Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Wow, very interesting....
Wouldn't it be cool if they provided them the motors?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
When I read the title I thought back as a competitor... I thought no way! Sergio is not going to let Ferrari and Alfa compete against each other in F1, and spend all that money.
But as a sponsor... sure! I don't see why not.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, very interesting....
Wouldn't it be cool if they provided them the motors?
No Sauber already has Ferrari technology in the cars...this would be a Corporate sponsorship and more of a "pay to play" kind of relationship.
The 2 drivers at Sauber are out after today even if they finish 1 & 2.
The rumor is Ferrari has a very good young driver in Giovinazzi...and he may be getting a seat there..he already ran a couple of races for Sauber this year

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
No Sauber already has Ferrari technology in the cars...this would be a Corporate sponsorship and more of a "pay to play" kind of relationship.
The 2 drivers at Sauber are out after today even if they finish 1 & 2.
The rumor is Ferrari has a very good young driver in Giovinazzi...and he may be getting a seat there..he already ran a couple of races for Sauber this year
"And it has emerged that part of Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne's thinking for how to take the partnership with Sauber forwards, has included the idea of a rebranding of its customer engines as Alfa Romeo."

Not a far fetched guess on my part after all Professore!! :wink2:

Reactions: inikkor and MDriver

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"And it has emerged that part of Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne's thinking for how to take the partnership with Sauber forwards, has included the idea of a rebranding of its customer engines as Alfa Romeo."

Not a far fetched guess on my part after all Professore!! :wink2:
Better for us Dottore!!...that would be nice to see Alfa Romeo motors powering Sauber....as long as they are able to get the software updates:grin2::wink2:

·
Registered
617 Posts
the alfa romeo script and the badge make for the most beautiful livery in racing.

no badge or crest is prettier. would make me tune back in to F-1 if the stepped back in but I don't see the value prop. f-1 is not where I would look for race on sunday / sell on Monday. the audi model for endurance racing success did in fact translate into sales. I would love to see the alfa racing but f-1 is not the venue.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
the alfa romeo script and the badge make for the most beautiful livery in racing.

no badge or crest is prettier. would make me tune back in to F-1 if the stepped back in but I don't see the value prop. f-1 is not where I would look for race on sunday / sell on Monday. the audi model for endurance racing success did in fact translate into sales. I would love to see the alfa racing but f-1 is not the venue.
not sure there is any $$$ value anymore in the olde race on sunday sell on monday creedo...
you mention Audi....an impressive endurance record for certain...though they announced that they were closing shop on the LMP cars. Nothing left to prove as they were dominant...but also big $$$$ to fund a racing program...
and if you look at Sports Cars....another Factory backed privateer just shuttered their doors and they were extremely successful, Alex Job Racing.
the money metrics just don't work anymore...as the sport has become waayy too expensive to really compete....
I think for Alfa racing in F1 as a sponsorship is just advertising dollars.....no delusions of grandeur....prestige....and if it don't work....move the ad money elsewhere I'm guessing

BTW anyone watch F1 this AM???.....Mercedes is just clearly the better machine...1st & foremost....even on the long stretches where the Ferrari has shown much better speed than the rest....it still can't catch the Mercs......better luck next year Cavallino.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
they already have an Alfa sticker on the ferrari - I agree with fpete, more money could be better spent elsewhere
they did well with euro touring car series.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If they're back in F1 I don't think it'll be a bad thing, provided they're not stuck at the back of the grid. If nothing else it'll mean I'll have a team to support again.

In a way it parallels the Lotus return (although there were two....). When Lotus sponsored Renault I was a bit upset as it was a badging exercise especially as there was the new factory backed team too which became Team Lotus. Once the dust settled and Team Lotus became Caterham I was ok with it. I had people say it shouldn't be as Lotus as they didn't build the cars but to be fair the only manufacturer in F1 now that builds the car onsite is Ferrari. Renault can be traced back to Toleman, Merc back to Tyrell if I remember correctly. My point is these are essentially branding exercises as the F1 factories are separate entities.

Anyway I think F1 helped Lotus a little, especially with Kimi winning (made a lot more sense than running around at the back as the best new team) but unfortunately the money ran short and the end was sad. If the new owners of Sauber and Ferrari give the team to be at least a respectable mid back team (or even better perform like the BMW Sauber days) then I think it'll be great for Alfa.

Also if they brand all the customer engines as Alfa then we'll also have a Haas Alfa:)

Red Bull is becoming Aston Martin Red Bull next year too so Alfa will be in good company.

Now all I hope is Geely/Volvo get Lotus back in F1

·
Registered
7,474 Posts

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They are Back

it's official...article is from Italy

Il nome ufficiale della squadra sarà Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team. La livrea delle monoposto sarà caratterizzata dagli inconfondibili colori Alfa e dal marchio del brand in qualità di Title Sponsor. Le monoposto saranno motorizzate con le power unit Ferrari 2018.
L’accordo prevede inoltre una cooperazione strategica, commerciale e tecnologica in tutte le possibili aree di sviluppo anche attraverso la condivisione di ingegneri e personale tecnico specializzato di Alfa Romeo. La partnership costituisce la base di ulteriori opportunità per le due società in Formula 1 e per il settore automotive in generale.
“L’accordo con Sauber *F1 Team” ha spiegato Sergio Marchionne, AD di FCA “è un passo significativo nella ricostruzione del brand Alfa Romeo che, tornando in Formula 1 dopo un’assenza dalle corse di oltre 30 anni, restituisce al campionato uno dei marchi che hanno fatto la storia di questo sport, andando ad aggiungersi ad altre importanti aziende automobilistiche che partecipano alla Formula 1.
Il brand stesso, inoltre, potrà beneficiare dello scambio tecnico e strategico con un partner di esperienza indiscussa come Sauber F1 Team e gli ingegneri e i tecnici dell’Alfa Romeo, che hanno già dato prova delle loro capacità con la progettazione dei nuovi modelli Giulia e Stelvio, potranno ulteriormente ampliare la loro esperienza portando al Sauber F1 Team competenze tecniche di assoluta avanguardia. Contemporaneamente, tutti gli appassionati di Alfa Romeo potranno di nuovo tifare per un costruttore di automobili che è determinato a scrivere un nuovo capitolo della sua unica e leggendaria storia sportiva“.

·
Registered
25 Posts
it's official...article is from Italy

Il nome ufficiale della squadra sarà Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team. La livrea delle monoposto sarà caratterizzata dagli inconfondibili colori Alfa e dal marchio del brand in qualità di Title Sponsor. Le monoposto saranno motorizzate con le power unit Ferrari 2018.
L’accordo prevede inoltre una cooperazione strategica, commerciale e tecnologica in tutte le possibili aree di sviluppo anche attraverso la condivisione di ingegneri e personale tecnico specializzato di Alfa Romeo. La partnership costituisce la base di ulteriori opportunità per le due società in Formula 1 e per il settore automotive in generale.
“L’accordo con Sauber *F1 Team” ha spiegato Sergio Marchionne, AD di FCA “è un passo significativo nella ricostruzione del brand Alfa Romeo che, tornando in Formula 1 dopo un’assenza dalle corse di oltre 30 anni, restituisce al campionato uno dei marchi che hanno fatto la storia di questo sport, andando ad aggiungersi ad altre importanti aziende automobilistiche che partecipano alla Formula 1.
Il brand stesso, inoltre, potrà beneficiare dello scambio tecnico e strategico con un partner di esperienza indiscussa come Sauber F1 Team e gli ingegneri e i tecnici dell’Alfa Romeo, che hanno già dato prova delle loro capacità con la progettazione dei nuovi modelli Giulia e Stelvio, potranno ulteriormente ampliare la loro esperienza portando al Sauber F1 Team competenze tecniche di assoluta avanguardia. Contemporaneamente, tutti gli appassionati di Alfa Romeo potranno di nuovo tifare per un costruttore di automobili che è determinato a scrivere un nuovo capitolo della sua unica e leggendaria storia sportiva“.

And from F1.COM

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/11/alfa-romeo-to-return-to-f1-with-sauber.html

·
Registered
526 Posts
Without knowing the details of the arrangement, this could be the cheapest way for Alfa to get into any type of racing. I applaud the effort, it will generate sales worldwide but probably have little effect in the US.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Show me the scudetto!

Reactions: Tazio!1901
1 - 20 of 60 Posts