Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

ALFA ROMEO GIULIA QV EXHAUST MODIFICATION (RACE MODE ACTIVE)

RMA - MOD

The 2017+ Giulia QV utilizes a solenoid/vacuum controlled exhaust valves that allows the center (2) exhaust exits to become active allowing for a more efficient and more aggressive exhaust note. These (2) center exhaust exits becomes active in stock form when "Race Mode" is selected.
In order to always have this "Race Mode" option would require software changes in the body control module or by directly unplugging the solenoid which may cause a check engine light to become illuminated. The final option is to modify the system mechanically. Due to the fact that this is performed behind the the solenoid will keep the Body Control Module diagnostics in the dark. These instructions allow you to perform this simple operation that is 100% CEL free and fully reversible.

Tools Required:

Small Flat Tip Screw Driver

Parts Required:

1/4 Vacuum Plug OR 1/4 Small Vacuum Valve
(2) Zipties

Difficulty:

1/5 (1=Oil Change)(5=Engine Rebuild)

Vacuum Line Removal:

Locate (3) Push pins at Rear Wheel Liner (Located Rear Bumper Cover)

Using Small Flat-tip Screw Driver Remove Center portion of push pin and pull up.

Remove Push Pin (3)

Fold Back Liner

Located Silicone Line Attached to Valve Located On Exhaust

Carefully Pull Off line attached to Exhaust Valve

Vacuum Line Storage:

Insert 1/4 Vacuum plug OR 1/4 Vacuum Valve into Vacuum Line (Ensure Vacuum valve is in closed Position)

Zip-tie Vacuum Line or secure Vacuum Line to Nearby Bracket.
(This procedure must be completed to both sides of the Exhaust, as both sides have individual Valves)

Additional Vacuum Line Options:

**An additional step you can take is to attach a small 1/4 hose (We suggest Silicone due to the exhaust temps) to the other side of the Vacuum Valve and reconnect this to the exhaust valve. This will allow you to place the system into standard operation with a turn of a knob.**

NOTES:
As an alternative if you are not as limber you can drop the rear diffuser and perform this install that way as well.
Additionally these small 1/4 valves can be located at your local hardware store in the sprinkler/landscaping section.

https://shopeurocompulsion.net/blog...ulia-qv-exhaust-modification-race-mode-active

That's it you are all finished, enjoy!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ohhhhhhh darn, if I knew about this earlier I might have just done it myself, lol. Well I'm have a exhaust developed for the QV, so we will see how that goes.

BTW....good job Chris...as always!

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
576 Posts
Nice work, Chris! Just an idea, but why don't you "productize" the parts needed by selling them as an inexpensive kit to make a few bucks ($40-50) for sharing the info. Later many people will likely upgrade an exhaust through you anyway, but this is a good stop gap until hardware options are available.

SO basically, it's the same as the AMG and old BMW golf tee trick. Glad somebody with a lift was able to test it out. Really wish Alfa had programmed the capability into the car the way Maserati did. Might be nice to have the option of easily flipping it back and forth right from the Infotainment Screen under the car Settings Section.

Note to Alfa...please add this capability with the next software update in addition to adding more many radio presets!!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Just ordered to parts from Amazon for about $40. Have done this mod before on some prior cars, so shouldn't be too bad...albeit without a lift! :-(

Do the valves reset to full open when off/parked, meaning when doing the mod, or do you need to place car into Race mode just prior to doing it? I think my old AMG or BMW gave you a few mins before valves closed in prep of the next closed cold start.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work, Chris! Just an idea, but why don't you "productize" the parts needed by selling them as an inexpensive kit to make a few bucks ($40-50) for sharing the info. Later many people will likely upgrade an exhaust through you anyway, but this is a good stop gap until hardware options are available.

SO basically, it's the same as the AMG and old BMW golf tee trick. Glad somebody with a lift was able to test it out. Really wish Alfa had programmed the capability into the car the way Maserati did. Might be nice to have the option of easily flipping it back and forth right from the Infotainment Screen under the car Settings Section.

Note to Alfa...please add this capability with the next software update in addition to adding more many radio presets!!
The parts are inexpensive enough, the little valves (Sprinkler Section) you can pick up at Lowes for about $8 for a pack of 10 (IIRC) and you need a short length of silicone hose.

You do not even need to jack up the car, you can sneak your hand up and pull the hose right off the valve once you fold up the felt liner a bit. The system works off of vacuum so when the car is off the valves will be open. Easy Peasy!!

So as we wait for some better flowing cat back exhaust systems this will hold everyone over a bit. The system in its stock form is really not to bad at all, you have essentially a 2.5 system for each 1.45L of displacement. Not bad at all.

Thanks for all the kind words!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Totally agree. Seems like pretty beefy piping given the engine size. Was looking under the car a few mins ago. Much harder without a lift, but not insurmountsble. My friend has a lift in his garage, so a 6 pack ought to buy enough lift time to get her done.

BTW...the suspension seems pretty heavy duty. Impressive. However, the colossal waste of space explains why the trunk is so tiny. Unless the voids are vital to airflow, seems like Alfa could have better utilized the huge voids like on the M3. Either way, seems pretty heavy duty!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey guys,
I performed this modification over a week ago and this is what I've observed:

Cold engine starts will exhibit a louder/deeper exhaust tone, however after about 20-30 secs after the engine has had time to warm up, the tone reverts back from loud to normal and stays there no matter what RDNA mode I put it in. I'm going to either try opening the valves or put things back to stock if I can't get the Race mode exhaust to work full time.

·
Registered
30 Posts
What's the latest on this mod? It seems like it doesn't work based off last response or am I mistaken?

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Essentially you can leave the exhaust valves unplugged but you will need plug the vacuum lines. That's what the valves are for. What Phongn is experience is a cold start. The valves do NOT revert back to closed position if the vacuum lines are closed or disconnected, they will remain open.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The hardware fix does work, and it will be a good option for some (perhaps we can create a kit with a remote controlled valve for ease of use).

However, for those interested in ECU tuning, we have an optional feature that will come with the ECU calibration that disables this electronically.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I recently did this to my Quadrifoglio yesterday..... It sounds amazing MOST of the time.... but.... if you're not romping on it, it just sounds like a crappy honda the way it shifts so slow when you're not accelerating hard. This annoys me. I've decided to put it back to stock and enjoy it in dynamic mode or race mode when it sounds the best under quick shifts. Also, i feel like the fuel mileage plummeted once i did this, could be from giving it some extra gas everywhere though. lol

And if you do this mod, do both sides. i don't think i've read anywhere in this post about doing both lines.

·
Registered
196 Posts
The hardware fix does work, and it will be a good option for some (perhaps we can create a kit with a remote controlled valve for ease of use).

However, for those interested in ECU tuning, we have an optional feature that will come with the ECU calibration that disables this electronically.
any update on the release date for the ECU tune?

·
Registered
641 Posts
I posted this in another part of the forum. There is a shop in AZ that's close to perfecting a controller to switch the flaps to fully open during any driving mode. See below.

Hello Simon,

I am testing the controller on two Guilia’s at this time. The first test (from an owner in the Netherlands) has come back with positive results. I made a minor adjustment to the controller configuration and am conducted a second test (with an owner in the USA), that should have results within 2 weeks or so.

Preliminary results is that the controller will only be able to provide two modes of operation …
1. Normal (the car’s ECU controls the exhaust flap valves just it does now)
2. Always Open … you will have ability to open force the flapper valves open at all times.

The controller has the ability for a third function … Always Closed … however, in the first test when this option was enabled, the sensors in the exhaust detected too much back pressure when in RACE mode, forced an immediate Check Engine Light warning. This only occurred in RACE mode. In the second test, the Always Closed option is disabled and a different car is used for this evaluation. I am fairly confident that the second level of testing will be successful.

In summary, it is likely that for the Guilia, only two modes will be enabled (Normal and Open). This should not be a problem because when you want to have the valves closed, switching to normal mode and reducing the engine RPM will cross the threshold where the ECU will close the valves. Normally, you would want this when going fairly slow anyway.

The only disadvantage is that the Always Closed option has been a desirable option for people who track their cars at venues that limit the sound level. It is appearing that for the Guilia, I won’t be able to offer this option as the car’s sensors don’t seem to like it. Throwing a Check Engine Light will not be option for most owners. But, with the Always Open option, you will have the option to keep the valves open for that throaty exhaust note at low or high engine RPM levels.

I will notify you when I have the product ready for sale.

Kind regards,

Steve Bisel

[email protected]
480 227 3474

Forza Componenti darkdragon2-150x171
13271 E Del Timbre Drive, Scottsdale, AZ 85259
www.forzacomponenti.com

1 - 20 of 50 Posts