Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To whom it may interest,

This is Pradeep Tatineni, and I have a story to tell about my new 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia. I am going to start this post off by making it clear that I am in no way saying that the Giulia is anything less than a perfect automobile. Though Alfa Romeo has created a vehicle that surpasses nearly all of the competitors in its segment, a product is only as good as the team that backs it. In this competitive era in which only minor features set the various cars apart, customer service is one place in which any automotive manufacturer can set themselves apart.

As with most posts of this length, there are a series of events that led to the development of the motivation required to write this “essay”. Let me start off my Alfa Romeo experience with the buying process. It all started off when I went to Nyle Maxwell Alfa Romeo (who advertises themselves to be the number 1 Alfa Dealer), in Austin, Texas. I was greeted by Angela and Aaron, whom in my opinion were the most dedicated and qualified sales associates I have ever met. I would like to take a minute to say I have purchased many cars in the past and the sales department at this dealership is one that any other dealership can learn from, but thats about where the light stops to sign on this dealership.

Not long after the signing of the papers, the other side of car ownership came into play. The day after purchasing the car, I realized that the front left tweeter (speaker) did not work, and the front right door speaker made a lot of rattling noises. I procrastinated on taking it into the dealership because I did not have time to take out of my day. A few weeks later, the lid for the cup holder got stuck at the half way point, and would not budge. At this point, I decided to take the car to Alfa as no car that is less than 2 weeks old should have this many problems. Before I had the opportunity to take the car in, another problem had come up. The window trim on the rear right door had almost come off completely to the point where I needed to temporary tape it down. Despite all of these issues, I still absolutely loved the car, and had no regrets on the purchase. It wasn't till I went into the service department that I wished I had not even stepped foot into the Alfa Romeo dealership to begin with.

Once I arrived in the service drive, I was kindly greeted by a service advisor by the name of Ray. At the time, Ray assured me that everything would be taken care of and that they would go ahead and order the parts needed. After about a month of waiting, I called back Ray who informed me that the parts were there and that he had been meaning to call me. I then took the car in, and was told that it should be ready for pickup later that day, or the next day at the latest. I was later told that it could take an additional day, all of which I was fine with. Then the real programs began. After about a week and a half in the dealership, I had called and asked to pick up my car, without the repairs being completed, as I needed it for some work I was doing. I was told that I could not pick up my car because it was being worked on at the moment, which is completely understandable. Then the following day I happen to be going by the dealership, so i decided to call and find out if I could pick up the car. Ray then went to go “check on the car” and told me that the car was currently being worked on, and that the door panels were off the car. During this phone call, without their knowledge, I was actually parked in the parking lot staring at my completely assembled car parked in the exact same spot where it had been the day I dropped it off. At this point I did not want to mention this to them nor make a big deal out of it, so I decided to wait a little longer. After more waiting, I asked to talk to the service manager, a man named Austin. Well, lets just say my “great luck” with the service department did not end there. Austin happen to be one of the rudest and most arrogant individuals that I have met to date. In stead of trying to speed up the process, and apologizing for the delay, Austin decided that it would be professional and appropriate to tell me that I don't know how car repairs work and that I should expect to leave the car there for a few weeks every time that I brought it in from now on. As the weekend approached, I told them that I would like to pick up the car on Saturday wether the repair was completed or not. At this point, I was told that the repair was not completed because the parts had not arrived. Keep in mind I only took in the car because they told me that the parts were there. So upon leaving the dealership, I told them to call me (again) once all the parts were there.

2 weeks later, I received a call from Ray who informed me that the parts were there. I took it back to the dealership on the following Monday, and was told that it should be completed in 3-4 days. Then I decided to call back on Thursday afternoon (day 4), and they had told me that the car had not yet been looked at. They apologized and said that it will be done by Saturday and that I should plan to pick it up then. Then on Saturday (Day 6) I called back and was told that the car still hadn't been looked at. They then asked for a few more days to “work” on the car. I called back Tuesday of the following week (Day 9) and asked for a progress update. I was told that it was being worked on, and that I should have it back before the weekend. Then on Thursday, I called back and asked if everything was still going on track, and was told that the car still has not been looked at (yes, 2 days before I was told it was being worked on). Now, my car has been in the dealership for what is going to be the end of the 2nd week, and as far as I know my car still has not been looked at.

This is absolutely unacceptable. I have dealt with many companies with poor customer service in the past, but Alfa Romeo takes it to a whole new level. I have been a fan of the brand ever since I was a little kid, and it only took the company a few months to completely destroy their reputation in my eyes. Me and my loved ones have owned many cars ranging from a basic smart car to a state of the arch Tesla Model X, and everything that lays in-between. Despite having worked with service departments at all of these companies, I have never been disrespected and lied to as much as I have by the folks over at the Nyle Maxwell Alfa Romeo service center.

In conclusion, Alfa Romeo has created an amazing vehicle, but as many are complaining of, the service on these cars is simply not up to par. My car has now been in the dealership for 2 weeks for something as simple as 2 speakers, and a cupholder lid (all of which I could personally fix in less than 2 hours if it weren't to void my warranty). Now imagine if something more major were to go wrong with the car in the future such as an engine or transmission. Would Alfa be able to fix it at all? How many months would that take? These are questions that I should have asked myself before I bought the car. As for those of y'all who still don't have Alfa’s, stay away! Don't let the beautiful design and the Rossa Competizione paint deceive you. I would also like to mention that once the reputations of Alfa Romeo’s service and reliability get out into the public, all of our car are gonna be work near nothing at resale. After all who wants to buy a car thats gonna be serviced by …. Wait they don't get serviced. As for me, I am planning on giving Alfa Romeo Service one more chance before selling my car and having my family look away from the 3 Stelvio’s that they were planning on purchasing.

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Wow, Pradeep! So sorry to hear of this absolutely horrible tale of unacceptable customer and car service.
What a gorgeous car. I have a red Giulia also. I strongly empathize with you.
All the best and hope it turns around somehow.

Chuck

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I forgot the member who doesnt post on here any more but he was original service and I think he was located at Mckinely Alfa. From what I hear they are actually the #1 dealership in tx. Might want to try them, sounds like a crap dealership. I'd send a letter to Reid Bigland or alfa romeo customer care.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Pradeept sorry to hear that but saying "stay away" is to harsh. From what you are describing you did not have the major issue with the car just poor experience with the customer service. I have owned the car for like 4 months now and 5k miles on it and did not have a single issue. I had multiple questions and the software upgrade; the customer service was perfect. I know some folks with exactly the same experience. The car itself is amazing.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I forgot the member who doesnt post on here any more but he was original service and I think he was located at Mckinely Alfa. From what I hear they are actually the #1 dealership in tx. Might want to try them, sounds like a crap dealership. I'd send a letter to Reid Bigland or alfa romeo customer care.
I believe you're thinking of @DaneARFOM.
He was in sales, but is now service manager at Alfa Romero /Fiat of McKinney, just north of Dallas (this is the dealer I bought my Giulia from)

BTW, I am not sure where OP is from. @MrMegadeth made the comment about TX dealers being independent.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Dealers are the ambassadors of the brand...not just commercial entities...
I have always said...I'm buying the dealer not necessarily the marque.
@OP you had a really crappy dealer on the service side....is going to another dealer not possible for you? are there none in the area other than this one??
FCA will do little to help with this type of dealer issue...in fact most if not all brands will not be helpful in this type of dealer situation.
dealers are independent contractors...

·
Registered
646 Posts
This dealer issue can be greatly improved by Alfa sending a roving band of dealer compliance people to park themselves at numerous dealers each month and shadow sales and services, and keep rotating across the country and returning. We would call this triage.

Restaurant chains do this all the time with problem units and it generally works. Sometimes someone needs to get the ax though.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I agree that what you're going through is totally unacceptable.

Have you been in contact with Alfa USA? Most dealerships are independent but Alfa still has control over whether they are allowed to sell cars or not.

I think it's about time Alfa needs to publicly address these issues whether its through a management change or some other avenue.

Although my Q is the best car I have ever owned I am dreading the possibility of having a problem and potentially having to deal with what a few of the folks on here have gone through. It's starting to take a toll on my smile factor...

Good luck

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,025 Posts
i had a service centre that tried to spin me bullshit after they had the car for less than 20 minutes and proceeded to start a diagnosis where they were instructed by Alfa Care to just scan the ECU for a particular error code
they said they couldnt just scan the ECU as that would not be covered by warranty on its own (even though AC instructed them to "just perform the scan" )

while they were arguing the point, and a couple of their senior staff appeared to loiter by, i basicaly told them in no uncertain terms, to hand the car back over, and that i would gladly PAY to have them NOT touch my car (my old 159 btw, not this Giulia, i have had nothing but perfection with this car, ... dealership, service and performance)

you have to be more assertive mate, or they will walk all over you ... they were probably using it as a loaner or a freebie for the GM or even, god forbid, had stripped it for a part to satisfy some blonde tart

thats the real world, unfortunately, and lack of integrity and dishonesty does not follow any particular brand, you will find it everywhere

i blame Dick Trump

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you sent the same essay to the GM of the dealer? Dealers in Texas are independent and, unfortunately, Alfa has little control.
So, if people are going into a particular McDonald's and everyone whom orders a Big Mac receives an Egg McMuffin instead, McDonald's would let that slide because that location is an 'independent franchisee'? Not likely. That 1 location is ruining the brand, and the franchisor would (and should) put the hammer down on them.

The only difference here is that closing a McDonald's location would be insignificant whereas closing an AR location would probably be 1-2% of the total dealership count.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is why Tesla is selling direct. Dealers mostly suck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
This is why Tesla is selling direct. Dealers mostly suck.
I've thought the same thing.

FCA had a golden opportunity with the relaunch of Alfa. Just a few years ago there were no Alfa dealers in the USA, no franchise agreements to honor. FCA knowing they were going to relaunch Alfa in the USA should have done company stores and sold direct. It would have given them more control on how their new product was being presented to the buying public and each sale would have been more profitable.

The second thing that Alfa failed at, which they're probably regretting, is not developing the capability to offer over the air Tesla style software updates. Tesla has been doing this for 4-5 years. The Giulia was nothing 4-5 years ago. FCA developed a brand new platform from scratch, even the infotainment system is unique solely to Alfa at this point. Should have gone with Wifi abilities from the start and the ability to push software updates directly to customer cars without the customer ever having to enter a dealership. There would have been many benefits to Alfa if they had envisioned and integrated this. Half of the problems we've been reading about on the forums would likely be non-issues, or at least not as large issues. Journalist test vehicles wouldn't have failed at such a high rate, as they would have been updated over the air rather than having to have Bigland make excuses that the car wasn't probably hand prepared with software to these journalists before delivery. Customers don't want to go to the dealer, and everytime a car goes to the dealer for a fix, it costs Alfa money. Whoever nixed that at Alfa Romeo or FCA for the Giulia should be fired, no excuse for not developing and implementing this feature.

Like I said months ago, if Alfa fails, it will because their approach to the relaunch was too conservative, too conventional. They're not doing anything disruptive, and they're not even following the biggest disruptive player in the industry (Tesla).

All that said, I want my Alfa. At least 4 weeks to go. I hope my dealer provides another Friday update tomorrow, I can't imagine my car spent all week having the interior installed (which is where it was at last Friday).

·
Registered
296 Posts
The dealership itself and its management are extremely important

I purchased my Quadrifoglio June 6 (was on order for me for 3 months) from Brown-Daub in Nazareth PA.
They building they are in has Fiat as well (I wish it was Maserati instead).
They also have an older larger building that has Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep.

I had an extremely unusual issue where when you made a left turn above 20 MPH or accelerated very quickly, the back right of the seat would drop a couple of inches - very scary feeling.
I was VERY concerned an unusual problem like this would be almost impossible to fix as Alfa certainly wouldn't send an entire new seat...
I was put in touch with the Service Manager - Mark - who the sales manager directed me to since this was a strange problem. He ordered the track/seat bottom assemble and it came in quickly - around a week I think.
An appointment was made a couple of weeks later to install and it is perfect!
That took care of the issue 100%.

In my case, I highly recommend my dealer.
They certainly would not compete with the pampering experience of premium brand service departments from Lexus, Mercedes, etc... but that is not why I bought my QV.

I wanted something different, with a great driving experience, handling and power.
This one happens to be packaged in a beautiful Italian body with Ferrari engineering underneath.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
pradeept,
This is horrid. A couple of questions. Who did the matte wrap? Might they have loosened or broken the trim? And the other issues were the cupholder lid, speaker and door rattle?

I'm afraid the service staff may have been very jealous of your car and the "minor" issues you brought it in for, except for the trim which may have been wrap related, seemed petty in their minds.

I am really glad you staked them out. That was actually comical, very smart, and busted them royally. I spoke to Angela when I was shopping in the spring. We had a great talk and kept in touch but I knew I had to build the support network for my car here locally. Hopefully those jokers will get fired. It's just plain dumb, inept and totally unprofessional. The comment about the blond tart is not too far off either. I would look at your odometer carefully. The car looks fantastic with the wrap, wheels and spoiler. I would almost bet that many there turned green with envy and decided to stick it to you and steal your car for a while or let it sit because they lacked so much integrity they couldn't own up to the fact it would take a month for them to get parts or climb the learning curve for their first door card job. What's wrong with saying we need a month to get up to speed? If it takes a week, they are exceeding expectations.

Prepare to go elsewhere and make sure you can get your car out of there without any vandalism. Tread lightly and expect nothing.

I'm appalled but confident you can find better elsewhere. If it takes an hour drive, it's an excuse to enjoy your Giulia the way it's meant to be. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
This dealer issue can be greatly improved by Alfa sending a roving band of dealer compliance people to park themselves at numerous dealers each month and shadow sales and services, and keep rotating across the country and returning. We would call this triage.

Restaurant chains do this all the time with problem units and it generally works. Sometimes someone needs to get the ax though.
someone has been watching undercover boss....:p

·
Vendor
1,334 Posts
To whom it may interest,

This is Pradeep Tatineni, and I have a story to tell about my new 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia. I am going to start this post off by making it clear that I am in no way saying that the Giulia is anything less than a perfect automobile. Though Alfa Romeo has created a vehicle that surpasses nearly all of the competitors in its segment, a product is only as good as the team that backs it. In this competitive era in which only minor features set the various cars apart, customer service is one place in which any automotive manufacturer can set themselves apart.

As with most posts of this length, there are a series of events that led to the development of the motivation required to write this “essay”. Let me start off my Alfa Romeo experience with the buying process. It all started off when I went to Nyle Maxwell Alfa Romeo (who advertises themselves to be the number 1 Alfa Dealer), in Austin, Texas. I was greeted by Angela and Aaron, whom in my opinion were the most dedicated and qualified sales associates I have ever met. I would like to take a minute to say I have purchased many cars in the past and the sales department at this dealership is one that any other dealership can learn from, but thats about where the light stops to sign on this dealership.

Not long after the signing of the papers, the other side of car ownership came into play. The day after purchasing the car, I realized that the front left tweeter (speaker) did not work, and the front right door speaker made a lot of rattling noises. I procrastinated on taking it into the dealership because I did not have time to take out of my day. A few weeks later, the lid for the cup holder got stuck at the half way point, and would not budge. At this point, I decided to take the car to Alfa as no car that is less than 2 weeks old should have this many problems. Before I had the opportunity to take the car in, another problem had come up. The window trim on the rear right door had almost come off completely to the point where I needed to temporary tape it down. Despite all of these issues, I still absolutely loved the car, and had no regrets on the purchase. It wasn't till I went into the service department that I wished I had not even stepped foot into the Alfa Romeo dealership to begin with.

Once I arrived in the service drive, I was kindly greeted by a service advisor by the name of Ray. At the time, Ray assured me that everything would be taken care of and that they would go ahead and order the parts needed. After about a month of waiting, I called back Ray who informed me that the parts were there and that he had been meaning to call me. I then took the car in, and was told that it should be ready for pickup later that day, or the next day at the latest. I was later told that it could take an additional day, all of which I was fine with. Then the real programs began. After about a week and a half in the dealership, I had called and asked to pick up my car, without the repairs being completed, as I needed it for some work I was doing. I was told that I could not pick up my car because it was being worked on at the moment, which is completely understandable. Then the following day I happen to be going by the dealership, so i decided to call and find out if I could pick up the car. Ray then went to go “check on the car” and told me that the car was currently being worked on, and that the door panels were off the car. During this phone call, without their knowledge, I was actually parked in the parking lot staring at my completely assembled car parked in the exact same spot where it had been the day I dropped it off. At this point I did not want to mention this to them nor make a big deal out of it, so I decided to wait a little longer. After more waiting, I asked to talk to the service manager, a man named Austin. Well, lets just say my “great luck” with the service department did not end there. Austin happen to be one of the rudest and most arrogant individuals that I have met to date. In stead of trying to speed up the process, and apologizing for the delay, Austin decided that it would be professional and appropriate to tell me that I don't know how car repairs work and that I should expect to leave the car there for a few weeks every time that I brought it in from now on. As the weekend approached, I told them that I would like to pick up the car on Saturday wether the repair was completed or not. At this point, I was told that the repair was not completed because the parts had not arrived. Keep in mind I only took in the car because they told me that the parts were there. So upon leaving the dealership, I told them to call me (again) once all the parts were there.

2 weeks later, I received a call from Ray who informed me that the parts were there. I took it back to the dealership on the following Monday, and was told that it should be completed in 3-4 days. Then I decided to call back on Thursday afternoon (day 4), and they had told me that the car had not yet been looked at. They apologized and said that it will be done by Saturday and that I should plan to pick it up then. Then on Saturday (Day 6) I called back and was told that the car still hadn't been looked at. They then asked for a few more days to “work” on the car. I called back Tuesday of the following week (Day 9) and asked for a progress update. I was told that it was being worked on, and that I should have it back before the weekend. Then on Thursday, I called back and asked if everything was still going on track, and was told that the car still has not been looked at (yes, 2 days before I was told it was being worked on). Now, my car has been in the dealership for what is going to be the end of the 2nd week, and as far as I know my car still has not been looked at.

This is absolutely unacceptable. I have dealt with many companies with poor customer service in the past, but Alfa Romeo takes it to a whole new level. I have been a fan of the brand ever since I was a little kid, and it only took the company a few months to completely destroy their reputation in my eyes. Me and my loved ones have owned many cars ranging from a basic smart car to a state of the arch Tesla Model X, and everything that lays in-between. Despite having worked with service departments at all of these companies, I have never been disrespected and lied to as much as I have by the folks over at the Nyle Maxwell Alfa Romeo service center.

In conclusion, Alfa Romeo has created an amazing vehicle, but as many are complaining of, the service on these cars is simply not up to par. My car has now been in the dealership for 2 weeks for something as simple as 2 speakers, and a cupholder lid (all of which I could personally fix in less than 2 hours if it weren't to void my warranty). Now imagine if something more major were to go wrong with the car in the future such as an engine or transmission. Would Alfa be able to fix it at all? How many months would that take? These are questions that I should have asked myself before I bought the car. As for those of y'all who still don't have Alfa’s, stay away! Don't let the beautiful design and the Rossa Competizione paint deceive you. I would also like to mention that once the reputations of Alfa Romeo’s service and reliability get out into the public, all of our car are gonna be work near nothing at resale. After all who wants to buy a car thats gonna be serviced by …. Wait they don't get serviced. As for me, I am planning on giving Alfa Romeo Service one more chance before selling my car and having my family look away from the 3 Stelvio’s that they were planning on purchasing.
Hi Pradeep,

I'm very sorry to hear about your experience and concerns with your vehicle. I can see you have also reached out on Facebook regarding your concerns, once you provide your VIN we will be able to investigate this further for you.

Andrea
Alfa Romeo Social Care Specialist

1 - 20 of 53 Posts