Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Alfa Romeo font would be fun to use, especially here.
Does it already exist? If so, from where can I download it?

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the rapid response. I haven't downloaded a font in years. I think it's time.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,633 Posts
Looks like the font on the door sills, rather than the font on the exterior badges.
Might you know where to find a font like the exterior badges?

Also, presuming I remove the GIULIA and Q4 badges and have that painted on (or applied with film) who thinks the AR script would look better or the stock block letters would look better?

https://fontmeme.com/temporary/23182e4aa7b7c66d9f5f3e38ad697247.png

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
If you remove the badges....I would leave them off....JMHO...D

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Rather than "Giulia" on the trunk (which I don't mind)...I wish (at least on the Quad) that they had placed a little 4 leaf clover (as was done on the 164 Q) on the rear trunk fascia...

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
If you remove the badges....I would leave them off....JMHO...D
The stock Chrome badge doesn't contrast enough on white paint. I've read the plastidip suggestions, but I've seen the mess that turns into after a couple of years. OTOH, a wrap over paint or black film will still lay nice and flat.

The point of having the rear badges is to quell some of the questions about "what is it". The Q4 badge is needed to resolve arguments with Caltrans about the vehicle having AWD, although it really could use Q4 badge on the front for that purpose.

Of course the fabulous color AR badge in the center inset on the trunk lid doesn't get touched.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Vesuvio gray on the lettering badges would stand out nicely on white, without being obnoxious. What color are the brake calipers going to be? Maybe do something that matches the calipers. Get somebody who airbrushes helmets to do a custom fade on the lettering; light on the top, fading to dark on the sides. Monte Carlo Blue on the sides of the lettering, with white on the top would stand out nicely too.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The stock Chrome badge doesn't contrast enough on white paint. I've read the plastidip suggestions, but I've seen the mess that turns into after a couple of years. OTOH, a wrap over paint or black film will still lay nice and flat.

The point of having the rear badges is to quell some of the questions about "what is it". The Q4 badge is needed to resolve arguments with Caltrans about the vehicle having AWD, although it really could use Q4 badge on the front for that purpose.

Of course the fabulous color AR badge in the center inset on the trunk lid doesn't get touched.
I say "keep them guessing".....part of the charm of owning an Alfa.....:grin2:

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Vesuvio gray on the lettering badges would stand out nicely on white, without being obnoxious. What color are the brake calipers going to be? Maybe do something that matches the calipers. Get somebody who airbrushes helmets to do a custom fade on the lettering; light on the top, fading to dark on the sides. Monte Carlo Blue on the sides of the lettering, with white on the top would stand out nicely too.
I ordered red with black lettering for the brake calipers. The calipers are not in contact with the white, they are surrounded by dark gray wheels. I don't think red would look right, but agree that gray to match the color of the wheels might come out better than black.

Air brush would mask minor (and inevitable) flaws in painted on lettering. Finding a good air brush painter might be challenging (perhaps easier in So Cal "low rider country").

I also plan to get a swoosh painted on the rocker, somewhat mimicking the CF skirt on the QV. This may go on the top surface of the rocker or on the side like on the QV. Otherwise the sides of a white Giulia are just too plain. I suppose spelling out Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4 in script on the side of the rocker would work too and might be an alternative to putting anything on the trunk lid. CF or darkened mirror covers too, but no CF door handles or such since I think they disrupt the lines of the car on a white car.

None of which answers my font question: which would look better, block lettering like the stock badges or "Alfa script"?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
"None of which answers my font question: which would look better, block lettering like the stock badges or "Alfa script"?"

Depends on how big the lettering is going to be, and what kind of look you want. Big Futura Bold letters will look like a sponsored track car. The Alfa script almost needs to have something else with it, otherwise it would look very old-world on a very current style body.

Here's a couple of ideas that might work depending on how big you would want them to be:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
There's something very close that's free, called Alfaowner Script:

https://fontmeme.com/fonts/alfaowner-script-font/

If you want the font in the logo badge, it's Futura Bold.
Futura Bold was on the old Alfa logo. The new logo uses a different one.

Alfaowner is a really poor approximation of the Alfa script. Alfa had a proper version of the font made a decade or so ago, which they briefly used on some material. Even that needs lots of retouching when composing words, though.

The Giulia lettering is of course a custom design.

Fun fact: Up to a certain point, the contemporary Giulia was supposed to have an old-style Giulia badge, like the one used on the Giulia GT.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Futura Bold was on the old Alfa logo. The new logo uses a different one.

Alfaowner is a really poor approximation of the Alfa script. Alfa had a proper version of the font made a decade or so ago, which they briefly used on some material. Even that needs lots of retouching when composing words, though.

The Giulia lettering is of course a custom design.

Fun fact: Up to a certain point, the contemporary Giulia was supposed to have an old-style Giulia badge, like the one used on the Giulia GT.
Thank you, that's good to know!

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
When viewed side-by-side like that, you can see they made quite a few changes in the post-2015 script; especially the capital R. Is it a full usable font, or just a vector image?

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
"None of which answers my font question: which would look better, block lettering like the stock badges or "Alfa script"?"

Depends on how big the lettering is going to be, and what kind of look you want. Big Futura Bold letters will look like a sponsored track car. The Alfa script almost needs to have something else with it, otherwise it would look very old-world on a very current style body.

Here's a couple of ideas that might work depending on how big you would want them to be:
When adding custom details to a car I don't think a precise match of the fonts is all that critical.

The pictures of SD carbon's side skirts makes a few things clear:

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/385-exterior/19657-sdcarbon-news-lip-sideskirts.html

The rockers present a poor canvas for lettering. The underside angles downward while the upper side is very narrow. It may be possible to project the lettering onto the upper and lower sides, but then it would only look right from one angle and distance. The SD carbon side skirts look sloppy to me, unlike the QV skirts they don't look like part of the rocker. So that has me back to painting a swoosh on the rockers and maybe lettering (GIULIA and Q4) on the trunk lid.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
A comparison.

When viewed side-by-side like that, you can see they made quite a few changes in the post-2015 script; especially the capital R. Is it a full usable font, or just a vector image?
I have the same question, and I wonder which of the fonts (if any, or even a mash-up) was used on this watch.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.