Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Below is the link to the 2017 Alfa Romeo Warranty booklet.

Regarding modifications specifically, Alfa Romeo of course will not cover any part that did not come installed in your car from the factory. It will also not cover any repairs or adjustments that may be needed because of the installation or use of non-Alfa Romeo parts. In other words, if an after-market component caused a secondary issue, repairs or adjustments will also not be covered. Warranty on the rest of original factory components are covered under their Basic Limited Warranty Coverage.

For me personally, I changed my exhaust to an after-market one, I wanted to make sure I was not voiding anything. Under Federal Emission Warranty FCA USA warrants the following parts for 4 years/50k miles.

• Air Systems Controls;
  • Electronic fuel injection system, including injector;
  • Evaporative-emission canister and controls;
  • Exhaust manifold;
  • Exhaust gas recirculation valve and control system;
  • Exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and catalyst);
  • Fuel Cap and Tank assembly, pump, and fuel lines;
  • Ignition System
  • Intake Manifold;
  • on-board diagnostic-system components;
  • Oxygen Sensors;
  • Positive crankcase-ventilation (PCV) valve or Orifice;
  • Secondary Ignition wires;
  • Spark Plugs;
  • Throttle body;
  • Transmission-control module;
  • Vacuum hoses, clamps, and fittings, as well as tubing used for these components;
  • Vacuum, temperature, altitude, speed, time-sensitive valves, sensors, and switches used in these components and systems.
I have highlighted an interesting omission in the Emission parts definition. The exhaust pipes as defined by AR is the piping between the exhaust manifold and the catalyst (catalytic converter?). What does that mean? Is the piping after the catalyst (catalytic converted) not covered at all? If that's the case, then installing any aftermarket cat-back exhausts systems shouldn't matter at all?

https://www.alfaromeousa.com/conten...17-Alfa_Romeo-Giulia-Generic_Warranty-2nd.pdf

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I would 'assume' it'd mean they wouldn't cover any part that you've replaced or they could prove went wrong as a result of changing a part out, but i'd think they'd have to prove it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right. I do get that. But my comments regarding the Emission parts as defined by AR omit or rather specifically define exhaust pipes being between the exhaust manifold and catalytic converter. So even if you have your stock exhaust, is the "exhaust piping" after the catalytic converter not covered at all?

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
I thought spark plugs were to be changed every 30,000 miles?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. They should be changed every 30 k miles. The Warranty coverage pertains to failures in the part. So if there is an issue with the spark plug and verified by AR, it will be replaced free of charge. But you should change your spark plugs at 30k as recommended in your maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
693 Posts
My interpretation is that that list only applies to the Federal Emmisions warranty which according to that booklet provides coverage for 2 years or 24K miles. This is basically moot since the general warranty covers all the whole car for 4 years or 50K miles, but they have to include the information in the booklet.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
My interpretation is that that list only applies to the Federal Emmisions warranty which according to that booklet provides coverage for 2 years or 24K miles. This is basically moot since the general warranty covers all the whole car for 4 years or 50K miles, but they have to include the information in the booklet.
There may be other complications. The last time I checked (admittedly a long time ago) the state of California required that vehicle mfgs warrant their emission control systems for 10 years/100,000 miles. GM had to list replacing their catalytic converter as free scheduled maintenance.

The Giulia warranty specifically lists the catalytic converter as 8 years or 80,000 miles.

Interesting that salt spray, road salt and acid rain are listed exclusions in the corrosion warranty. These are so ubiquitous that AR could simply refuse to honor anything.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These are so ubiquitous that AR could simply refuse to honor anything.
They also specifically mention Racing. The 4 year/50k warranty does not cover repairing damage or conditions caused by racing, nor do they cover the repair of any defects that are found as the result of participating in a racing event. Dealers can tell if you have abused your car or if its excessively worn given the mileage.

Now, racing can be defined as as contest or competition to achieve superiority. So whether or not there are other cars participating is irrelevant because you can be competing against a posted time and not necessarily other cars. I would assume this includes autocross or even drag strip events.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,482 Posts
There's a reason it's called a "limited warranty".

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
They also specifically mention Racing. The 4 year/50k warranty does not cover repairing damage or conditions caused by racing, nor do they cover the repair of any defects that are found as the result of participating in a racing event. Dealers can tell if you have abused your car or if its excessively worn given the mileage.

Now, racing can be defined as as contest or competition to achieve superiority. So whether or not there are other cars participating is irrelevant because you can be competing against a posted time and not necessarily other cars. I would assume this includes autocross or even drag strip events.

Good catch. Curious verbiage, is that exactly what it says? They won't warrant a repair needed due to a failure to pass a pre-race inspection (amongst other things)? Hmm, just don't tell them how the fault was discovered...

In the extreme case simply driving fast can be interpreted as "racing". I would think they mean "closed course competition" but again the words are unclear and that is not exactly what was stated. For example, I time myself over Sonora Pass and do not publish the results, is that a "race" just because I check the time on a clock?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good catch. Curious verbiage, is that exactly what it says? They won't warrant a repair needed due to a failure to pass a pre-race inspection (amongst other things)? Hmm, just don't tell them how the fault was discovered...

In the extreme case simply driving fast can be interpreted as "racing". I would think they mean "closed course competition" but again the words are unclear and that is not exactly what was stated. For example, I time myself over Sonora Pass and do not publish the results, is that a "race" just because I check the time on a clock?
Their use of the word racing is not defined to assume they mean "closed course competition". As you said before, its very ambiguous and only AR knows what it considers Racing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.