Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm not so sure that I trust the numbers in that article. I have seen other postings on this site that have indicated sales numbers that are very respectable for a new model that most people haven't even heard of yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Being absent from the US for twenty years means that there is a generation or more of people who know nothing about the mystique of Alfa. I can't see millennials diving into the Giulia market when they've never experienced the allure.

Most people under 30 are lemmings who will buy BMWs and Audis just like their big brothers and sisters did. It will take a while for the independent thinkers to take a chance on Giulia, especially since most of them are living in their parents' basements playing video games. ;-)

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Saw this article and just wanted to share it with the group

http://jalopnik.com/no-one-wants-to-buy-an-alfa-romeo-giulia-1796219373
Jalopnik is the Buzzfeed of cars, I don't believe 99% of what they say. They are preaching to their own choir who hates everything that isn't manual, and easy to work on -- in my not-so-humble opinion.

To me, the 4C was a car for enthusiasts, and the car that got them back into the US. This new Giulia is their first real car for the masses now. Finance is the biggest problem I think for them, as many (like myself) will want to lease. I am having a Giulia delivered tomorrow, but I will say that a 36 month 10k mi/yr lease is not where it needs to be, compared to something like Audi or BMW. But, give them time and everything will work out. It's pretty obvious people love these cars, and there is significant interest. Even if you want to compare Jaguar XE to Giulia, the XE is Jaguar, which has been in USA forever.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The numbers in the article are looking at full 2017 sales, when the Giulia really has only been available since February and is the first mainstream model for Alfa.

In the last 2 months, FCA has sold roughly same number of Giulias as Jag sold XEs and now pushing close to 1K units/month
Even the A4 only sells ~3K units/month, on average.
IMO, the current incentives $1750, going to $2750 last week are to clear out 2017 stock more than anything.

Giulia - http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/alfa-romeo/alfa-romeo-giulia/
Jag XE - http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/jaguar/jaguar-xe/
Audi A4 - http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/audi/audi-a4/

BTW, I just saw my 3rd Alfa in this wild on the way home from work. Black with chrome trim, so maybe a Lusso.
I've seen a Rosso Ti Sport twice, but not sure if it 's the same one or not.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The numbers in the article are looking at full 2017 sales, when the Giulia really has only been available since February and is the first mainstream model for Alfa.

In the last 2 months, FCA has sold roughly same number of Giulias as Jag sold XEs and now pushing close to 1K units/month
Even the A4 only sells ~3K units/month, on average.
IMO, the current incentives $1750, going to $2750 last week are to clear out 2017 stock more than anything.

Giulia - http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/alfa-romeo/alfa-romeo-giulia/
Jag XE - http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/jaguar/jaguar-xe/
Audi A4 - http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/audi/audi-a4/

BTW, I just saw my 3rd Alfa in this wild on the way home from work. Black with chrome trim, so maybe a Lusso.
I've seen a Rosso Ti Sport twice, but not sure if it 's the same one or not.
Got 3750 off mine on Saturday -- Another dealer (I do not recommend) offered me 6500 off a base Q4... thanks for including those links!

·
Registered
646 Posts
The car is so compelling against all competitors in that price range it is hard to see sales not continue to ramp up.

The interior alone is nicer than a jag or the BMW. (Audi Is hard to top though.)

The Giulia lease rates are much less compelling, but the current sales discount at least makes it more competitive.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I think the author of the article showed a lot of bias. For starters, the inflammatory headline states that "no-one wants to buy an Alfa Romeo Giulia", which is factually not true. The article itself contradicts that statement by showing that there are actual sales for the Giulia. So apparently there are some people out there who want to buy it. And second, the article implies that the Giulia should be selling in numbers that are similar to Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Cadillac right from the start, which is not a realistic expectation. It will take time to create a brand awareness for Alfa Romeo.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
All this is true, but the poor reliability of the importation process from Italy has really been getting under the skin of US dealers and customers. I have heard so much "they told us they were at port a month ago. "Seems we have to go on Italian standard time..." I am sure with a reliable supply chain twice as many of these cars would have sold. even more, if the infotainment failures/bugs were fixed, many more would dip a toe into the the Alfa Romeo waters...

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think this will need to revisited about 6 months after the Stelvio comes out. That, to me, will be the telltale sign if Alfa can really capture the US market.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The Stelvio is what's going to do it for them... hopefully.

The Giulia came out and it's extremely impressive, but bring the Stelvio in and solidify the fact that Alfa Romeo deserves to be a name known and recognized among the big dogs out there.

The Stelvio I think will boost sales for both models.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
Two models (OK, three with the 4C) makes for a product thin brand showroom. The dealer from which I got my Giulia also sells Fiats. Its large showroom has two 500s (one an Abarth), a 500L (remember those?), and a 500X (Spiders are selling so quickly they're rarely put on display). Alfa-wise, there are two 4Cs and six Giulias. Somehow feels imbalanced to me. While the Stelvio should help once it's available in quantity, the store's volume seems unsustainably low. Something more is needed.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
24 Posts
My guess is that a major problem is that the Alfa is sold by Fiat dealers. Most of my friends and acquaintances drive high end cars (Mercedes, BMW, you know) and would never think of shopping at a Fiat Dealer. Iv'e driven an Abarth for a while, so comfortable and natural for me. I'm ordering a 2018 because it's clearly the best in category, but high-end buyers outside of enthusiasts have no idea.

So, the Giulia needs to be displayed outside the Fiat dealer showroom. My girlfriend went to an Italian Club event where a white TI was displayed. She had not even heard of Alfa, fell in love with it's beauty and bought one two weeks later. She was never going to a Fiat dealer.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
going to be interesting where BMW sales land since included maintenance ended with the 2016 model year....that's one of the reasons we got a 2016 340X-Drive M-Sport in Nov. of 2016.
from 2017 going forward, brakes & such are on your dime....
I agree that when Alfa gets themselves together from a finance perspective and decide to eat the initial low residuals until they get a footing it will be a bit of an uphill climb...but they are def. going in the right direction....the Stelvio will be their horse....they better not screw the pooch with that one!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
I talked to my dealer today and they have only received 15 Giulia's so far this year. They could have sold more, but have not had enough inventory.
I suppose it depends on the dealer and where you are...the dealer where I bought my Quad from, and he is supposed to be considered small, though one of the first Alfa dealers in the US...as of now IF his website is accurate he has 4 Quads and over 20 Guilia Ti most are AWD....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Fiat / Alfa marraige

I tend to agree that the FIAT / Alfa marriage is a bit forced.....Unfortunately FIAT did not restart well in the US....Reliability ratings were poor and that fact (whether valid or not) is floating around ....to tie Alfa's relaunch with FIAT, when Alfa is obviously trying to fry bigger fish (Merc, BMW, Audi) seems silly...That segment of the market (to the average car buyer) is all about IMAGE !!! Is it logical to sell a $90 K super sedan next to a $15 k Base 500 Pop ? Alfa should have been teamed up with Maserati...a car with a historically poor reliability reputation but not in the average public's collective conscious....Rather a name that rings of
MYSTIQUE !!!! Don't get me wrong, I've had two Masers and have had no issues with either one, but let's not forget about the BiTurbo (maybe the biggest maintenance headache ever known to man)....Alfa would have been a chic alternative to the Maser and would have sold at a discount...Boom, instant image...."Who sells them there Alpha Romeros"....."I went to the Maserati dealer in town"..... "OOOOHHHHH, I see"....Ferrari should be "stand alone".....Maser and Alfa together...and FIAT left to fight it out with the KIAs, Chevys, Hyundais, Toyotas, etc, etc, etc.....

Reactions: Gfrfan

·
Registered
365 Posts
I tend to agree that the FIAT / Alfa marriage is a bit forced.....Unfortunately FIAT did not restart well in the US....Reliability ratings were poor and that fact (whether valid or not) is floating around ....to tie Alfa's relaunch with FIAT, when Alfa is obviously trying to fry bigger fish (Merc, BMW, Audi) seems silly...That segment of the market (to the average car buyer) is all about IMAGE !!! Is it logical to sell a $90 K super sedan next to a $15 k Base 500 Pop ? Alfa should have been teamed up with Maserati...a car with a historically poor reliability reputation but not in the average public's collective conscious....Rather a name that rings of
MYSTIQUE !!!! Don't get me wrong, I've had two Masers and have had no issues with either one, but let's not forget about the BiTurbo (maybe the biggest maintenance headache ever known to man)....Alfa would have been a chic alternative to the Maser and would have sold at a discount...Boom, instant image...."Who sells them there Alpha Romeros"....."I went to the Maserati dealer in town"..... "OOOOHHHHH, I see"....Ferrari should be "stand alone".....Maser and Alfa together...and FIAT left to fight it out with the KIAs, Chevys, Hyundais, Toyotas, etc, etc, etc.....
Alfa of Buffalo NY is joined with in their Maserati dealer, as is the Alfa dealership in Rochester NY paired with Maserati.

As I understand it, existing Fiat and Maserati dealerships were BOTH offered Alfa Romeo franchises by FCA, so this is why you'll see some dealers that are Alfa Romeo Fiat and some that are Alfa Romeo Maserati.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts