Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to drop and air ride to my 2018 giulia ti, i been looking around to see if anyone make the air suspension for it yet but it looks like no luck.. does anyone knows any company that makes the air ride for this car???

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I was pointed to Umbrella Auto Design, who can custom fabricate a VRH system to fit any vehicle with coil overs. They also claim to be able to modify stock systems to coil over. VRH leaves the metal springs in places and adds a pneumatic piston above the shock to allow on the road height adjustments.

Unlike other manufacturers that also make VRH systems, the Umbrella system is fabricated from high strength low friction 7075 Aluminum. They claim this allows the system to be driven in the lifted position as compared to the competition's "short term lifting only" (reference KW's webpage) which are all 6061 aluminum.

I do not know anyone who has the Umbrella system to be able to confirm their claims.

My thinking is to be able to lower a Q4 by 1" for "normal" driving (this makes the height similar to a RWD 2.0T Giulia) while being able to lift the vehicle by 1" above stock for driving in deep snow, over rough roads, and over obstacles or just helping passengers with bad knees get in and out. I do not know if the suspension has enough travel to accommodate this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ll be air ridding my 2018 Giulia next week over the stock suspension. Follow my IG Alfa_giulie if you want to see how that goes.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
I love the idea. That is one reason I was impressed with the Tesla, for Chicago.
I do to. Sounds like a pipe dream though. Why can't there hydraulic systems keep the car raised? And why can't coilovers raise the car higher than stock height? I also heard the air suspension aren't ok for tracking...

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
I do to. Sounds like a pipe dream though. Why can't there hydraulic systems keep the car raised? And why can't coilovers raise the car higher than stock height? I also heard the air suspension aren't ok for tracking...
IMO, because there is not enough market for it to pay the development costs.

Only relatively small adjustments are viable in any case. Roughly 1" up or 1" down relative to stock for suspension with as much travel as Giulia's. Even so, don't expect optimal handling in the raised or lowered positions without making other changes.

Personally, I want lowered for better highway fuel economy and raised for coping with deep(er) snow. For on-road handling I don't think height adjustments are going to improve on the near perfection that comes with the car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Changing the ride height changes the suspension geometry. Range rovers use actuators in the steering system to keep everything straight as the suspension moves up and down. I would tread carefully here. You could have alignment issues with an aftermarket kit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts