Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Track times can vary depending on the driver, weather condition and the track itself. The Fast Lane Car took an Alfa Romeo Giulia QV to IMI Motorsports and the results may surprise a few of you.

Alfa Romeo’s newest sedan is by no means a slacker, with a Ferrari-derived 2.9-liter twin-turbo V-6 engine under its hood. All 505 ponies and 443 lb-ft of torque are sent to its rear wheels via an eight-speed automatic transmission, enabling it to sprint from 0-60 mph in just 3.8 seconds before hitting a maximum speed of 191 mph (307 km/h).

Tackling corners is where the Giulia QV truly shines as indicated by its Nürburgring lap time of 7 minutes and 32 seconds, making it the fastest production sedan to take on the infamous track. In this case, it clocked in at an impressive 1:04.45 minutes. Not a bad time at all, but what’s surprising is the other models that posted even faster times on the TFL leaderboards.

One of them being a beefy 5,185 lbs BMW X6 M with a time of 1:04.37 minutes. The twin-turbo 4.4-liter V8 engine may be cranking out more power at 567 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque, but that’s still a lot of weight to move around a track.

Then there’s the Ford Focus RS with a time of 1:04.09 minutes. It may be a hot hatch, but the 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine’s output of 350 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque is significantly less than the Giulia QV.

Let us know what you think of these leaderboard times below.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Interesting...

Generally, I think Nurburgring times are a terrible way to determine a car's performance, since the track is a living, breathing animal in itself. 'Ring times are more of a showcase of how amazing the drivers are.

With that said, their scientific method of using a cellphone for the lap times is questionable. I'm not surprised if the FoRS does turn some quick times, since it's AWD, and a pretty responsive turbo.

ultimately, I'd wait until Motor Trend does their best driver's car test. Least their methods are more stringent and repeatable -- plus they do it at Laguna, where the track has a mixture of high speed turns and low speed turns.

·
Registered
150 Posts
^^ driver cannot drive.
On first glance I would say so, but isn't that Paul Gerrard?

Don't know how long he had to learn the car before putting down a lap. This could be more an indication of how difficult a car is to drive at 10/10 than an indication of how fast a car is.

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
I wouldn't read too much into the lap times; IMI is just a few miles East of us.

What they are not telling you is that it is literally a go-cart track. I know some people use it for testing purposes (shakedowns, suspension testing, etc.) but it's not really a track that is made for cars.

·
Registered
51 Posts
TFL times are useless. Give us Quattroruote times.

Alfa Romeo Giulia QV AT8 1:15.92 510 / 1794
BMW M3 30 Jahre 1:16:34 450 / 1752
Ferrari California T 1:16.70 560 / 1799
Alfa Romeo Giulia QV MT6 1:16.89 510 / 1704
Jaguar F-type R AWD 1:17.06 550 / 1730
BMW M4 1:17.45 431 / 1545
Ford Focus RS 1:19.50 350 / 1567
Mercedes-AMG C63S 1:19.72 510 / 1897
Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0T Q4 Veloce 1:23.35 280 / 1693
Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2.0T Q4 Super 1:23.73 280 / 1875
Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2.2 JTD Q4 Super 1:23.49 210 / 1876
Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.2 JTD Q4 Veloce 1:24.50 210 / 1707
Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0T Q2 Super 1:24.80 200 / 1679
Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.2 JTD Super 1:26.16 180 / 1534
Jaguar F-Pace 2.0D AWD Portfolio 1:29.40 180 / 2033

·
Registered
580 Posts
As Joe pointed out, running fast cars on a GO KART track really doesn't show what they can do. If you choose a small enough track you can heavily bias the results towards the slower cars.

The Focus RS isn't anywhere near the Giulia QV. We tune both and are very familiar with them. The RS is an awesome car and in tuned form it can sort of keep us with a STOCK Giulia Q, but not quite. Stock vs Stock, or tuned vs. tuned, on any real track with equal drivers, the Giulia will clobber it.

Of course there are some situations where the RS could have an advantage with it's all wheel drive system, primarily at lower speeds, or slippery conditions.

Greg

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
unknown tire differences aside, the quattroroute times make sense - unless you don't think stelvio's or Q4's handle very well.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Wow....site looks completely different....haven't logged in for a while now....Sorry for the extraneous post....D

·
Registered
76 Posts
I cannot believe this is actually a video... I'm not shocked that IMI would let them do this. It's hands down the sketchiest track in CO. Also, they posted another video using the back straight at IMI for a drag race (if you can call it that). It looks like they are a bunch of ass clowns that are trying to dodge accurate results and cheap on on real tracks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.