Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the effects of corona virus in Italy are getting worse, what is the status of the area around the Alfa factory? Are the workers able to get in? Any supply chain issues?

·
Registered
120 Posts
The factory is in Cassino (in the Lazio region), we know some folks just outside of there and so far no issues. The most affected areas are up north - Lombardy and Veneto. The virus might affect suppliers but I think the factory is 'safe' for now.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I'm buying a case of Corona today to help the Mexican beer company. I feel badly for them. I remember back in the 80's the AIDS epidemic put the appetite suppressant Ayds out of business.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I'm buying a case of Corona today to help the Mexican beer company. I feel badly for them. I remember back in the 80's the AIDS epidemic put the appetite suppressant Ayds out of business.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Agree with @Tazio!1901 from my brief internet research. 20X deadlier than influenza, but still a small number (~2% worse in the eldeerly). But of course one does not want to be in the 2%.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Vitamin C from a lime couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
It was reported about 10 days ago that the Cassino plant may have to face temporary closure due to Chinese made components in the cars coming in. But this was never confirmed nor was there any follow up I'm aware of, and the plant has high levels of inventory of the necessary Chinese components in the meantime. So I think we need to keep an eye out for the March schedule for the plant. Usually ClubAlfa.it will publish news on the schedule and other plant matters

·
Registered
4,005 Posts
this fellow seems to be on top of this.
he posted the Johns Hopkins Report that was in the Corriere della Sera

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ebola: 50-ish% mortality rate, far harder to catch (body contact, body fluid contact in person)
COVID-19: 2-ish% mortality rate, far easier to catch (droplet transmission including airborne droplets, live on surface up to 9 days, and that's where the hand transmission comes in, we all touch our face unknowingly a zillion times)
Influenza (H1N1 1918 strain): 2.5% mortality rate, 2x easier to catch than COVID-19 (based on current knowledge of COVID), 100+ million dead by some estimates, but modern health systems, planning, and control systems did not exist, plus aggravated by slow speed of information distribution & returning WW1 soldiers, redistribution of populations due to WW1, etc.)

There is no need to freak out, but we can learn from the past. And yet, developed countries with non-opaque systems such as Italy and South Korea have a 0-1000+ explosion of cases in about a week.

People are freaking out as this was Ebola but in reality is just like a common flu.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
It was reported about 10 days ago that the Cassino plant may have to face temporary closure due to Chinese made components in the cars coming in. But this was never confirmed nor was there any follow up I'm aware of, and the plant has high levels of inventory of the necessary Chinese components in the meantime. So I think we need to keep an eye out for the March schedule for the plant. Usually ClubAlfa.it will publish news on the schedule and other plant matters
the entire word will really feel it come April when all these Chinese made products are on back order. Hope a solution happens before that.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Agree with @Tazio!1901 from my brief internet research. 20X deadlier than influenza, but still a small number (~2% worse in the eldeerly). But of course one does not want to be in the 2%.
It is likely more than 20x worse. It is 20x deadlier for people who get infected and diagnosed, but there is a moderately effective flu vaccine and a lot of people have some immunity to the flu. Thus when the general population is exposed it could reasonably be more like 100-200x deadlier. What we have no clue about is how many people get COVID-19 and are not diagnosed because they only had mild symptoms.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ebola: 50-ish% mortality rate, far harder to catch (body contact, body fluid contact in person)
COVID-19: 2-ish% mortality rate, far easier to catch (droplet transmission including airborne droplets, live on surface up to 9 days, and that's where the hand transmission comes in, we all touch our face unknowingly a zillion times)
Influenza (H1N1 1918 strain): 2.5% mortality rate, 2x easier to catch than COVID-19 (based on current knowledge of COVID), 100+ million dead by some estimates, but modern health systems, planning, and control systems did not exist, plus aggravated by slow speed of information distribution & returning WW1 soldiers, redistribution of populations due to WW1, etc.)

There is no need to freak out, but we can learn from the past. And yet, developed countries with non-opaque systems such as Italy and South Korea have a 0-1000+ explosion of cases in about a week.
That's what I say. There is no need to freak out. In the meantime, my P&G stock closed last Friday at $113.23 vs $125 two weeks ago. The DJ at 25,409 and the S&P500 at 2,954. It's crazy knowing that 15,000 people die in the US every year because of the flu and there are not concerns.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Tonight I drank 6 Coronas. I'm doing my part...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It's about "potential" and the perception of risk when it comes to the market, right, nothing about immediate reality.

That's what I say. There is no need to freak out. In the meantime, my P&G stock closed last Friday at $113.23 vs $125 two weeks ago. The DJ at 25,409 and the S&P500 at 2,954. It's crazy knowing that 15,000 people die in the US every year because of the flu and there are not concerns.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts