Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So had a fun day at ORP today. Met up with my friend from Canada that I met at the Porsche driving school.
He has a nice 911 Carrera S and we had all kinds of fun playing tag.

Put it in dynamic about it first but it was wearing out the back tires this time! Traction control really wears out tires on this heavier car. So off to Race mode already! What a nice difference had so much fun!! Not sure if you can tell from the video but going up that hill I'm sliding the whole way.
Actually matched my best time in my modded 4C.

The Giulia only has .5 negative camber that really holds it back. I'm going to get some good negative camber on the front and back of the car will be a real beast!

But the 4C will definitely be faster when I'm done with it when I have around 400hp in it. 4C is so fast through turns nothing will be close.

4C is so raw!! Giulia is supersonic GT.
Night and day difference driving them but both cars are awesome.

Here is a video:
Playing tag with my friend in the Porsche 911 Carrera S. I'm breaking in the new girl... race mode yeahaw! **** this girl is fast! Only the stock .5 negative camber now! With an alignment will be crazy fast.

https://youtu.be/oMqaqYtAWNM

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Tell us about your 4C mods!

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Thanks for the Video

@Call me Al,
interesting track fro certain...looks like someone's personal playground carved out of rolling hills...lots of elevation changes...and transitions!...very cool indeed...when you blew past the start/finish I didn't see much in the way of garage area, staging, paddock...is this an older track? or private?
Still for an almost 2 ton sedan she hustled around the track really well...the 911 was in its element, I believe that if that track offered you a leg where you could wind out the Alfa you would have closed the gap faster for certain...nice run! How did your brakes hold up? when I had mine to the track last month they were really stellar, and frankly i was not expecting them to be....I agree with you on the tires, I never took it out of Dynamic because it was my first time out on the track with it and this track is unforgiving to over confident drivers, so my rears are going to have to be changed really soon or before I go on the track again...was this your first time at the track with it??..how did you like the steering? the chassis??
Thanks!
M

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad everyone likes the videos! Yes I have become quite the tracker but more than that lately, tire slayer!

Here's a pretty good one.

Having fun with good drivers and nice cars. Need more negative camber only have -.5 now! I slow down and wait for cars from about 4:40-6:40 timeframe so you might fast forward through that but then it gets real hot against a Porsche 911GT3 and a 650hp Camero ZS1. Both of these cars had Hoosier racing slicks on. But I keep up!
https://youtu.be/Vtbpl1iluNA

And here's another short one against a very very hot track only Porsche 911. You can only see the car at the very beginning of the video but it's full out, racing slicks, 110 octane fuel and full aero and very loud.
He's a very good driver so I couldn't keep up but still hung a bit with him.
https://youtu.be/Vtbpl1iluNA

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SWEET! That really looks like that track keeps you busy. Lap times were pretty darned consistant, how hard were you pushing it?
Thanks for posting!!!
Yes ORP ( Oregon Raceway Park) truly is unique and amazing for a few reasons:
Over 400 feet of elevation each lap.
16 turns, none seem to be flat.
Has a part called the half pipe that is like a roller coaster hand really fun.
Track is designed to run both ways with each direction giving a totally different experience. They run it clockwise one day then counterclockwise the other. The member days are usually two or three days in a row.

If you get a chance to visit it I'd highly recommend it it's supposed to be one of the most technical tracks around.

How hard? Really hard. I made the mistake of leaving the car in dynamic mode about half a day driving really hard and it ate up the rear tires quite a bit. Then the rest of the two days he was in race mode and a car was amazing and the rear tires were doing much better. The damage was done so I decided to push it extremely hard and get some practice making corrections from in the back and would swing out. I know it's not the fastest way around the track but it does help you learn quick corrections while driving hard. Only way better than that is driving with racing slicks on a rainy day, That is such a great experience!

Only had the car just over a week so we're still getting used to it. But by the end of the first day I had pretty much had it figured out. But without any negative camber it was real hard on the tires. When you're going clockwise there is a downhill off camber turn that was brutal! I must say it was amazing how much power this V6 put out. Really hard to keep the wheels from spinning at times.

Glad you enjoyed it I like watching other people's tracking videos too.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh my! There so much!! Here's kind of a running list but I think I've done more. My 4C it's a real beast at the track keeps up or beats most every car at the track unless it's a really open high-speed track then the straightaways hurt a bit. But working on some more power then it should be complete next Spring.

So great track car but also pretty decent daily driver. May be a tad harsh ride! Ha ha they're really not that bad.
Mods:
Performance:
Euro Compulsion v2 computer
Euro Compulsion v2 Air filter
Custom 3" diameter downpipe.
Cat replaced with 200 cell high flow cat and relocated farther away from turbo.
Custom 3" diameter throughout free flow center exhaust system.
Bilstein coil over kit with Eibach springs
Jamie's racing suspension blocks with alignment giving -2° camber.
Sector 111 oversized adjustable sway bars front and rear set at full strength.
Sector 111 adjustable sway bar endlinks
Sector 111 ultra disc racing brake rotors.
Ferodo DS1.11 front racing brake pads.
Ferodo DS2500 rear track brake pads.
Stainless steel brake lines.
AP Super 600 Racing Brake Fluid.
Custom racing harnesses.
Front wishbone bearings replaced with Jamie's performance bearings.
Rear wishbone bushings upgraded to custom Delrin bushings.
Rear deck lid duckbill spoiler.
Titanium lug nuts and lug stud conversion.
Advan ll 17 x 8.5" square wheel setup.
Toyo Proxes R888 245/40/17 square tire set up.

Amenities:
Custom storage boxes and glove box.
Custom upgraded 6.5" stereo speakers, 230 watt amp and 8 inch subwoofer in custom enclosure
Custom rear view mirror with auto-diming, home link and built in radar laser detector.
VBOX HD2 laptiming system

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Call me Al,
interesting track fro certain...looks like someone's personal playground carved out of rolling hills...lots of elevation changes...and transitions!...very cool indeed...when you blew past the start/finish I didn't see much in the way of garage area, staging, paddock...is this an older track? or private?
Still for an almost 2 ton sedan she hustled around the track really well...the 911 was in its element, I believe that if that track offered you a leg where you could wind out the Alfa you would have closed the gap faster for certain...nice run! How did your brakes hold up? when I had mine to the track last month they were really stellar, and frankly i was not expecting them to be....I agree with you on the tires, I never took it out of Dynamic because it was my first time out on the track with it and this track is unforgiving to over confident drivers, so my rears are going to have to be changed really soon or before I go on the track again...was this your first time at the track with it??..how did you like the steering? the chassis??
Thanks!
M
No problem glad you enjoyed it. I enjoy watching other peoples tracking videos too.

Yes ORP is amazing in my earlier post in this thread I list some unique and great things about it.

The CCB were amazing on my car! They held up really well and didn't get too hot although I made sure I did nice cooldown laps. My friend in the teal colored 911 wore out his front brake pads in the 2 days. I wore out my rear tires. We're friends but we don't see each other much and so we really went out it hard. It was a blast. A bit too expensive for an out the tires that quick but when I get some camber on the car and don't drive so hard I can still have a great time and yet it be reasonable on consumables.

Something I found out is that if you drive really really hard like I was in dynamic mode it will wear are your tires quite a bit. I hate to tell anybody to track in Race mode without any traction control until they're at that skill level and ready to be able to make really like me fast corrections if need be, so you certainly don't need to do it to still have great fun. But if you get to the point where you're driving really really hard, race mode will be a lot easier on your car and it will save your tires and brakes quite a bit. But only if you're driving really hard. But a great thing about dynamic mode it can and will save you from spinning out if you are not ready for that level of driving, so by all means stay in it until you're ready.

Really the best way to get up to driving comfortable in race mode is to do it on a rainy day at slow speeds you practice the same corrections and get really fast reflexes but at much slower more controllable speeds. Also if you have a track like ORP that has really good run off that really helps just make sure if you go off track you go straight and don't go off sideways. No I really shy away from talking about any safety issues cause there's a whack a doodle bully on this forum and the 4C forum that just loves to criticize my driving, insult my local track and the track safety and courseworkers and anybody else that doesn't do things the way he thinks it should be done. So don't be surprised if you get an earful from him telling you i'm saying things wrong, driving wrong and that you're in big danger. He kind of ruins good things.

This was really the second time on the track. I went once before but it was stuck in natural mode because the dealership needed to order a part so it really wasn't that much fun. But the second and third time on the track was amazing! Everyone there loved the looks of the car how fast it was how powerful it was for a small liter motor and a lot more.

And you picked it yes that steering is stellar!! Turn in is amazing when I test drove the car I couldn't believe how tight it was. I had to spend over thousand dollars in mods changing my rubber bushings to Delrin material on my 4C to get that tight of a rack. Truly astonishing.

Also amazing is that adaptive suspension, as you can go from a super comfortable quiet car ride to a beast car that handles extremely well on the track without any mods, very impressive Alfa!

only thing I'm going to do to the car is add some negative camber to both the front and rear. No easy way to do that how's the stock parts only allow -.5 camber. But I have a race shop I take my car to and they've already said you can shim up the bottom to get negative camber. I'm taking my car in this Friday and they will look at it I'll share when I find with this forum to help.

FYI I have a thread up about how I put oversized tires on the car and they worked out great. I was able to go 20 mm wider both front and back and still keep the car tire height about the same only .5" taller without any rubbing.

With some good negative camber this car would be absolutely amazing at the track. Another mod I may do is the EC (Eurocompulson) ECU computer mod they have. Supposed to give you approximately another 95 horsepower. OMG can you imagine this car on the track with 600 hp and good negative camber!! Wow!! The golden age of horsepower!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FYI just came from my race shop put a new set of tires:
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (300 hardness)
Ft 265/35/19 rear 26.3" tall (+.5")
Rear 305/30/19 26.3" tall (+.5")
Race shop owner looked at the Giulia closely and sadly there's no easy way to get negative camber on this car. Would either have to modify a control arm or make a new part. They do things like this often but I'm going to hold off. Maybe a winter project.

I track often but it's with the 4C so If I track the Giulia again it will be much milder. That extra 10% that makes your car really fast has exponential wear on your tires and brakes. It's really more of a GT car anyway. Or heck maybe fun at the dragstrip!

But good news on my CCB brakes the fronts are only worn about 40% and rears about 25% so for over 600 miles of hard tracking that's not bad. And the rotors are great. I'm really thinking this CCB brake option was a good choice. And they sure look great and are a conversation piece.

So I'm through blowing through tires, ha ha went through two sets in 1100 miles!! But I sure had a lot of fun!! Blowing up a lot of those Porsche 911's and a bunch of other great cars was a lot of fun! And the teal colored 911 in the video with the great driver, I was actually faster than him at the beginning when my tires were fresh and he had fresh tires too so it was equal tires then. But for some reason my tires broke down badly and lost lap time, a lot about 4-5 seconds. His tires lost time too but only about 2-3 seconds. He was driving extremely hard too but his car is about 400 pounds less than mine so that is probably why.

But going to tires like that is very expensive so now it's time to be reasonable.
I'm really thinking this 300 hardness Michelin Pilot Sport 4S is going to be a good choice for this car.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Which "other site" are you guys talking about?

These exchanges are becoming quite entertaining, but are they really necessary?

Best to both of you!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, I have seen your 4C at the shop. You should post a couple of photos. Just doing a walk around gave me perma-grin!! WHAT A FUN CAR!! Not sure I'd be brave enough to drive it anywhere close to flat out, though.
Oh good something fun to talk about.

Yes the 4C is an amazing fun car. So crazy that after 20 years this is the first car Alfa brings! I mean the car comes with a carbon fiber tub and doesn't even have a glove box! Ha ha!

And the Giulia models are so awesome too. Just today the manager of a car stereo shop saw my car and freaked. He said the photos and videos didn't do it justice to how beautiful the body lines are. And the ride and the interior such nice cars!

So you are in Spokane?! Wow let's do cars and coffee. Or this Saturday, July 8 you can come to Spokane County Raceway they have a test and tune I'm going to have my 4C there. And I can take you for ride if you want they allow passengers. Cost you $12 to get in but it'll be worth it for the ride and also to look at all the cool cars and bikes ripping around the track. Starts at 8am and ends at 2pm. Also I'll be bringing my new brand new trailer that has a observation deck on top it will be fun to watch the cars from up there

One of the best things about the 4C is it a lightweight mid engine car that's easy on consumables when you track it hard.

Here's a few photos. And on YouTube I have lots of tracking videos.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yep, Liberty Lake. We'll definitely have to get together. I need to get you the info for the Italian Car Club here - they would love to see your stable of Alfas!
I'll try to make that track day on Saturday. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Oh good something fun to talk about.

Yes the 4C is an amazing fun car. So crazy that after 20 years this is the first car Alfa brings! I mean the car comes with a carbon fiber tub and doesn't even have a glove box! Ha ha!

And the Giulia models are so awesome too. Just today the manager of a car stereo shop saw my car and freaked. He said the photos and videos didn't do it justice to how beautiful the body lines are. And the ride and the interior such nice cars!

So you are in Spokane?! Wow let's do cars and coffee. Or this Saturday, July 8 you can come to Spokane County Raceway they have a test and tune I'm going to have my 4C there. And I can take you for ride if you want they allow passengers. Cost you $12 to get in but it'll be worth it for the ride and also to look at all the cool cars and bikes ripping around the track. Starts at 8am and ends at 2pm. Also I'll be bringing my new brand new trailer that has a observation deck on top it will be fun to watch the cars from up there

One of the best things about the 4C is it a lightweight mid engine car that's easy on consumables when you track it hard.

Here's a few photos. And on YouTube I have lots of tracking videos.

Al - I'm concerned you are not spending enough on this hobby :))) And you don't smile enough in your photos :)))

1 - 20 of 34 Posts