Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Alfa Romeo has been trying to shake off the brand’s reputation for unreliable vehicles with the new Giulia, but it seems like their latest performance sedan has been running into one problem after another.

Last we heard, a Giulia Quadrifoglio broke down on the Anglesey Circuit while a PistonHeads journalist was behind the wheel, but it seems like reliability problems have been cropping up even before then. Car And Driver’s test Giulia QV died following a remote start and even though they managed to get the Giulia started, it was stuck in low-boost advanced-efficiency mode. James Mills from The Sunday Times went through three test vehicles and all of them had one problem or another. Even his colleague didn’t escape unscathed, suffering jammed parking sensors that wouldn’t stop beeping.

These failures seems widespread and they’re plaguing both journalist test vehicles and privately owned ones. Jalopnik took a look at the Fiat Chrysler service bulletins via a subscription-based Mopar service site called Tech Authority and listed a few of the reported issues.

There’s the customer reported chattering noise when steering is at full lock. Alfa Romeo currently has no fix for this, instead it is labels as a feature of the AlfaTM Link technology. Programming updates were issued to allow the rear defrost and blower fan to function during a Start/Stop operation. A brake bulletin stated that the brake pad wear sensors can get disconnected and the fix is to simply use tape and a zip tie.

Of course there’s the long list electrical issues; remote start function was not working consistently, forward collision warning system may turn itself off, infotainment screen locking up, lane departure options appearing in cars not equipped with it, and a few more. Most of these problems requires a program update.

The Giulia is an exceptional performance sedan, but maybe Alfa Romeo should have ironed out a few more kinks first.

·
Registered
94 Posts

Alfa Romeo has been trying to shake off the brand’s reputation for unreliable vehicles with the new Giulia, but it seems like their latest performance sedan has been running into one problem after another.

Last we heard, a Giulia Quadrifoglio broke down on the Anglesey Circuit while a PistonHeads journalist was behind the wheel, but it seems like reliability problems have been cropping up even before then. Car And Driver’s test Giulia QV died following a remote start and even though they managed to get the Giulia started, it was stuck in low-boost advanced-efficiency mode. James Mills from The Sunday Times went through three test vehicles and all of them had one problem or another. Even his colleague didn’t escape unscathed, suffering jammed parking sensors that wouldn’t stop beeping.

These failures seems widespread and they’re plaguing both journalist test vehicles and privately owned ones. Jalopnik took a look at the Fiat Chrysler service bulletins via a subscription-based Mopar service site called Tech Authority and listed a few of the reported issues.

There’s the customer reported chattering noise when steering is at full lock. Alfa Romeo currently has no fix for this, instead it is labels as a feature of the AlfaTM Link technology. Programming updates were issued to allow the rear defrost and blower fan to function during a Start/Stop operation. A brake bulletin stated that the brake pad wear sensors can get disconnected and the fix is to simply use tape and a zip tie.

Of course there’s the long list electrical issues; remote start function was not working consistently, forward collision warning system may turn itself off, infotainment screen locking up, lane departure options appearing in cars not equipped with it, and a few more. Most of these problems requires a program update.

The Giulia is an exceptional performance sedan, but maybe Alfa Romeo should have ironed out a few more kinks first.

The Giulia is a great car....this is not an issue only to Alfa. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, Maserati and the list goes on and all had issue when they have introduced a new model. When BMW launched the E65 745 they had all sorts of issues with that car. They were breaking down at the lunch in Miami left and right. When the put the new 330 out, it had all sorts of fuel system and turbo issues. When Maserati launched the Ghibli in 2014 they had all sorts of issue with that car. I can list may be 10 new cars in the last twenty years that have come out that have had there issues and now they are just fine. You can do all the R & D you want cars act differently in different driving conditions and that's when you start see all the issues. Car in the northern parts of the country has different issue then the southern cars and east to west. I would just put this in the category of growing pains and they will get it worked out.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
So what is going on here?....poster with forum official sounding name Alfa Romeo Giulia News....posts negative stuff all the time....

Did somebody hacked this account lol, it started like a marketing news and last couple of months it is suddenly pissing in its own cereal

·
Registered
473 Posts
Come on.... this has been posted in several threads on this forum. This thread needs to be closed in lieu of other threads that preceded it.

And by the way, my QV got me to work and home today without any mechanical or electronic problems. And it did the same the day before that, and the day before that, and all the way back to when I bought the car in the middle of April.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
So what is going on here?....poster with forum official sounding name Alfa Romeo Giulia News....posts negative stuff all the time....

Did somebody hacked this account lol, it started like a marketing news and last couple of months it is suddenly pissing in its own cereal
I suggest we all go to the BMW M 3 / M 4 Forum and troll away with official sounding BMW handles to respond to the barrage of BMW fanboys attacking our Giulia.....The Trojan horse is among us.....Beware.....

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Let's be better than any potential trolls. We are watching for suspicious users and when they violate the rules they'll be banned and their posts deleted so even sadder than the activity, they're also wasting their own time too.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
Often best not to reply to suspected troll posts and just let them sink. And if the troll comes back and bumps them, gotcha!

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Yes a handful of cars have been affected.....lets stop the hysteria. Its old, stale and moldy.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Have you heard the one about the Alfa Q4........

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
256 Posts
well unfortunately, I'm not sure which category you would put me in, but I'm definitely not a troll. I FREAKING LOOOOVE my car!!!! However, seeing that I had to have it towed yesterday, for the second time, I'm starting to not trust it. First time, I had exactly 1000 miles, and it happened while on the way home from daughters post surgery appointment. NOT a good time. Yesterday, while I was driving though the bank's single lane drive through. Again, I had my daughter, full leg cast and crutches, and her friend. It was 103* yesterday. Took 2.5 hours for the tow truck to get there, had to have a friend pick up the girls.

Threw error codes and absolutely would not start. Well, after sitting for two hours, I tried it, started, ran for a few seconds, threw the Start Stop error and died.

Guys, I'm telling you, I truly Love this car, and am glad that most of you aren't having the problems that just a few of us are having, but I'm telling you, when you're the one it's happening to, it's not a lot of fun. Not trying to be paranoid, but I don't trust it now.

Maybe if my dealership seemed to know anything, I might. But they just laughed yesterday and told me they don't have a crystal ball to predict this. I get it, I understand they aren't the ones that built it. However, they are the ones that sold it it me.

I've managed to take pics each time a code it thrown and have attached them.

Edited to add: I, unfortunately, have a car built during the problem era. Dec 2016

Attachments

Reactions: alfa908

·
Registered
547 Posts
well unfortunately, I'm not sure which category you would put me in, but I'm definitely not a troll. I FREAKING LOOOOVE my car!!!! However, seeing that I had to have it towed yesterday, for the second time, I'm starting to not trust it. First time, I had exactly 1000 miles, and it happened while on the way home from daughters post surgery appointment. NOT a good time. Yesterday, while I was driving though the bank's single lane drive through. Again, I had my daughter, full leg cast and crutches, and her friend. It was 103* yesterday. Took 2.5 hours for the tow truck to get there, had to have a friend pick up the girls.

Threw error codes and absolutely would not start. Well, after sitting for two hours, I tried it, started, ran for a few seconds, threw the Start Stop error and died.

Guys, I'm telling you, I truly Love this car, and am glad that most of you aren't having the problems that just a few of us are having, but I'm telling you, when you're the one it's happening to, it's not a lot of fun. Not trying to be paranoid, but I don't trust it now.

Maybe if my dealership seemed to know anything, I might. But they just laughed yesterday and told me they don't have a crystal ball to predict this. I get it, I understand they aren't the ones that built it. However, they are the ones that sold it it me.

I've managed to take pics each time a code it thrown and have attached them.
Have you notified Alfa Care Support yet? You should PM Andrea or Kori on this form and get them involved. Sorry to hear you are having troubles.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Edited to add: I, unfortunately, have a car built during the problem era. Dec 2016
Thanks for including this. I am still curious to see how many problems come up with cars built after the April 2017 TSB date. My theory is that is a key date.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Are you using your left foot to brake by chance?
Nope... just driving normally... what I couldn't believe this time, is my car was actually moving when it stalled. Thankfully, I was going slow.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks for including this. I am still curious to see how many problems come up with cars built after the April 2017 TSB date. My theory is that is a key date.
I agree, Dr Klopek

·
Registered
256 Posts
Have you notified Alfa Care Support yet? You should PM Andrea or Kori on this form and get them involved. Sorry to hear you are having troubles.
Thanks for the advise. After getting absolutely no where with the dealership, I called Alfa. I spoke with a very nice guy and he opened a case for me.

I'm sure they'll take care of it. They don't want this anymore than I do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think all vehicle manufacturers are guilty of this not just Alfa. Worked for GM as a tech for 30 years and most new models had minor and serious issues especially the first year that model came out. I had BMW that had major issues with instrumentation and transmission issues and I also have an Audi S5 that had common issues that you would think they would iron them out. At times manufacturers count pennies and it is more cost efficient to do repairs on a small percentage of vehicles then to retool or redesign a system. Just saying, they are all guilty, no matter what company makes the vehicles..

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is old news. We all know that the 2017s needed a flash update to cure a number of issues, including my QV, delivered in July 2017. Since the flash updates, the car has been flawless with just a tic under 10,000 miles on her. My son's 2018 QV has been flawless after about 3 months of ownership - don't know the mileage on his car.

What I haven't seen is reports of failed engines/trannies/engine components, etc. There were a number of early cars that had some serious tranny problems that were electrically related, but as far as I can tell, its a pretty small number.

My LE 4C had tranny problems similar to those reported in the Giulias in this forum. But Alfa sorted it out with a flash update, and that car has been flawless since, with about 18,000 miles on her now.

No doubt, Alfa blew it by allowing the early models to hit the US market before being sorted out, and the sudden engine stalls at speed and tranny issues were both dangerous and annoying - especially given the initial inability of dealers to fix them. But my experience has been trouble free since the flash updates. Until we see major component failures, I would say the 2018 models and those earlier cars that have been sorted are as reliable as anything out there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts