Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have just learned that the dealership in San Antonio closed last week. No notifications, nothing, left us hanging. The closest dealership is in Austin Texas, about two hours away.

·
Registered
717 Posts
It happens. They closed one in Cincinnati with no notice. They also opened a new dealership about 15 miles away of that one which closed and in addition to that, they are building a new $3MM dealership about 17 miles away from the one which closed. Such is life.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well I have just learned that the dealership in San Antonio closed last week. No notifications, nothing, left us hanging. The closest dealership is in Austin Texas, about two hours away.
Oh wow. Their website suggests they are still open for business. On a positive note, now there's a sound excuse for a nice Hill Country backroad drive to Austin =). I purchased a couple of vehicles from the Austin dealer, with good experiences overall.

Cheers, S

·
Registered
257 Posts
It's going to get alot worse, across the board, but especially for a marginal brand like Alfa. Sales are going to collapse, will Alfa even have any cars coming in? I also read that service appointments are down 40% across the board at dealers. Dealers are going to be starved for revenue now and the marginal ones won't have the cash flow to stay open.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Alfa needs more cars, a bigger Stelvio and also the Tonale, plus introduce that inline 6 based on the 2.0 that has been rumored for almost 2 years now and to keep the tech people happy have more tech. Also 10 years 100k bumper to bumper warranty. So people that are afraid of reliability concerns will be more assured. And the last thing, where is the certified preowned program? These are all things need to be taken care of asap.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport
25 Posts
Its come and it goes. Apparently we lost 2 dealerships in the Boston area in the past 2 years, and we just found out a NEW one opened up right in the downtown area, a huge gorgeous facility (Maserati & Alfa)...

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,321 Posts
Its come and it goes.
No, it does not. Alfa has fewer dealers today than it did when it relaunched the brand in the USA. It goes, is the correct assessment.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just received a recall and have to go to Austin for repair. Four hour drive round trip plus the time at the dealer. I love this car but considering trading it in for another brand. I will lose money because a car that had an MSRP of $45k two years ago is down to $21k today, quite a hit in the pocketbook. I am torn because I love this car but practicality may set in.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Just received a recall and have to go to Austin for repair. Four hour drive round trip plus the time at the dealer. I love this car but considering trading it in for another brand. I will lose money because a car that had an MSRP of $45k two years ago is down to $21k today, quite a hit in the pocketbook. I am torn because I love this car but practicality may set in.
Recalls don't happen very often, maybe once or twice a year. You'll just have to take a nice trip one day a year for service, and best of all... you get to do it in a Giulia! I have a 10 hour round trip to get to the closest dealer which is in Salt Lake City (I'm in Idaho). I paid cash for my car 2 1/2 years ago when I bought it, and I'd rather make that 10 hour trip once a year than give up my car and take a $30k hit. The car is just too good to give up for something like "OMG I have to drive for 10 hours once a year in it!" If that's the only inconvenience, I can handle that. I've been in communication with executive management at FCA for the last 5 months pushing for dealer solutions. Several are being considered, although right now that's probably on hold until this virus issue winds down, but it will eventually.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i hear your pain, I am in the same boat wrt depreciation (2017 Ti Q2). How often have you had to take it to the dealer though? For me it has been only yearly maintenance, which any (higher-end?) shop can do. Once my Giulia is out of warranty, I will most likely take it to the same independent tuner/shop that I already take my 124 Spider to. Only reason for trip to the dealer would be recalls then, which have not been that frequent. Just my .02, YMMV.

Cheers, SL

·
Registered
717 Posts
Recalls don't happen very often, maybe once or twice a year. You'll just have to take a nice trip one day a year for service, and best of all... you get to do it in a Giulia! I have a 10 hour round trip to get to the closest dealer which is in Salt Lake City (I'm in Idaho). I paid cash for my car 2 1/2 years ago when I bought it, and I'd rather make that 10 hour trip once a year than give up my car and take a $30k hit. The car is just too good to give up for something like "OMG I have to drive for 10 hours once a year in it!" If that's the only inconvenience, I can handle that. I've been in communication with executive management at FCA for the last 5 months pushing for dealer solutions. Several are being considered, although right now that's probably on hold until this virus issue winds down, but it will eventually.
Thanks @Eagle7 for your perspective. It is positive and practical. Hope people can read it and think about it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are all right. The first year of ownership went to the dealer 6 times. The second year, only twice. It's getting better but here's another anomaly. Take it to the dealer for a problem, he needs to keep it overnight, they give me a loaner. That's eight hours of driving. I hear you that 10 hours once a year is no problem but if you had to do it three or four times a year, that would be a concern. I am looking at options but going at a slow pace because I really don't want to get rid of my 2018 Giulia.

·
Registered
723 Posts
It happens. They closed one in Cincinnati with no notice. They also opened a new dealership about 15 miles away of that one which closed and in addition to that, they are building a new $3MM dealership about 17 miles away from the one which closed. Such is life.
dealership?
Hi Guiliano - Is the new dealership going to replace the current "Cincinnati North" location (Sweeney)? or is it a brand new dealership? We will have to get together again sometime for another coffee and a chat. I guess after the damn Coronavirus has passed through and things start to re-open here. Our company has deemed itself as an "essential" one and has not officially sent people home. It was made an option for people that could work from home effectively, so I decided to work from home ;)

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
You are spot on. I got out of every BMW I ever had just before warranty ran out. I swore never to buy another yet ended up in one for the smile the car put on my face. Till I discovered the Giulia. But by now, I'm only leasing. Still, the point is, every issue is an issue too much. Maybe you can accept one or two gripes a year, but beyond that is a no-no. The problem may be covered under warranty. And they may give you a loaner. But even with the dealer around the corner, it's time of the day taken out of my life which is uncompensated. And as it goes, the time spent in dealing with these kind of issues and nightmare tends to be high productivity time for most people. Who's paying for that? Not the car maker? And hence I got out of the BMWs. Too many headaches where I did not want to spend even that 45 minutes to drive to a dealer each way, (10 miles can be 45 minutes in places I tend to stay), plus time to deal with people at the dealerships, etc.
You are all right. The first year of ownership went to the dealer 6 times. The second year, only twice. It's getting better but here's another anomaly. Take it to the dealer for a problem, he needs to keep it overnight, they give me a loaner. That's eight hours of driving. I hear you that 10 hours once a year is no problem but if you had to do it three or four times a year, that would be a concern. I am looking at options but going at a slow pace because I really don't want to get rid of my 2018 Giulia.

·
Registered
717 Posts
dealership?
Hi Guiliano - Is the new dealership going to replace the current "Cincinnati North" location (Sweeney)? or is it a brand new dealership? We will have to get together again sometime for another coffee and a chat. I guess after the damn Coronavirus has passed through and things start to re-open here. Our company has deemed itself as an "essential" one and has not officially sent people home. It was made an option for people that could work from home effectively, so I decided to work from home ;)
It is not a new dealership. It is a new $3MM building for the current Alfa Romeo of Cincinnati at the Village. Right now, the Alfa Romeo of Cincinnati at the Village dealership shares a building with Maserati, Volvo and Porsche. They bought the land aside that building and are building a new showroom and offices only for Alfa Romeo. I assume that the service and parts offices will stay at the current building. I am WFH since one week ago. Hopefully we can meet soon for another coffee.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just learned that the dealership in San Antonio closed last week. No notifications, nothing, left us hanging. The closest dealership is in Austin Texas, about two hours away.
The Alfa Romeo dealership is in the process of being bought out by another dealer in San Antonio. This should be done within a couple of months according to Alfa Romeo of San Antonio (Barrett's Motors). This new dealership will have a Service Department, so there is no need to go to Austin.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The Alfa Romeo dealership is in the process of being bought out by another dealer in San Antonio. This should be done within a couple of months according to Alfa Romeo of San Antonio (Barrett's Motors). This new dealership will have a Service Department, so there is no need to go to Austin.
This is good news to many who needs the dealership to stay in San Antonio. Thanks for sharing.

·
Vendor
1,049 Posts
I understand how that would be an inconvenience, AlphaRomeo2018. If you need any help while working with your dealer, please let us know.

Kate
AlfaRomeoCares

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I made a tough decision and traded in my Alfa. Sad to see her go. I purchased a Genesis G70, 3.3 twin turbo, 365 horsepower, 380 lbs of torque with all the bells and whistles. I know I am going to enjoy this car, got a great price for a new 2019 model. Zero percent financ8ng for 60 months, 5 years, 60k miles bumper to bumper, 3 years free maintenance, powertrain covered for 10 years, 100k miles. Not a Giulia but pretty close.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts