Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

MotorTend thought the Giulia lease deal Alfa Romeo was offering buyers a few months ago was a winner, at $399 a month for 36-months seemed like a great offer until now. The automaker managed to outdo themselves and cut down the Giulia lease payments to just $299 a month for 24 months with a $3,299 down payment up front.

Some may wonder what Alfa Romeo is thinking and how they can afford such low pricing on a $39,985 sedan. Usually, short lease terms like the aforementioned one are pricier as most of a vehicle’s depreciation takes place in the first 1 or 2 years, so this deal seems too good to be true.

And it may very well be depending on the individual buyer. Similar rival luxury models, a Giulia’s lease is limited to only 10,000 miles a year and exceeding the limitation result in additional charges. The $299 deal is for a 2LL base package, so luxury amenities like heated seats, blind-spot monitoring, aluminum paddle shifters, or a sunroof will quickly increase those monthly payments.

But that doesn’t mean a base package Giulia can’t stand up against competitive $399 leases. Leasers will get a compact luxury sedan with the most horsepower and torque in its segment and as early adopters, if anything were to go wrong with a vehicle, Alfa Romeo should give its owner and the vehicle VIP treatment.

To assuage the fear that some potential buyers may have, Alfa Romeo had third-party residual trackers backing up their claim about the Giulia retaining 50 percent residual after 36 months. The brand just wants to cycle people through their products with attractive lease deals because they don’t have a large customer base to rely on, so they need to lure customers away from competing brands.

MotorTend has crunched some numbers and found the $299 Alfa lease deal to be one of the best ones out there.

*including destination charges, before incentives​

·
Registered
241 Posts
No. No it's really not.
1. It requires $3300 down towards cap cost. The payment is actually $138/month more expensive. You're just pre-paying part of the cost.
2. Anyone who puts $3300 down on a lease is making a big mistake.
3. It's not comparing apples to apples 24 vs 36 months for the rest.
4. 36 month residual of 50% terrible. BMW is currently 62%

I have no idea what this person at motor trend is smoking but it is a powerful hallucinogen.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'd would be surprised if someone with even modest negotiation skills couldn't walk out of there with that rate and just pay tax, title and license, by negotiating down a $3k cap cost reduction.

·
Registered
482 Posts
The dealer will tell you that every possible incentive has already been factored into that lease deal, and it's at a MSRP with no options. Classic bait and switch.

Herrdoktorprofessor nailed it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wanted to say I've just beaten the Lease Deal in MA. I have a Giulia in my driveway which I picked up last night under the following terms:

3500 down, so with all the costs it was 10K miles, 24 months, total down including all startup costs $5,148.69, $299/month including tax, and the buyout at the end is $26,611.20.

It's not the base as it has the bigger screen but it is close. In the end they knocked about $8k off the car with incentives and it being the last day of a bad sales month

All in the Lease will cost me about $11.4k.

Worthy price to pay to cross something off my bucket list.

Edit: also has the dual sun roof.

·
Banned
264 Posts
Wanted to say I've just beaten the Lease Deal in MA. I have a Giulia in my driveway which I picked up last night under the following terms:

3500 down, so with all the costs it was 10K miles, 24 months, total down including all startup costs $5,148.69, $299/month including tax, and the buyout at the end is $26,611.20.

It's not the base as it has the bigger screen but it is close. In the end they knocked about $8k off the car with incentives and it being the last day of a bad sales month

All in the Lease will cost me about $11.4k.

Edit: also has the dual sun roof.
Your actual month payment is 514...total payments 12,336...unless the car has a high msrp, they hosed you...need to know the msrp...

·
Registered
3 Posts
wanted to say i've just beaten the lease deal in ma. I have a giulia in my driveway which i picked up last night under the following terms:

3500 down, so with all the costs it was 10k miles, 24 months, total down including all startup costs $5,148.69, $299/month including tax, and the buyout at the end is $26,611.20.

All in the lease will cost me about $11.4k.

Edit: Also has the dual sun roof.
your actual month payment is 514...total payments 12,336...unless the car has a high msrp, they hosed you...need to know the msrp...
$42,500

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Hosed" feels strong to me. Comparatively, I looked at Audi A4, Acura RLX, Subaru WRX, and the C300 and they were all 400-600/m with the same basic terms. A friend has a 540xi at 571 a month (but 3yrs). So I'm not sure I agree with you. I looked at the overall cost of the lease and decided it felt well worth it to spend that money for this car for a couple of years.

Either way, don't hit me with the reality check on day two :). I'm just saying that all the posts here say the lease ad is a fairytale and it's not.

·
Banned
264 Posts
"Hosed" feels strong to me. Comparatively, I looked at Audi A4, Acura RLX, Subaru WRX, and the C300 and they were all 400-600/m with the same basic terms. A friend has a 540xi at 571 a month (but 3yrs). So I'm not sure I agree with you. I looked at the overall cost of the lease and decided it felt well worth it to spend that money for this car for a couple of years.

Either way, don't hit me with the reality check on day two :). I'm just saying that all the posts here say the lease ad is a fairytale and it's not.
That is not the proper comparison, the proper comparison is to a good lease deal on the same Guilia..if you look in the other lease thread you will see that folks paying that much are getting cars valued at 48k+ and/or with 12k miles...
No one said that the ad is a fairytale, they were pointing out that its not 299 a month, its much more than that when you factor the down payment and tax...the lease ad is actually a terrible deal...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had a horrible experience at Orange Coast Alfa Romeo. They played game like no others.....

I got my Giulia at Anaheim Hills Alfa Romeo in SoCal. Not sure if i got a good deal but here's mine.... keep in mind, California has high tax rate on everything, approx 8%

$3000 drive off, including first month payment, tax and license, downpay, etc...
and it was $330 before tax on a $42k mspr

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Sounds fine....how many miles per year ?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have had a horrible experience at Orange Coast Alfa Romeo. They played game like no others.....

I got my Giulia at Anaheim Hills Alfa Romeo in SoCal. Not sure if i got a good deal but here's mine.... keep in mind, California has high tax rate on everything, approx 8%

$3000 drive off, including first month payment, tax and license, downpay, etc...
and it was $330 before tax on a $42k mspr
Not bad at all, actually.

·
Registered
482 Posts

Like Alfa908 mentioned, the deal in the ad is not a fairy tale, it's just misleading.

By my math, your real payment is $490 when you prorate it. So you are at about 1.15% payment of MRSP; 1.2% if you would have wanted 12k miles a year. That is a fair deal, depending on your area. Not the best deal, but far from the worst. Enjoy the car with a smile on your face.

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you could negotiate a lower down sure leasing generally is a bad idea unless you can write it off and want new cars all the time a question though if at the end of the lease the car has depreciated signficantly enough to warrant a purchase can you purchase at market value or do you do so on what would be owed on the car if you had bought it initially?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts