Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Remember the six month delay announcement made in November last year? We were told that Alfa Romeo was working to refine the safety and ride characteristics of the Giulia and we speculated that they were running low on funds. Well there may be more truth to their initial statement than we thought.

An unnamed supplier source told Automotive News Europe that the Giulia failed to pass the EU’s crash test in these areas: internal front, side and rear collision. The source says that this failure had to be rectified with extensive re-engineering, thus the six month delay.

Looking back to past Alfa Romeo crash test results published by the Euro NCAP, they all passed with relatively good ratings if you don’t take into account the old 2001 Alfa Romeo 147. The 2010 Giulietta managed to score an overall rating of 5 stars out of 5. One would assume that this safety standard would apply to the rest of Alfa Romeo’s products designed after that year.

Maybe this failure last year was what pushed Fiat Chrysler Automobiles into poaching former Ferrari chief engineer Roberto Fedeli from BMW. Good news for us as he will the chief technical officer for both Alfa Romeo and Maserati. We will probably see great things from Fedeli in the future, a man with a 26-year stint at Ferrari under his belt.

With the looming Giulia showroom release date in June, we could soon be seeing a new set of crash test results from NCAP.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wonder how often it happens that vehicles fail crash tests. You'd figure that they wouldn't even put it through the crash tests until they had tested it themselves and knew it would pass.

·
Registered
420 Posts
That has me wondering how it would have ranked on american crash tests. At least with the EU regs we know we'll get a safer vehicle.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Are the crash tests more or less stringent when you compare the Euro and North American testing regimes, or are they just different?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Oh, and I also read this article update today that gives Alfa Romeo's response to the crash test fail report. Spoiler: they deny it.

Update, 2/5/15/ 11:55AM: An Alfa Romeo spokesperson reached by Road & Track completely denies the validity of the Automotive News report referenced above, calling it "not accurate or representative at all." The spokesperson affirmed that FCA is still on-track to begin production for the U.S. market Alfa Romeo Giulia in "late 2nd quarter 2016," beginning with the high-performance QV variant with more mainstream models to follow after that.
So maybe there is no delay. At this point it would be very weird for them to deny, and then there actually be a delay ultimately.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I think the Euro one is easier to pass than the North American crash test. If a vehicle can't pass the Euro one, there's no way they can pass the NA one.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I think the Euro one is easier to pass than the North American crash test. If a vehicle can't pass the Euro one, there's no way they can pass the NA one.
That's actually true. Here in North America we have one really hard test, the frontal overlap test which puts a lot of stress on the front end, one which from what I see is harder than any other testing they do.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm no more inrerested in seeing the NA crash test results than the European one. If they can pass the NA one then the crash test failure rumor will be put to rest.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I honestly wouldn't mind getting behind the wheel although it may not rank as well, just so much going on about it that can make someone over look the safety part. We didn't always have an Alfa Romeo performance sedan to choose from. First time in a long, long time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts