Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been waiting to test drive a Guiia QV4 intending to purchase one in the next few months.

Drove one yesterday and the steering weight and feel felt similar to the newer BMW with electric power steering (not so great). Other than that the car handled great, and the engine was felt very nice. I was driving in the dynamic setting. I also noted the steering appears to be speed sensitive, so for slower speeds it feels super light. I was rather surprised given the rave reviews in regards to the feel of the car. I drove a Ti without the dynamic suspension option.

Is this normal or is there some sort of sport package that would help? I read the about the dynamic suspension option but it appears those settings do not mess with the steering.

I currently drive a 545i with dynamic steering and suspension, and expected the Guilia to have a better steering feel, and it did not. I am a bit put off by it, and thought I would check to see if it was due to options on the car.

Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
VW-Pora, it may be what you're used to or personal preference... For me this is the best steering/handling car I've owned... Also had Audi, Saab, and Merc in the past.. I have an AWD and no complaints - it is really quick and fun..

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Funny post...BMWs of late feel substantially worse than Giulia, particularly 5 series which is a much larger cruiser and feels really like a big boat in turns. Since E9x BMW has really not had a car with good steering feel, even F80 is not on par with QV.
Giulia's steering might be a bit light at low speeds but it is mostly a case of extreme directness that seems to confuse people initially, after you recalibrate your senses it feels better then just about any sedan out there

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Dude, major faux pas.
It's : A l f a G i u l i a.
Back to topic, the steering is electrically boosted and won't give you the same feel as an un-boosted rack, or hydraulically boosted systems.
The Sport packages and the Performance packages do not change the steering system in any way.
I have e39 and e46 BMWs and the Giulia steering does feel different and lighter, but in a good way, imo.
As Gfrfan stated, personal preference.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I've had the opportunity to test drive four different Giulias now. Never an AWD though.

The Ti Performance Package (Q2) makes all the difference in the world. It really transforms the car and the DNA switch changes the car, all of the car.

There is the Active Suspension that allows for shock damping changes on the fly.

The transmission can put in a manual mode and shifted with the paddles.

And, there is the Limit Slip Differential use in the Quad (QV) that it part of the Q2 package.

Dynamic Mode tightens up the steering feel, brake response, throttle response and power, transmission logic and torque converter, suspension damping.

Switching back into Natural Mode really subdues the car.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,776 Posts
I've had the opportunity to test drive four different Giulias now. Never an AWD though.

The Ti Performance Package (Q2) makes all the difference in the world. It really transforms the car and the DNA switch changes the car, all of the car.

There is the Active Suspension that allows for shock damping changes on the fly.

And, there is the Limit Slip Differential use in the Quad (QV) that it part of the Q2 package.

Dynamic Mode tightens up the steering feel, brake response, throttle response and power, transmission logic and torque converter, suspension damping.

Almost two cars in one? I wish the exhaust would sound angrier in Dynamic. While higher revs do have an affect, I would like more.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

Almost two cars in one? I wish the exhaust would sound angrier in Dynamic. While higher revs do have an affect, I would like more.
Agreed. You can start by removing the muffler and resonator. I haven't heard it in person, but it should sound a lot like the Abarth and 4C.

I'm waiting for an aftermarket system that uses the DNA switch to open and close a bypass so she sounds calm in Natural Mode and angry in Dynamic Mode.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts

Z,
I believe that a correction is needed here. The limited slip differential in the 4cyl cars is not the same as in the Quad. The Quad comes with an electronic torque vectoring LSD. The Ti (with Performance Package option), gets a mechanical LSD. Big difference.

Reactions: beta2alfa

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,776 Posts
When you go in for a test drive, make sure to request a Giulia. The dealer probably won't have any Guilias.

Best steering I've had since a Miata.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Z,
I believe that a correction is needed here. The limited slip differential in the 4cyl cars is not the same as in the Quad. The Quad comes with an electronic torque vectoring LSD. The Ti (with Performance Package option), gets a mechanical LSD. Big difference.
You might be right. That's what I had thought when I ordered my Ti, that the Ti Q2 and Quad don't share the same diffy.

Now I have the service repair manual and it shows the electronic torque vectoring LSD as installed in the Ti. That's why I said the Ti Q2 has the electronic torque vectoring LSD from the Quad.

I went back just now to look a bit closer. This must be a mistake. There is no data on any other differential, yet in the fluids section, there are three different rear LSDs listed and two open differentals. Also, to adding to the level of mistakes, there is no data on the 2.0 engine, it's cooling system or fuel system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
derped on the name :D

Thanks everybody for the info. I think since I am used to a heavy steering , I got distracted by the litheness. I am going to try out a ti with active suspension.

I am in agreement that BMW is getting watered down a bit, which is why I am heading in this direction. Well that and I have always wanted an Alpha after driving my friends 165.

·
Registered
81 Posts

Thanks everybody for the info. I think since I am used to a heavy steering , I got distracted by the litheness. I am going to try out a ti with active suspension.

I am in agreement that BMW is getting watered down a bit, which is why I am heading in this direction. Well that and I have always wanted an Alpha after driving my friends 165.
BMW is totally washed out. The 3 Series is now made in South Africa. Who will spending $45 to $50K on a car made in South Africa??

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
You might be right. That's what I had thought when I ordered my Ti, that the Ti Q2 and Quad don't share the same diffy.

Now I have the service repair manual and it shows the electronic torque vectoring LSD as installed in the Ti. That's why I said the Ti Q2 has the electronic torque vectoring LSD from the Quad.

I went back just now to look a bit closer. This must be a mistake. There is no data on any other differential, yet in the fluids section, there are three different rear LSDs listed and two open differentals. Also, to adding to the level of mistakes, there is no data on the 2.0 engine, it's cooling system or fuel system.
Z,
Sounds like typical Alfa factory admin lack of detail. When I worked as a tech at the local Alfa Dealer (90s) I saw quite a bit of this. I have seen in multiple places where the Ti LSD is described as mechanical, and the Quad LSD described as electronically torque vectoring. I too am disappointed about this. I wanted a torque vectoring LSD!
I have also read on this forum that others have stated that their emanuals are missing portions on the engine, etc. Someone posted that they contact Alfa? Mopar? about this and that it was acknowledged and that they were promised new emanuals .

·
Registered
5,506 Posts
Steering Feel???...the 2 BEST things about the Quadrifoglio are the steering & the Chassis/Suspension set-up...they work so well together!
don't confuse "light & direct" with less tactile...
My F80 M3 was better in all performance metrics than my E92 M3....but the E92 felt much better in steering, very direct, not floaty like the F80...this is what happens when you go with a different steering box and change hydraulic for electric...I get you want to save some weight..but at what cost??

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

@vw_pora
I'm going to edit the tread title now to reflect the correct smelling of Alfa Romeo Giulia. (see what I did by miss-smelling a word or two?)

·
Registered
526 Posts
My apologies for the sarcasm, I snapped...

Re the steering, it is my opinion that it's about as perfect as I could imagine. It's almost like it reads my mind. For some I can see this would be disconcerting at first but if given the chance, it all will make sense.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.