Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was just at the gas station and I turned off the car and got out. The alarm stared blaring. I figured I hit the panic button by accident somehow, except, I didn't. The key was in my pocket the whole time. Then when I wen to try and turn the alarm off, I couldn't. I tried everything. locking and unlocking the doors with the fob. trying manually with the physical key. Turning the car on and of and so on. I tried locking and unlocking from inside the car. NOTHING WORKED! it was so awkward. everyone was staring like I was a total moron while I filled my gas tank. The cute girl inside the shop came out and tried to help but obviously there was nothing she could do, so that was also a little awkward. Eventually after a few mins, it shut off on its own. I laughed it off and went about getting my gas.
Then I got home and exited the car and the same thing happened again! I couldn't turn it off. it just had to run its course. I'm afraid to go back out. I have a fantasy football draft tonight and a lot of my friends have yet to see the car. I was hoping to make an entrance, but not like this! I don't know what to do about it.

Has anyone had this sort of issue before or know a remedy? I really don't want to have to go through this again in public.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
No messages on the instrument cluster ?

Make sure all doors and the hood are properly closed...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Everything properly closed....??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep. I'm not sure what could possibly be causing it. I'm about to head out to the store. Hopefully it won't happen again. Any idea if theres a fuse that can be disconnected if it does?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
MacGeek might be able to supply you with that answer....Let us know what happens...maybe use your other key fob ??

·
Registered
437 Posts
Did you try hitting the panic button again? Stupid question as I'm aware you said you tried everything, but just wanted to confirm if you did in fact hit the panic button again to turn it off.

I've also accidentally set off my alarm and I thought hitting unlock / lock button would stop it, and it didn't, so like you I was embarrassed and freaking out... I thought hitting the panic button again would be counter productive BUT it did in fact turn off the alarm... Strange design....

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've done it too. Key in my pocket, but when I bent over it hit the button just right. If you panic, like I did, and start just hitting buttons, you can't shut it off. You have to hit the panic button again before hitting anything else. I had to start the car and drive it away to get it up to speed to shut the alarm off. Now I try not to keep my key FOB in my pocket if I can help it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MacGeek might be able to supply you with that answer....Let us know what happens...maybe use your other key fob ??
So I just went out and I did take the other fob instead. No issues. I don't know if the fob was the problem or if I just had a weird 20 mins the previous time. Fingers crossed it was just some fluke. I have to go back out tonight, so I guess we'll see what happens

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you try hitting the panic button again? Stupid question as I'm aware you said you tried everything, but just wanted to confirm if you did in fact hit the panic button again to turn it off.

I've also accidentally set off my alarm and I thought hitting unlock / lock button would stop it, and it didn't, so like you I was embarrassed and freaking out... I thought hitting the panic button again would be counter productive BUT it did in fact turn off the alarm... Strange design....
Yeah, so I tried using everything lol. Maybe you just need to push the panic button first before anything else? Idk. It's an Alfa. She's as gorgeous as they come, but man will she throw some bat bleep crazy your way every now and then!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've done it too. Key in my pocket, but when I bent over it hit the button just right. If you panic, like I did, and start just hitting buttons, you can't shut it off. You have to hit the panic button again before hitting anything else. I had to start the car and drive it away to get it up to speed to shut the alarm off. Now I try not to keep my key FOB in my pocket if I can help it.
Ok, this is good to know! I know I didn't hit panic first to stop it. I figured it would be unlock. but then that didn't work and I went into a mini frenzy using buttons and whatnot. Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but if it does, I'll try hiding panic again first. Chaiguy said the same thing basically, so that must be the key to stopping it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've had this problem as well. It seems hitting the panic button stops it, in my case. The button is sensitive and if you have a wallet or other such object in the same pocket as the key fob, the button can easily be set off. It really does what it says--starts a panic!

I've also opened the trunk and been unable to shut it. Turns out I left the key fob inside the car in a front drink cup and the car won't lock and the trunk won't close so long as the key fob is inside the car.

Others on this forum have modified the key fob to desensitized or disabled the panic button. But, others report overall high sensitivity of all buttons. Looks like a redesign is called for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
happened to me a couple times already, and i just got the car a week ago....but i hit the panic button first, and it stopped. I too have it in my pocket, but i think as others mentioned its very sensitive. I now keep nothing else in my pocket with the key.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I disabled the button as others have done per instructions in other thread.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yes, as stated you need to hit panic to stop the panic alarm, also the panic alarm will activate from farther away than it will shut off. Believe it or not this is for your own safety, for instance if someone was following you and you were afraid, you can hit the panic button to draw attention to you, so if the person attacks you and grabs the fob they may not know to hit panic to stop the alarm, so if they hit the wrong button it will continue going off. Same as why it goes off from far away but you need to be closer to shut it down, that way if he gets your fob while you’re far from the car, it won’t deactivate.
I do believe that if you hit panic, then another button, panic should still shut the alarm down if you press and hold the panic button.....I don’t have an Alfa here with me, but I can try it Monday to confirm.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
This might be different than the panic button but There is a recall on the alarm sensor. Just found out today. My Alfa mechanic called me and said it’s an easy swap. My break in alarm has gone off 7 times in the rain today. Crazy annoying. Just beeps over and over. Mechanic said he would drive to my house and swap it. Can’t beat that service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I was just at the gas station and I turned off the car and got out. The alarm stared blaring. I figured I hit the panic button by accident somehow, except, I didn't. The key was in my pocket the whole time. Then when I wen to try and turn the alarm off, I couldn't. I tried everything. locking and unlocking the doors with the fob. trying manually with the physical key. Turning the car on and of and so on. I tried locking and unlocking from inside the car. NOTHING WORKED! it was so awkward. everyone was staring like I was a total moron while I filled my gas tank. The cute girl inside the shop came out and tried to help but obviously there was nothing she could do, so that was also a little awkward. Eventually after a few mins, it shut off on its own. I laughed it off and went about getting my gas.
Then I got home and exited the car and the same thing happened again! I couldn't turn it off. it just had to run its course. I'm afraid to go back out. I have a fantasy football draft tonight and a lot of my friends have yet to see the car. I was hoping to make an entrance, but not like this! I don't know what to do about it.

Has anyone had this sort of issue before or know a remedy? I really don't want to have to go through this again in public.
I too had the problem and I can assure you I did not hit the panic button. In fact I hit the button thinking that's what it was but when I did - TWO horn sounds went off. The first time I was on a golf driving range about a quarter of a mile from my car and the key was in the golf cart so no one touched it. It went off for over 5 mins and I got quite a few comments and yes it was very embarrassing.

·
Registered
540 Posts

That’s what I found does it. Hair of the dog.

·
Registered
459 Posts
This may be standard FCA design. My Fiat 500X alarm is also turned off by hitting the panic button. (I seem to recall that this is also the same procedure for VW and Mazda cars)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts