1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Vendor
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
88 Posts
X2.......Considering this, seems to be no videos out there to gauge how much louder this is. I'm down for some noise, but not interested in anything overtly obnoxious

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Maybe it reduces the short term rich condition of venting off metered air into the atmosphere?
The reason I asked about venting to atmosphere is because the factory setup doesn't vent off any air to atmosphere it all goes back to the turbo inlet ..it seems silly to vent to atmosphere unless noise is your main goal . ..it should also be noted that Alfa service information does not even refer to it as a blow off valve but rather calls it a surge valve

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The reason I asked about venting to atmosphere is because the factory setup doesn't vent off any air to atmosphere it all goes back to the turbo inlet ..it seems silly to vent to atmosphere unless noise is your main goal . ..it should also be noted that Alfa service information does not even refer to it as a blow off valve but rather calls it a surge valve
That's my point. Diverter valve keeps the (metered) air in the system. Blow off valve vents to atmosphere, causing metered air to escape, which the system isn't designed for. Perhaps a hybrid valve gives the blow off sound some users are seeking, while keeping most of the metered air in the system. Just my guess.

·
Registered
119 Posts
You also sell the go fast bits DV
Can you compare contrast for us?
Hi ParagonBuilder. We have a GFB installed on our shop Giulia in TX. We'll be doing a BOV install on a Giulia next week at that office (and on a JL Wrangler 2.0T as well!), so should be able to give you a more firsthand account after that.

In short, the GFB is like a high-end rebuild kit for the OEM diverter valve assembly. You're keeping the OEM core, but replacing the guts with a setup that seals better when your foot's on the gas, and releases pressure in a way that allows for faster rebuilding of boost between throttle cycles.

The turbosmart unit would be replacing the entire OEM DV kit. Like, completely. It looks like it provides a better seal to the turbocharger under boost. It also allows you to vent pressure to atmosphere (for that blowoff sound), should you be into that sort of thing. On the other hand, it's a newer product without as much of a user base as the GFB has on this platform.

I think either product is an improvement over OEM, I think the Turbosmart BOV is likely the easier install by about 15-30 mins. as you're not disassembling the OEM DV, you're simply pulling the old one out. That would also make it easier to revert to stock if needed.

·
Registered
119 Posts
That's my point. Diverter valve keeps the (metered) air in the system. Blow off valve vents to atmosphere, causing metered air to escape, which the system isn't designed for. Perhaps a hybrid valve gives the blow off sound some users are seeking, while keeping most of the metered air in the system. Just my guess.
I think you're on the right track here. All of Turbosmart's OEM-fit applications are either dual port or pure recirculating, and I would assume it's keeping that metered air in the system to make the nannies happy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
when you say “allows” does this mean it’s adjustable?
Nope. Turbosmart makes a version that vents to atmosphere, which we know works. They also make a version that strictly recirculates, that we don't have testing information for yet.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nope... Well at least on the 2.0T

You can vent the stock diverter valve to atmosphere as well

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Nope... Well at least on the 2.0T

You can vent the stock diverter valve to atmosphere as well
Yep. I never said you can't do it, and I know it's been done. I am saying it probably isn't right.

·
Vendor
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In for updates on this, considering buying one
One_Giulia,

We are working on installing this on blow off valve on our Giulia at our TX location. Once completed we will update everyone with our first hand experiences.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts