Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Alfa Romeo’s Giulia Quadrifoglio is recognized by enthusiasts everywhere and rightfully so, but the Giulia Ti may deserve a second look for those who want more bang for their buck.

Equipped with a 505-hp 2.9L V6 bi-turbo engine, the Giulia Quadrifoglio looks pretty tempting with its track-ready suspension, but the starting price tag of $72,000 may not be everyone’s cup of tea.

A base model Giulia in real-wheel-drive form for $38,000 may seem more reasonable in comparison and the Ti upgrade will only tack on an additional $2,000. That’ll give you a set of 18-inch alloy wheels and dark gray oak interior accents, 8.8-inch colour widescreen display and more.

Available to the Ti trim are a variety of packages including both Sport and Lusso appearance packages, the Ti Performance package for $1,200 and the Ti 18-inch Sport Package for an additional $1,750. There’s also an optional Vesuvio Gray exterior ($600) and additional leather interior trim ($995) available.

AutoBlog did the math and “the end result is a net price of $45,535 including applied offers.” Dealerships may also be offering lease specials like the Alfa Romeo dealer they talked to; a $44,000 Giulia could be leased for 39 month at a bit over $500 per month and a down payment of $7,500. At the end of those 39 month, the Giulia will have a residual value of $21,239 and the lease holder has the option of buying it at residual or retuning it to FCA.

·
Registered
59 Posts
$7,500 down and still over $500 per month for a $45k car! That is a joke. FCA better like the Giulia a lot, because they are going to have lots of them gathering dust on their showroom floors. Look, no one knows what the residual value will end up being, but if FCA has so little faith in its own product that they won't even back it up with a decent presumed residual value, then why should we have faith in it. FCA is basically telling us they expect the value of this car to drop like a rock. Encouraging, huh? If you want to compete with Audi, MB and BMW, you have to at least, you know, try to compete with them. Do better Alfa!

·
Registered
223 Posts
$7,500 down and still over $500 per month for a $45k car! That is a joke. FCA better like the Giulia a lot, because they are going to have lots of them gathering dust on their showroom floors. Look, no one knows what the residual value will end up being, but if FCA has so little faith in its own product that they won't even back it up with a decent presumed residual value, then why should we have faith in it. FCA is basically telling us they expect the value of this car to drop like a rock. Encouraging, huh? If you want to compete with Audi, MB and BMW, you have to at least, you know, try to compete with them. Do better Alfa!
That deal presented can be beat if you lease through Ally. For some reason, Ally has some aggressive lease plans for the Alfa Romeo Giulia. Ally can beat FCA right now...and that is unfortunate. I agree, Alfa needs to get a better lease deal in play. It's time to start moving units at a better rate and get some market share established this year.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have to believe that Alfa will get more competitive with lease rates for the Giulia after the summer. $6k down and well over $500 /mo is not competitive with comparable German sedans. Not even close. Example: Mercedes AMG C43 Lease / 36 months / $5100 down / $539 mo. (yeah, yeah, I know this is not a 'true' AMG, but still...)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Right. I've always been a buy person. But when I got into collector cars, pre-owned, cash and appreciation were the main lessons. So now I wonder about leasing and waiting for pre-owned vs. buying new. I keep my cars for life essentially so buying might still be best for me. Pre-owned or new?

I also wonder about the Ti's 280 hp. That is a pretty good number for a turbo I4. Wonder if there is any room for gains left in exhaust, intake and such?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The guys at leasehackr forum have a rule of thumb, a "good" monthly lease payment should be no more than 1% of the MSRP (with tax included) and with zero down. Now, these leasehackr guys take advantage of every incentive and transitory dealer motivations to seek highly unusual deals. They drive what is a good deal at the time, not necessarily what they want to drive. (Deals in the past few months include: Jag F-Types for zero down and $408 per month! Dodge Hellcats for zero down and $500 per month. Maserati Ghibli zero down and $488 per month.)

However, there is plenty of room between a leasehackr approved "good" deal and a "bad" deal -- what I would consider a "fair" deal. A $50k Alfa should cost roughly about as much as a $50k BMW to lease, maybe not the exact amount, but at least in the same ballpark. Right now, they are not even in the same zip code. Alfa does not know what the residual value will end up being for these cars, but assuming it will be so low sends a terrible message. Alfa should assume a residual value consistent with the competing brands until data becomes available. Volume in this segment relies on typical 3-year leases. Alfa will not get volume sales without competitive leases. Why waste a Super Bowl ad on a niche product?

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
343 Posts
And that's why you see more than one 3-series BMW or C-Class Mercedes at every traffic light. Sure they may be cheaper to lease...and that's why everyone has one. There is nothing exclusive anymore about owning a BMW like there was when I was a kid an my parents had a BMW 2002. Hardly anyone had BMW's then, and it was cool. Like the Giulia is now. I'm willing to put more down and have a higher monthly payment for the privileged of driving something a little more exclusive. Something that gets attention. That not everyone else has. If money was the number 1 concern, I'd drive a Ford Fiesta. But I don't think for any of us, where driving Alfa's because they['re bargains. It's the same reason those of you who chose the QV decided to spend upwards of $80-grand on a sedan, that's available for $40,000. Because the QV is cool and rare and faster than anything else. But, hey, for $399 a month you could've had a 3-series.

·
Registered
18 Posts
While there is something to be said for being cool and driving something more exclusive, it is a question of whether it is worth up to a 50% higher lease (eg, $400 vs $600 for that privilege). I doubt if Alfa execs are hoping that their cars remain cool and exclusive, if they are too successful on that front they will be out of their jobs! I have to admit some of the appeal of the Giulia to me is that fact that is not so commonplace as the comparable German vehicles. I looked into a lease but if I do get a Giulia (either Ti or QV) I will probably just buy it and roll the dice on depreciation.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm willing to put more down and have a higher monthly payment for the privileged of driving something a little more exclusive. Something that gets attention. That not everyone else has. If money was the number 1 concern, I'd drive a Ford Fiesta. But I don't think for any of us, where driving Alfa's because they['re bargains. It's the same reason those of you who chose the QV decided to spend upwards of $80-grand on a sedan, that's available for $40,000. Because the QV is cool and rare and faster than anything else. But, hey, for $399 a month you could've had a 3-series.
Listen, I'm with you part of the way there...heck I've owned cars that have depreciated like rocks but I purchased because they were exclusive and had features that I personally desired vs. what the masses desired (which is why I just lease now and let the financing co. take the depreciation hit). The QV is another story - that's a passion purchase that could justify paying 10% more than a class competitor. But a Giulia Ti (at least for me) needs to be more competitive leasing wise. I'm confident rates will come down, especially when Stelvio rolls into show rooms. My brain tells me to get the Stelvio anyway, but my heart tells me to stick with a Giulia.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Great minds

. . . if FCA has so little faith in its own product that they won't even back it up with a decent presumed residual value, then why should we have faith in it?

I was about to write almost this identical response. I've never seen a 46% residual value on a 36 month lease for a "luxury" car. I have been to my local AR dealer twice, and really love the Giulia TI, but these lease deals are insane. I could drive a Jaguar XF for less.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Terrible deal

“the end result is a net price of $45,535 including applied offers.” Dealerships may also be offering lease specials like the Alfa Romeo dealer they talked to; a $44,000 Giulia could be leased for 39 month at a bit over $500 per month and a down payment of $7,500. At the end of those 39 month, the Giulia will have a residual value of $21,239 and the lease holder has the option of buying it at residual or retuning it to FCA.
This is a terrible terrible deal. Who puts down $7,500 on a 3-year lease for a $45,000 car and still pays over $500 per month? Nobody. You would have to be insane to do that lease. I really love the Giulia, but they have to at least be in the ballpark with their lease deals.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Guess I'm insane. I expect the value of the car to be greater than the current estimate at the end of the lease but I will buy for the agreed value. I leased because at the moment AR have a $1,000 lease incentive that I didn't get if I purchased.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Seriously?

Yep, my lease is 500 a month through them with 6k out the door for 49k MSRP for 36 months.
I have never used Ally before. How does it work for leasing? I went to their website and there is no info on the process. I would do something similar to your deal in a heartbeat (with less down and willing to go to a higher monthly). Do you negotiate a lease deal with the dealership first, and then call Ally?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have never used Ally before. How does it work for leasing? I went to their website and there is no info on the process. I would do something similar to your deal in a heartbeat (with less down and willing to go to a higher monthly). Do you negotiate a lease deal with the dealership first, and then call Ally?
Ally is a national auto finance company. Tell the F&I department at your dealership to run the "deal" through Ally before sending off anywhere else. Work the deal with 2k down + first payment + TTL and see what number you get to...and this should be done with a BASE at invoice or a Ti slightly above invoice pricing.

In Texas you can also ask the dealership if they have access to tax credits. I paid almost NO SALES TAX on my car deal due to the availability of tax credits.

·
Registered
223 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hope it works out

Guess I'm insane. I expect the value of the car to be greater than the current estimate at the end of the lease but I will buy for the agreed value. I leased because at the moment AR have a $1,000 lease incentive that I didn't get if I purchased.
I hope it works out for you, because you are taking on ALL the risk in this deal, instead of the manufacturer taking some risk. Assuming you make 39 payments at $500 per month (even though the ad says the payment is over $500), plus your $7,500 upfront payment, plus the $21,239 residual, you will have paid over $48,200 for a $44,000 car. If the resale value turns out to be less than the residual at month 39, you are stuck with that.

But I love the car myself, so I can see why someone would be willing to pay extra for it. I'm just not willing to put that much down on a first year model car no matter how much I love it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Ally is a national auto finance company. Tell the F&I department at your dealership to run the "deal" through Ally before sending off anywhere else. Work the deal with 2k down + first payment + TTL and see what number you get to...and this should be done with a BASE at invoice or a Ti slightly above invoice pricing.

In Texas you can also ask the dealership if they have access to tax credits. I paid almost NO SALES TAX on my car deal due to the availability of tax credits.
Thanks for the tip! My Audi lease expires in June, and the Giulia was my first choice to replace it. But I had reluctantly taken it off my list because the lease terms were ridiculous - literally hundreds more per month than a comparably priced Audi, Jaguar or Infiniti. I'm going to give this a try to see if it is competitive to the others. BTW, Jaguar right now is practically giving away the 2017 XE's bc the 2018's are just hitting the show rooms. They are using a residual value as high as 62% on 36 month leases.

Reactions: FX_Hedge

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes - I looked at the XE "S" myself as an option but the car just feels a bit "unfinished" at this point. The XE needs one year of refinement work and some update to the interior to really get on track.

Reactions: ChiGuy

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have a big Giulia news update to report from Chicago. The largest Alfa Romeo dealer in Chicagoland has just slashed the price of every Giulia on their lot. They are not just discounting a single vehicle to get you in the door. They are offering an across the board, 10% discount on every single car. These are huge numbers, and unlike any prices I have seen. In addition to those discounts, they are doing a $2,250 conquest bonus discount.

I called the dealership, and they told me there are no catches or hidden terms. The discount is real and across the board. If that turns out to be true, I will be driving off the lot in my new Giulia this weekend (fingers crossed).

Check out these prices!
http://www.alfaromeousaofevanston.c...a&gvBodyStyle=Sedan&sortBy=internetPrice+desc&

Reactions: Vailoce
1 - 20 of 45 Posts