Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I click the link it just goes to the Alfa USA website and I don’t see an Alfa Connect app on the iTunes App Store...

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Mopar Connect website certainly does not have any of those features to connect with your car.
Without a WiFi built into the car or OnStar, how could this possibly work?

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
That is the Alfa Romeo app that you can download from the App Store. It is listed under "Alfa Romeo for Owners."
You enter your VIN# and it is linked to your car - but not live-linked. It merely keeps track of records relating to your car that are entered by the dealer and by the manufacturer.
For example, it lists the mileage entered by the dealer every time your car was brought in for service. It lists any applicable recalls. And it lists manufacturer recommended maintenance every 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
^^ the picture in OP is not showing my Alfa app....it certainly appears like some kind off connectivity app....it is most likely not available anywhere yet....I must say I never cared for Audi connect either...the only good thing about wireless was live traffic info and actual traffic incidents description...my last one was still 3G so even hot spot was crap transfer wise....

·
Registered
134 Posts
^^ the picture in OP is not showing my Alfa app....it certainly appears like some kind off connectivity app....it is most likely not available anywhere yet....I must say I never cared for Audi connect either...the only good thing about wireless was live traffic info and actual traffic incidents description...my last one was still 3G so even hot spot was crap transfer wise....
That is the magic of Marketing. :grin2:

·
Registered
316 Posts
The Mopar Connect website certainly does not have any of those features to connect with your car.
Without a WiFi built into the car or OnStar, how could this possibly work?
It looks to me like some 3rd party app someone (maybe even FCA) put together;
1) just a link to the Alfa roadside assistance number
2) a link to the Google "find my car" app for parking, and
3) a link to the FCA Alfa Connect website.

Ain't marketing wonderful?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Alfa Connect is a FCA product/service, currently available in Europe.

It's an additional box, manufactured by Magneti Marelli (which integrates a GSM module and a GPS antenna). It is mounted under the dashboard, on the passenger side, and is powered via a fuse tap on the Body Computer Module. It connects to the CAN network, to the door open signal wire, and, through a relay, to the ignition block wire.

Here's the website describing the services offered.
https://www.alfaromeoconnect.eu/en/features/discover

And this is the box.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All GM products come with this via an app and OnStar.
After a free year, they then want to charge you $25 a month or so, which I certainly didn’t need, but a good feature for anyone that often locks their keys in their car, or lives in a high theft area etc.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,803 Posts
so via an app i can lock my car remotely

in the Megane that would happen simply by walking away from it ... why not Alfa?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Verizon Hum

Verizon Hum will do all the same stuff. You pay 10 a month extra for an additional device. Cheaper than on Star and gives you location, activity, what is your wife doing with your QV now and yadda yadda. You haven’t a small mifi that basically turns the car into a hotspot.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
It's great until you add up how much it costs and consider the risk that someone will figure out how to hack into your car and make it do things that you do not want. Note that car mfgs vigorously prosecute anyone who legitimately explores if car systems are hackable, that way there is no "above board" third party validation that these systems cannot be hacked.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Jeez. Why would they not add remote start to this? I live in Minnesota, the land of 5 month winters, and park in a parking structure that is 6 blocks from my office. The lack of an ability to remote start my vehicle from an app when it's -10 outside (which I can get on a $20k Chevy) was almost a deal-breaker for me. I'm bummed to see that Alfa may be adding wifi connectivity but leaving out remote start.

Looks like I'll have to get a third party app to do it. Anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
402 Posts
BMW has a version of this. It's really slick. In addition to being able to lock, unlock, start the car, you can enter in a destination to your nav system, get in the car, click on messages and boom, it's in the nav system. No more sitting outside inputting the destination, or looking for the address to a POI.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I like the idea of being able too upload info but more then one person being able to do it I don’t know about that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
BMW has a version of this. It's really slick. In addition to being able to lock, unlock, start the car, you can enter in a destination to your nav system, get in the car, click on messages and boom, it's in the nav system. No more sitting outside inputting the destination, or looking for the address to a POI.
I can do the navigation part through Apple CarPlay. I enter the destination in Apple Map on my phone, connect the phone to the car and boom it brings up the map in the infotainment system.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts