered
316 Posts
This does not directly address your question, but I did not get the service plan because it seemed grossly over-priced to me. If what your dealer said is correct and it is only partial coverage it's even a worse deal than I thought.

Reasons I did not get the premium service plan:
1) the first service is fully covered by Alfa, so that's a no-brainer
2) the second service is basically just inspections except for oil change and air filter replacement, and you don't need Alfa to do those (just keep your receipts)
3) the third service is more extensive but comes at 30,000 miles and I have a 30k lease. Because I will turn it in before that servicing is needed I'll let the Alfa pay for that service too.

The third servicing may be a different calculation for you if you purchased rather than leased.

·
Registered
402 Posts
anyone know what the price of the 3rd service is.

Also, you can bring your car to ANY competent mechanic as long as said mechanic performs the required maintenance. So, like @90Below stated, you can go elsewhere for the 20K, and even the 30K, just keep the receipts.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I asked my dealership and they didnt offer any prepaid service plans. Cost off QV maintenace is about 2 to 3k every 36k miles if I recall correctly.

I believe the dealer that is offering the plan would honor that plan 100%. But if you are an out of state buyer which we are we have to look to what our local dealers honor. It sounds like the local dealer is not offering that plan because they don't honor it as a 100% pre-paid service plan because it is a loser deal for them. Alfa should be reimbursing higher so they will adopt and honor or remove their name from it Hopefully Alfa will be able to work with the US dealers to offer a plan that works well for everyone otherwise Alfa should not have their name branded on a plan that 100% of the dealers don't support. This is a growing pain but if I would have taken my car in and found this out after the fact....oh yes you owe us $175 for your prepaid oil change I would have gone nuts. I know leasing is a good idea with a new platform but we keep cars and don't finance so we knew it was a little risky and crossing our fingers Alfa is here to stay.

How can I reach Alfacare to ask whatsup with this? There is no number on their website.

And thanks for weighing in.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I know leasing is a good idea with a new platform but we keep cars and don't finance so we knew it was a little risky and crossing our fingers Alfa is here to stay.
----

Both of the BMW's I leased included all maintenance as part of the lease package. However, when I leased my Alfa, I was told there was no maintenance package.. all service will come out of my pocket (other than warranty of course). So leasing (vs buying) an Alfa will not help you with the maintenance costs..

·
Registered
402 Posts
Another FCA oddity. Bring back a car, dealers have no clue how much the service costs, and offer a service plan that most dealers do not know about. Just include the basic maintenance like BMW or offer an Audi-Care type plan so the person who leases (which is the majority of BMW 3 series and I would guess Audi A4) drivers have known costs for the term of the lease.

·
Registered
2020 gulia
156 Posts
I was told the first service was free. After that it would be around $600. A year I have a mechanic that I have used for years. He will be seeing me after my first free dealer service. Of course warranty issues not included!

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
----

Both of the BMW's I leased included all maintenance as part of the lease package. However, when I leased my Alfa, I was told there was no maintenance package.. all service will come out of my pocket (other than warranty of course). So leasing (vs buying) an Alfa will not help you with the maintenance costs..[/quote]

that depends on what year BMW you leased/bought.
2016 was the last year of 4 years 50k miles starting in 2017 it became 3 years 36k but more importantly the stuff that was covered in 2016 is NOT covered in 2017....
that is why BMW leases were untouchable compared with Audi & Merc.
the big ticket item covered in all 2016 cars and not 2017 & newer are the brake pads & rotors.
Now BMW tries to sell you a maintenance package for items that used to be covered prior.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Trust me, BMW and other companies that give "free" service have factored in their overall costs. Our new X3 and X5 had oil changes covered. This is not a huge cost to either consumer or company. Bigger items, if not warranty issues, usually escape from coverage - and this is calculated. Example, the crappy stock tires always wore out at 40K and were never covered anyhow. The brake pads wore out at 55-60K miles and were just over the 50K mile cut-off (and were not covered). Other maintenance parts aren't spec'd to be replaced until higher miles (battery, belts, bushings, other fluid changes) and also escape coverage. On other brands like Porsche our oil changes are never covered though I have seen different P-dealers charge variable rates for oil changes ($175-350) on the same vehicle. I think individual dealers (including the parts counter) are free to add a surcharge and charge whatever they want (as long as reasonable). That is at least what I've seen on a few dealers over a few differing makes. One nice thing for AR would be to treat the QV like BMW treats M-cars. On an M-car there is lifetime roadside assistance for the life of the car (not the owner) and the car can only be assessed and worked on by a "M-trained" service adviser and mechanic respectively. It certainly makes you feel special when you have to admittedly deal with an annoying problem, defect, design flaw, etc on a really expensive and limited edition vehicle.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Trust me, BMW and other companies that give "free" service have factored in their overall costs. Our new X3 and X5 had oil changes covered. This is not a huge cost to either consumer or company. Bigger items, if not warranty issues, usually escape from coverage - and this is calculated. Example, the crappy stock tires always wore out at 40K and were never covered anyhow. The brake pads wore out at 55-60K miles and were just over the 50K mile cut-off (and were not covered). Other maintenance parts aren't spec'd to be replaced until higher miles (battery, belts, bushings, other fluid changes) and also escape coverage. On other brands like Porsche our oil changes are never covered though I have seen different P-dealers charge variable rates for oil changes ($175-350) on the same vehicle. I think individual dealers (including the parts counter) are free to add a surcharge and charge whatever they want (as long as reasonable). That is at least what I've seen on a few dealers over a few differing makes. One nice thing for AR would be to treat the QV like BMW treats M-cars. On an M-car there is lifetime roadside assistance for the life of the car (not the owner) and the car can only be assessed and worked on by a "M-trained" service adviser and mechanic respectively. It certainly makes you feel special when you have to admittedly deal with an annoying problem, defect, design flaw, etc on a really expensive and limited edition vehicle.
Then I guess I was the lucky one:grin2: My wife's cars are always leased, (every 3years),she gets her leases with 15k per year as she usually exceeds it by a little....and with each BMW going back to her first one in 2000, she has had to have the brakes done once (Rotors and pads) not to mention other little silly stuff like wipers and we never paid a dime. Clearly I'm sure they factor "it in" as you mention, however every time her lease was up, she always said, I want to try a different car, Audi, Merc etc. and everytime she went back to BMW..why? because it was still a better deal $$$$ wise even though they factored that in at the time. the other guys leases w/15k and NO Maintenance was always the same or sometimes a little more $$$.
When her last lease was up 2013 F30 328 x-drive, she hated that car, and rightfully so, 1st year for the platform and it was one of the 1st delivered. when her time was up, instead of getting a 328 she got the 340 BUT went with a 2016 as opposed to 17 just because of the included maintenance. starting with all MY17 the included maintenance is for 3yrs 36k and does not include the big items like brakes.(wear & tear)

as far as M car service, well lets just say that like Alfa it all depends on what dealer you bring it to:p

·
Registered
6 Posts
MINIME, I know this post is a few months old but, I think that I can shed light on this subject because i'm an expert on this ( Not a good thing at all!!!) The problem is MOPAR!!! We bought the Premium care last week for my wife's car. I drive a RAM 1500 ecodiesel, i got the pre-paid oil changes when i bought it. I paid $75 an oil change instead of the the $150-$180 the dealer charges. So I go to make an appointment for my second oil change at the dealer closest to me. They don't accept it, so i chalked it up to being butt hurt that I didn't buy from them. so I call the next closed one, same thing, mopar pays $75 and I pay the rest. So I call mopar to complain and was told that that's how it works, after talking to a brick for awhile I ask for a manager to call me back( never one available to talk to at the time) and was told they cant make them honor it. the next to closed dealers do so I go to them. So you have to call around and find one.

Also I traded in a 2014 BMW328d xi, now that maintenance package was BEAUTIFUL!!, All I paid for was tires every single thing else including brakes were covered. I did learn that BMW change the program in 2016 and took off a lot of covered parts, so now Jag is the only car manufacturer that does still cover everything.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I usually read the fine print before making my final decision to purchase something like this. Clearly there is a big SNAFU on MOPAR's part. Since I haven't read the plan or the fine print, I'm kind of curious as to what it says. I usually decide to stay away from these sort of things as the fine print usually doesn't allow me to get much for my money.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I usually read the fine print before making my final decision to purchase something like this. Clearly there is a big SNAFU on MOPAR's part. Since I haven't read the plan or the fine print, I'm kind of curious as to what it says. I usually decide to stay away from these sort of things as the fine print usually doesn't allow me to get much for my money.
Mine was a few months back when I was first buying a Ti before the QV. I got a hold of my local servicing dealer and they said that they don't support the Alfa Premium Care servicing. I declined the dealership coverage out of state and let them know and they acted like they have never heard that (really and they are the biggest dealer in QVs and Alfas). In any case I just talked to Alfa Care a few weeks ago. They told me that they will require the dealerships to honor those servicing for Alfa Premium prepaid service (call them if they don't) but they do NOT cover QVs or 4Cs. No prepaid service on those.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,758 Posts
Sounds like you were scammed. Perhaps contact the AG's office in the state where the plan was sold?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would get my money back from the selling dealership on the coverage. Alfa said the prepaid maintenance should cover in full for the Giulia trims and if not they want to know what dealerships are not honoring those. Just not QVs, 4C's they are SOL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you have to go to the dealer for your second and third service or can you go to any independent shop and get those done?
This does not directly address your question, but I did not get the service plan because it seemed grossly over-priced to me. If what your dealer said is correct and it is only partial coverage it's even a worse deal than I thought.

Reasons I did not get the premium service plan:
1) the first service is fully covered by Alfa, so that's a no-brainer
2) the second service is basically just inspections except for oil change and air filter replacement, and you don't need Alfa to do those (just keep your receipts)
3) the third service is more extensive but comes at 30,000 miles and I have a 30k lease. Because I will turn it in before that servicing is needed I'll let the Alfa pay for that service too.

The third servicing may be a different calculation for you if you purchased rather than leased.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.