Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So that 11.7 seconds and 120mph @2,350 elevation with a 2,300 altitude correction my time and speed would be would be 11.51 seconds and 122.32 mph.

Could've gone faster but my 300 hardness street tires were hard to hook up. You can hear all the bouncing and slipping at the launch.

I did about 8 runs that night. But this 11.7 and 120mph was the best hook up I had. I had lowered the pressure in my rear tires to about 23 PSI and I tried letting even more air pressure out but I didn't do anything

The whole problem was hook up. I even tried a big burn out but that was slower in that 12.3 time. And I got about that same time the one time I ran in dynamic mode also so it was slower then race mode which I ran all other runs in.

With softer tires or a better hook up I could've done at least 11.5 I'm sure. With a perfect hook up I think the car could might even do in the 10s. But that would probably take drag radials. But like I said with and altitude correction I did do an 11.5 run so I was quite happy with the night. The only way I'll go faster is if I go on a hotter day or change my tires.

I have 305 width tires in rears but they're just not sticky enough when the weather is in the mid 50s towards the end of the night. The tires get less traction and the cold air makes the car even more powerful so it just slips even more.

Without a launch mode it's a bit tricky to get this car to launch properly. Basically you load it up to about 2000 RPM at the last minute before the light changes otherwise your tires start bouncing and spinning. He wanted just a little spin but it's tricky when you have about 625 HP and 300 hardness tires.

I took second place in the fastest streetcar category. Lost by about .4 seconds. I should have won first place as my best time 11.7 time was at least a half a second faster than the other car that beat me ever ran. But my fast time was in the preliminary rounds. In the contest he beat me because his hook up with drag radials was a huge advantage. My car was a lot faster than his I just had no hook up. Here's a picture of the car that won but doesn't look like it's very much a street car to me!! His best time was 12.4

Everyone was amazed with the car and just kept saying how beautiful it was. So at least I won that award!
https://youtu.be/VxPzTkqPJcw

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's awesome! Plan on buying slicks?
Probably will but the type for road course tracking only.
From what I know drag racing radios need some sidewall height to work properly. This car has such large rear brakes that I'm not sure you could get a drag racing slick tire that would work good.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,153 Posts
From what I know drag racing radios need some sidewall height to work properly. This car has such large rear brakes that I'm not sure you could get a drag racing slick tire that would work good.
Its a drag race, who need brakes?:grin2:

I believe that drag tires are designed to distort grossly on launch. This allows them to get unbelievable traction for a short while. They have to run low pressure and tall, rather unstable sidewalls to make it work. Have a look at the Dodge Challenger Demon launch video, which includes a clip of massive distortion of the tires just before the car wheelies. See the end of this 16 second clip:

http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/videos/4160/2018-dodge-challenger-srt-demon-'multiplication'/

Even if you could get such tires to fit while the car was standing still, drag tires expand in diameter substantially as the car picks up speed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you have mods that you say 625hp? I ran stock tires, no mods at 11.8 @120 but the elevation is 75ft and the DA was about 1000. Raceway Park, Englishtown NJ.
Same as you I held to 2000rpms and let it rip.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a drag race, who need brakes?

I believe that drag tires are designed to distort grossly on launch. This allows them to get unbelievable traction for a short while. They have to run low pressure and tall, rather unstable sidewalls to make it work. Have a look at the Dodge Challenger Demon launch video, which includes a clip of massive distortion of the tires just before the car wheelies. See the end of this 16 second clip:

http://www.guideautoweb.com/en/videos/4160/2018-dodge-challenger-srt-demon-'multiplication'/

Even if you could get such tires to fit while the car was standing still, drag tires expand in diameter substantially as the car picks up speed.
I think you?re talking about ripple wall slicks. That?s what we used to call them. Yeah they give massive hook up but they?re not made for turns at all there strictly for the drag-strip.

I was thinking of the newer type of drag radial as you say would be difficult if not impossible to find for the car. Mostly because as you said they need a lot of side wall height and I couldn?t put smaller rims on the car because of the huge brakes.

I still have my stock 285 width Pirelli tires they are supersoft and I put those on and see what will happen. It would be nice to get a good launch and see with the car will do but I think I just have too much power. Softer tires is about all I can try.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you have mods that you say 625hp? I ran stock tires, no mods at 11.8 @120 but the elevation is 75ft and the DA was about 1000. Raceway Park, Englishtown NJ.
Understand all that extra power doesn?t do much to increase quarter-mile drag strip times unless you can get the traction (hook-up) to actually use it. In fact the launch is even worse because you have to contend with trying to put more power down without spinning tires wildly. If it was a 1/2 mile run or longer the time difference between our cars would be a whole lot more.

Or if I could get better hook up then also the time difference between our cars would be a lot more

And the higher the elevation the slower your car will run, it?s just physics. That?s why the national drag racing association has fixed charts that show what time and speed you deduct if your car is running out at dragstrip that has higher elevation versus one that is lower. That?s why we ran almost the same time but my car was actually faster than yours with the adjustment.

A 75 foot elevation dragstrip like you have is almost sea level and ideal. It will give you the best times.

The temperature outside also affects how fast cars go slightly. Colder temperatures get faster times. But at a certain point the coldness of the asphalt affects the hook up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dude I understand racing, I’ve been doing it for a long time. That’s why I knew the data for the day I raced, it all plays a part.
I asked if you had mods? Are you running an exhaust or tune? I would like to know since I would like to do a couple of things as well.
The stock tires are really sticky tires since it seems they run a dual compound on the outside vs the inside when warmed up hold pretty well.
Do you have a lag off the line or is that corrected from a tune? Just getting rid of the lag from a dig would yield way better results.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
From what i’ve read, he has a custom, yet to be release tune for the Q. The numbers are very hypothetical as there was no way of successfully dynoying the car back when he got the tune. EC just recently got the first dyno in NA that allows the Q run successfully but i don’t think he has put his Q on a dyno yet. Achieving over 600 hp to the crank is a feat. I read of an European tunner who was the first to crack 600 hp but he blew the engine after a few runs. So I am very skeptical when these types of numbers are thrown out without some serious mods to the engine internals to withstand the additional boost so it does not implode. Hopefully there is a dyno sheet confirming his claims. But i have no doubt his car is fast!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok cool, that’s all I wanted to understand. I have seen Celtic Tuning and Pogae Racing have tunes and exhaust systems for our QV. Pogae Racing actually just designed a carbon fiber rear diffuser which they have going for about 4k euro.
Can’t wait to load up a tune and play with some cars around me.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
From what i’ve read, he has a custom, yet to be release tune for the Q. The numbers are very hypothetical as there was no way of successfully dynoying the car back when he got the tune. EC just recently got the first dyno in NA that allows the Q run successfully but i don’t think he has put his Q on a dyno yet. Achieving over 600 hp to the crank is a feat. I read of an European tunner who was the first to crack 600 hp but he blew the engine after a few runs. So I am very skeptical when these types of numbers are thrown out without some serious mods to the engine internals to withstand the additional boost so it does not implode. Hopefully there is a dyno sheet confirming his claims. But i have no doubt his car is fast!
The numbers were not quite hypothetical, they were measured in a different manner. We saw numbers between 550WHP and 560WHP with our calibration on the road. With a fairly conservative drive-train loss of 10% we estimated between 615-625hp. I will say, to reach over 600hp(crank) no internal modifications are required. The modern engines utilized by AR are far more capable of producing quite a bit of power over the factory numbers without issues or impacts to reliability. I wont comment or speculate on the "other" tuner as its in poor taste.

We have calibrations completed for both the 2.0L and 2.9L but will not release until tested on our chassis dyno. Its a new standard we are sticking too. Comparisons of previously stated numbers utilizing the previous method vs the chassis dyno are showing a tolerance of (+-)2-4%.

We will have information on all of this will be available shortly.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
FYI and sorry if I didn?t answer someone?s question I didn?t quite understand the post.
Here?s my mods and what I estimate HP is:
Alfa Giulia QV power
Stock 505hp
EC ECU tune 615hp
B&M airfilter +7hp
Remus exhaust 13hp
Total 625hp

And my butt dyno tells me it?s pretty close to that. Very pleased with the tune, air filter and exhaust. Car is crazy fun to drive.

And yes the EC tune gets rid of the throttle delay quite a bit!

I think it looks better than Mercedes AMG S class and it?s quite a bit lighter and faster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Looking forward to hearing on how I can get my hands on a tune :)
Do you have any ideas on where the torque ratings would be with the tune?
And yes the off the line throttle lag just itself kills the potential this car has.
And I couldn’t agree more on how it looks, italians know how to design :)

Can I ask what’s your shop name and where you guys located?

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking forward to hearing on how I can get my hands on a tune :)
Do you have any ideas on where the torque ratings would be with the tune?
And yes the off the line throttle lag just itself kills the potential this car has.
And I couldn’t agree more on how it looks, italians know how to design :)

Can I ask what’s your shop name and where you guys located?
Just contact EuroCompulson and they will tell you about their tune and your choices. Really impressed with their products.
http://eurocompulsion.net

To answer your question about torque I?m told 450wtq/ 490tq but feels like more. Of course with an air filter and exhaust you have even more.

I don?t own race shop I just have a local one I support that does quite a bit of work on my cars. They?re very good and also do welding and exhaust fabrications. They race cars also so they really understand our needs. They are located in Spokane Washington. Advanced Auto Fabrication
http://advancedautofab.com/

I posted this earlier in a different post under my Remus exhaust post. I will include it here so you can see what kind of power this tune give you.
https://youtu.be/h-8PWb1J0E8

EuroCompulson also tuned my 4C also and do a really great job. And Advanced Auto Fab did the amazing exhaust on it as you can hear it?s quite loud and powerful. These companies did such a good job on my 4C that just yesterday I was able to keep up with my friends 1,000 hp Katech Corvette. And on a pretty wide-open fast track! And in this same video there?s several 650 HP cars getting bested by my little 4C.
https://youtu.be/4h66NyUWWv0

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks man, I will look into them and check it out. Can’t wait to see more of these on the road destroying the competition.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts