Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am on holiday in Japan right now by the Japanese alps.. yesterday we spotted an Alfa as we were driving to our next destination... - thought at first a Giulia but outside of town it passed us and was a hatchback type coupe with Brera on the back.... Very Sleek and Sharp Looking!!!! Curious if anyone ever has driven one of these or its cousin the Spider 939. Bummer neither model made it to the USA.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes. Based on the same platform as the 159. Biggest issue with it is how heavy it was. Got better with the 2008 Model Year, but still hasn't sold too well.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
yes, had one as a rental in England, 4 cylinder version with manual and annoying parking sensors.
Quite a joy for me to drive, maybe colored by the fact that most of our rentals aren't so sporty and I am an alfa fanboy. My only complaint, as with the rented 164 in Italy, was that it is FWD.
Not really noticeable in regular/cruising driving, but obvious through the wheel (especially if catching mud on the outside) on those narrow twisty roads, which I guess can be blamed on Roman conquerers. They must have liked the Cotswalds as much (oh, is that Malvern Link over the next hill?) as my wife. We didn't stop in Little Compton except to get a picture of the sign.
I do think the rear window shape should have been carried over to the stelvio - and if they channeled 6 inches out of the body height and turned it into a two door....the Brea is still a nicer size to drive, and the stelvio would still have more room for people and stuff.
Like current, the 4 cylinder has more than adequate power but I would have liked to try an AWD V6.
Backseat was a little bigger than a 105 GTV, as was the trunk.

There was recently a spider for sale in MA. If not for the FWD ...

·
Registered
25 Posts
My father owns a 3.2 spider for ten years, now.

I drive it sometimes, always top down. It's a nice cruising car, with nice sound, but not sporty at all.

A picture of our cars, including my mother's car, the 500X.

Yes, we like red cars ! >:)

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Silly, I have read the V6 makes the car too nose heavy, making the 4 a more sporty drive. Not sure how much that contributes, and how much more power makes the fwd tugging stand out.
On brief test drives of the 164S V6 in the US, that, along with the wrong end reacting when accelerating out of a corner, stood out to me enough to remind me how absolutely wrong fwd is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Spider 3.2 is a 4x4, so no driving sensation like a fwd will have.

But the car is really heavy, for a spider, more than 1700 kg.
It's huge for a two seater. My QV is lighter !

I've never driven a fwd Spider/Brera, so I can't tell you if it's sportier.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
as they fall into the category of "not available here", and with the fwd not personally desired, they also fall into the category of limited knowledge of details/family/differences etc for me.

like a RWD only stelvio, which I would might be happier with than the AWD V6, and I'd get a choice of seats in the bargain.

alas, Pieter's research indicates I do not exist - or at least that I am insignificant.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
A friend reported not being able to select Lusso in the Stelvio configurator. Should it just be a package within/under the Ti?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
there is a manual transmission too, MacGeek, but the way I read his Trucktrends interview, we won't see a RWD only Stelvio in the US.

yeah, Chip, I've had trouble with that too - but I've seen pics of it...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I was talking specifically about the US. In fact, it is the only market where such a version is currently planned.

As for the Lusso, it's technically managed as a version.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
WOW!
that is news - and if it comes with Race mode and seating choices (a sport /lusso version), I expect it will do very well. not everyone has snow, and many who do don't much care for AWD.

everything I have read says AWD for the US, and an "entry level" RWD (usually diesel is mentioned) version for Europe only.

I may go with the excessive version anyway though, it might come down to which is here first, and if the Q generates as much laughter and grins when tested as it does in the Giulia.

·
Registered
334 Posts
The Brera was an absolutely beautiful car, it has one of the best front ends ever developed. Unfortunately it was also front wheel drive and underpowered and never made it to the states, although you could see them all over Spain\Italy\Germany. I wish they could make a Brera 2 with rear-wheel drive and a superior suspension and weight modification and bring it to the states. They are gorgeous to look at ......

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
The Brera was an absolutely beautiful car, it has one of the best front ends ever developed. Unfortunately it was also front wheel drive and underpowered and never made it to the states, although you could see them all over Spain\Italy\Germany. I wish they could make a Brera 2 with rear-wheel drive and a superior suspension and weight modification and bring it to the states. They are gorgeous to look at ......
Maybe that's the design direction AR should follow with a Giulia-based coupe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This was mine, beautiful to look at ,but definitely not a sports car. This was chalk and cheese to the quad.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts