Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
i think its a little under powered if i read it right only 118 hp. should have same or more power then the vw gulf.
It seems that the Brits get the "short end of the stick" from AR (is Giulia Super available in the UK? I see to remember not.). The Australian Giulietta Super has about 150BHP. I thought there was a version with a 1.7liter ~200 BHP engine, which would be into the torque steers like mad power range for FWD.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
i think its a little under powered if i read it right only 118 hp. should have same or more power then the vw gulf.
It seems that the Brits get the "short end of the stick" from AR (is Giulia Super available in the UK? I see to remember not.). The Australian Giulietta Super has about 150BHP. I thought there was a version with a 1.7liter ~200 BHP engine, which would be into the torque steers like mad power range for FWD.
200HP is not rare in FWD these days, bunch of cars with that kind of power up front...anybody remeber 147GTA from many many moons ago?

Giulietta is really nice car but I never liked the look of the front end:( Hear that new one will look almost like Giulia’s little sister....

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
200HP is not rare in FWD these days, bunch of cars with that kind of power up front...anybody remeber 147GTA from many many moons ago?

Giulietta is really nice car but I never liked the look of the front end:( Hear that new one will look almost like Giulia’s little sister....
Supposedly a torque vectoring differential can mitigate FWD torque steer. I have no experience with that though, I just know that all of the higher-power FWD vehicles that I have driven (200HP+) had torque steer issues and that my 122HP Protege exhibits no torque steer at all.

I do not know if a 200HP Giulietta exists or if it can be optioned with a torque vectoring differential. What I do know is that Giulietta sells well in the UK in spite of competing with Honda, Toyota and Mazda offerings.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My 164Q has 240HP and no torque steer. Equal length drive shafts, lots of caster, and a special steering rack with dampener are used to prevent TS and it works extremely well. Alfa engineered an extremely effective FWD chassis far superior to the high power VW GTI's I have also owned. Compared to RWD, FWD loses in low speed tight corners but has less drivetrain power loss, lighter weight, and more efficient packaging. Giulia is really a mid/front engine car which hurts interior space but gains agility. Also lots of power!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
My 164Q has 240HP and no torque steer. Equal length drive shafts, lots of caster, and a special steering rack with dampener are used to prevent TS and it works extremely well. Alfa engineered an extremely effective FWD chassis far superior to the high power VW GTI's I have also owned. Compared to RWD, FWD loses in low speed tight corners but has less drivetrain power loss, lighter weight, and more efficient packaging. Giulia is really a mid/front engine car which hurts interior space but gains agility. Also lots of power!
It's good to hear that it is manageable. I wonder how Giulietta compares?
It is difficult to add AWD to a FWD vehicle without losing all of the advantages of FWD. Note the relatively poor fuel economy of the Ford and VW offerings.

The front biased weight balance of FWD famously helps with traction in slippery conditions.

The 2.0T Giulia has the engine pretty far back in the compartment, although I'm not sure it is far enough back to qualify as mid engine (front of engine behind the front axle?). There is a ~6" gap between the back of the radiator and the front of the engine with more-or-less nothing in it. This yields that 50-50 weight balance, but does crowd the passengers. I think the room is needed for the V6 and all of its massive plumbing. It makes room for the EC V2 intake kit :) (that air cleaner is HUGE)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
hmm
maybe terminology, but any fwd I've driven over damp/snowy/otherwise slippery surfaces gets pull (left/right) in the steering wheel as the front tires gain and lose traction under hard acceleration - and both 164s didn't need wet pavement to get this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The Giulietta Veloce has the 1.750cc turbo w/ 240hp and a TCT transmission. not sure about the torque vector differential, which it is not mentioned in the Alfa Romeo website. Maybe Quattroruote.it has more info about it. Anyways, I drove a diesel Giulietta, and at that time was awesome.. But now I do think it needs to be replaced by a new model.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
PWC Car???

this may be the car Alfa will be campaigning in the Pirelli World Challenge TCR class. Last year was 1st for TCR(brought over from Europe) and a new player, Hyundai will be bringing a 2 car team owned by Bryan Herta. the car is a europe only car called the i30N would be an Elantra GT here??

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Giorgio platform underlying the Giulia was designed so it could be altered for use under a C segment vehicle. Apparently FCA did consider a Giorgio platform Giulietta but abandoned the idea for several reasons (1) limited global demand for premium branded small vehicles generally, (2) lower profit margins on small vehicles, and (3) specific uncertainty about demand for a small car with RWD/AWD. At least in this market, FCA is making so much money selling Jeeps, pickup trucks and minivans, and got burned so badly by the Dodge Dart, that it has lost all interest in cars unless they carry a premium brand and are D segment size or larger.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow I'm surprised with how much I like that hatchback. Unfortunately doesn't look like it'll ever make it stateside without an import. Doesn't seem like its lacking in power in the high end trims either. I wonder why they have no interest in bringing it to North America, with the hatchback segment being so popular at the moment. You'd think they would want to diversify their line up and it work well here with its lower entry level price point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts